“Stunning architecture!!”

Chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Stunning architecture!!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Very beautiful place...one of the best Indian architecture you will ever see outside India..good vegetarian food and you can also catch a glimpse of beautiful peacocks dancing in the garden.

1 Thank Ashu D

Suphan Buri, Thailand
153 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Love it.”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I'm not Hindu, but I loved visiting this mandir multiple times. It's absolutely gorgeous, and if you're a fellow lover of world religions, you'll appreciate a little self-guided tour. The Forest of Pillars is serene, beautiful, and powerful (or at least I found it to be). I also bought a book in the gift shop for a great price ($3) that is a great collection of essays on life, applying to everyone, not those of the Hindu religion.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank clearing_boxer
Schaumburg
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Very disappointing!”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

On October 2013 I traveled with my friends from Poland and we deceided to visit this temple as one of my guests-friends is classical Bharatanatyam dancer (indian form of dance).
That day we were comming from another temple in Aurora where she had her dance recital so she was dressed stage likewise. When we came there at the gate we were informed that because we are with that woman we can't do any photos! What an ignorance! What is this place about? Looks like there is more ignorant security people then visitors. This beautiful dancer after making long dispute with security was allowed to enter the temple but we all were followed by this ignorants in uniforms.
Nobody could gave me any logical answer why we can't do any photos outside of the bulding.
I will never ever take any of my friends to this place especially from Europe.

10 Thank Srivani D
Washington DC, District of Columbia
471 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 863 helpful votes
“worth making the trip”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

First, I agree with others that coming here for a spiritual experience is a stretch for most people. Unless one has some familiarization with Hindu spiritualism, the building will likely leave you scratching your head.

But...if you appreciate extraordinary hand craftmanship in marble and wood, this is a must see. I visited India, Nepal and Bhutan in the past year, seeing some amazing Hindu and Bhudist temples, but I must confess that not even one of all these temples was in pristine condition. The best were in Bhutan in terms of condition, but none of them can compare with the immaculate temple near Chicago.

Tons of Carrara marble and Turkish granite were shipped to India for the handcrafted stone temple. The central dome alone weighs two tons, with no supports. No nails, screws or bolts were used in the assembly. The 30 small domes each have a different design. The exquisite workmanship must be seen to be believed.

For me, stone tends to leave me cold. I can't resist wood carving, and the building adjacent to the temple, both inside and out, represents the highest quality wood work in the modern era. From the front of the building to the inner entrance and atrium, I marveled at the fine carving, rivaling the best I have seen in the choirs of churches in Europe, mosques and palaces in the middle east and the temples of South Asia. And...once again...the condition is so perfect that one does not need to imagine what it would look like if it wasn't so weather worn, mandhandled and poorly maintained, as some many of the historical temples, palaces and churches can be.

I had no idea this place existed until my brother insisted we visit. My wife and I felt it was definitely worth the diversion in our plans.

There will be a huge celebration for Diwali coming up, so I encourage others to make the journey here. Check their website for dates.

2 Thank Anthony-Susan
Chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“This place is a joke!”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This place is truly a joke!
From a spiritual point o view this temple has nothing to offer. The altars are closed and visitors can see only some digital photos of their gods.
When you walk inside the temple you will feel eyes on you of all this security people. It feels more like a correction institution!
The photos are not allowed inside which is so stupid, because except murble walls there is nothing else. Moreover if you have better camera and you want to do some photo shooting outdoor it is also not allowed.
Honestly it was huge waste of my and my frieds time. We dislike that place because of not welcome attitude of this people.

8 Thank Kate S