“Wonderful”

Thala Beach Nature Reserve
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oak Beach
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We spent 4nights recently in this place, should have been 5 but cyclone Ita intervened!
We had a wonderful time. Pools and the lodge area were very clean and comfortable. Staff helpful though not intrusive or over-bearing. I had problems walking so was pleased to see that the staff were always available to 'ferry' you from your room p the inclines to the lodge. This wasn't provided just for the infirm, but made very clear it was for anyone at any time. Restaurant food brilliant. On the day before the cyclone hit, staff were busy moving all furniture from the open areas upstairs to down below, but were always on hand to help with luggage into taxis etc. no complaints at all. Saw no cockroaches, but loads of geckos.
Not a place that caters for children. No fitness centre or similar, though you got fit walking about the site and up and down to the fantastic beach!

Room Tip: Go for the more expensive tree tops room where views are to die for.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lesley T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,508)

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We recently stayed at the Thala Beach Lodge for the first time... and we were not disappointed. Think of Thala Beach Lodge as camping in style....with fine dining, a cabin with air conditioning, mini-bar, beaches and trails, and two secluded hilltop swimming pools in which one may cool off. We found the staff to always be cheerful, courteous, and welcoming... the expansive open air restaurant has beautiful near-360 degree views of ocean and mountains, and since there is almost always a nice breeze blowing, it didn't seem to ever feel hot and humid as it can in the lowlands of Cairns and Port Douglas. We stayed in Eucalypt Bungalow #8 which was a beautiful paved (uphill) trail walk along the cliffs to the main pool and lobby. The room had a distant partial view of the ocean - we could always hear the waves crashing - but we didn't have the full ocean views of some of the Coral Sea Bungalows, which were quite a bit more expensive. Rooms are "cabin like" on the side of the hill...not opulent, but comfortable. I would suggest that the bathrooms/beds needed to be updated a bit to get the 5-star rating, but that didn't detract from our wonderful relaxing experience. Great rainforest and waterfall sightseeing nearby...

Room Tip: Jungle rooms are not view rooms and may be next to parking lots or other less attractive features...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnbhansen
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Had a great stay at Thala. The accommodation was a nice change from the standard hotel. The grounds were amazing and trails provided a great opportunity to explore. Beautiful beach and pool areas. Food was amazing for both dinner and breakfast. One of the highlights was taking a Nature Walk with Brett the Head Gardner. We saw the resident Osprey pair feeding, had fresh coconut from the plantation and learned about other plants, birds, lizards and spiders. Very cool!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nick C
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Loved it here! Slept so well with only the birds interrupting complete tranquility. Service generally very good and attentive. A problem we encountered was transport to Port Douglas, the hotel depends on the service of an airline shuttle bus and it can be unreliable, meaning you are pretty much marooned at the lodge or have to pay $55 cab fare one way.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank CBarnes1
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We returned to Thala almost 7 years after we got married there. The lodge and grounds are very well maintained and the bungalows, although not that new anymore, are still very nice indeed. The main building is beautiful and the view is fantastic, unbeatable. Staff are very friendly and willing to help wherever they can. Wildlife was still around everywhere, with a large number of toads hopping around over the path (I understood they are now regarded as a pest).
We were unlucky, as was the whole of Northern Queensland, that cyclone Ita was on her way to the coast. Therefore our stay was cut short (just one night in the same bungalow as during our wedding) and we escaped Queensland before Ita struck. A pity for us, holidaymakers, who were very much looking forward to relaxing on the beach and enjoying the good things that Thala has to offer. But much more a pity for the locals, who had property damaged, crops wiped out and sustained economic damage. Fortunately nobody got killed or injured during the storm.
The evacuation of the guests was managed in a professional and relaxed way – although staff were working very hard to secure and protect all furniture and material.
It was great to be back at Thala after 7 years and renew our memories of the familiar places. We will not wait another 7 years for our next visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank expat_sealover
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I'm in the wrong hotel. I'm in the wrong kind of hotel. It's not the hotel's fault. My travel agent should have put me in a hotel in Port Douglas because I have been on excursions since arriving and other than the bungalow, reception and restaurant I have not been able to enjoy any of the other facilities of this huge estate. Therefore my review can only be about what I have experienced where the basics are involved and I can assure you they were to the highest standard!
The. Bungalow - Eucalypt Class. Colonial style decor in a bungalow on stilts, at treetop level. Classic design, Aicon which does the job inside while it's 33 degrees outside with 85% humidity. The huge balcony out back was well furnished. It even had an ash-tray and matches for us smokers! The bathroom - huge. Dressing Area -it has a dressing area! The bed - huge and very comfortable. Hardwood floors. Well furnished.
Reception - the friendliest staff on earth. Simple as! Had answers to all questions, no matter how stupid, added local knowledge and personal experience. Huge thanks to Frankie who drove me around on the golf buggy the night I arrived, jet lagged to hell - and back! He was delighted to transport me what turned out to be stupidly short distances, because it was dark and raining heavily and I was new. Anyone who comments that they love their job is a credit to their employer - I found one!!
The Restaurant - I am a foodie! I like to cook and eat fine food. I like to try new things but I also expect the classics to be served well. Not disappointed here and indeed impressed. The menu is on their website and I can highly recommend Lamb Ribs and Smoked Duck as mains. There are also specials on offer each evening I found. I went of to find out that they are very special! The Seared Scallops, the Tempura Oyster, the Eye Steak, the Prawns with Polenta. Quirky combinations were beautifully presented. And speaking of presentation the staff on the restaurant floor were just what I needed. Patient, well informed of the menu, knew their wines and treated me, a single guest, like a mate/friend. Little by way of formality was needed by me, I'm essentially on an activity holiday, yet they made me feel special and a bit posh! I was delighted to meet Chef, Catherine and thank her for the wonderful tastebud moments and interesting combinations.
PS. Perfect place for a romantic holiday but that's not why I was staying here. Bad Trailfinders!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank MichealMacSuibhne
Reviewed 15 April 2014

It is one of the most beautiful places to stay. Individual cottages in a rain forest like setting.
Nature walks, picnic on the beach or just chill out at the resort. Day trips to the Barrier reef, rain forest etc available. Views from the restaurant are marvellous. Does not come cheap.

Room Tip: You have to tell them to clean the room. If not it is cleaned every other day
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Peppers Beach Club
Peppers Beach Club
#11 of 42 in Port Douglas
Pullman Port Douglas Sea Temple Resort & Spa

Been to Thala Beach Nature Reserve? Share your experiences!