“Close-ish to the airport.”

Hampton Inn Chicago-Midway Airport
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bedford Park
District of Columbia
“Close-ish to the airport.”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Family and I stayed for one Friday night to spend a little time in the city on the way to other things for the weekend.

First: the good. Everything that works well with Hamptons works well here. The rooms are newly remodeled and well appointed. The bathroom was immaculate. The breakfast is solid. The staff is friendly and helpful. Amanda at the front desk did an amazing job of helping me sort out a problem with a prepaid Orbitz reservation while working alone, helping about a half dozen other customers at the same time. Kudos to her.

Then: the not awesome. Despite what the website says, this hotel is *not* two blocks from Midway Airport. It is at least half a mile from the fence on the perimeter edge of the airport property, and more than a mile from the door you exit with your luggage. It is in a very pedestrian-unfriendly stretch of Cicero Avenue, so you won't be walking anywhere. The free shuttle serves all of the hotels in the cluster, so be prepared to wait in an exhaust-choked holding area or pay 10 bucks for a cab. The shuttle does not, as the website advertises, take you to the CTA. It takes you to the airport, where you can walk a good distance through the baggage claim and garage to get to the CTA.

The hotel's walls are paper thin. You can hear every door closing nearby, the toilet flushing next door, the elevator and the footsteps of fellow guests. This was probably worse for us because we were right next to the elevator. If you happen to be staying without a car and thirst for an adult beverage in your room, be prepared and bring your own, or hike a scary mile or so in the other direction to Wal-Mart.

If you're looking to save a few bucks over hotels downtown and use this as your base to explore the city for multiple trips, spend the extra few bucks instead. If proximity to the airport is your number one goal and you travel with earplugs, this one will suit you just fine.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Maggie H, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Chicago-Midway Airport, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Hi childbride84,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Amanda is a great asset to our hotel and I was glad she was able to assist you with your reservation. I’m sorry if our website seems misleading. Chicago blocks are larger than your average city and it is a bit of a hike to the airport, which is why we offer the complimentary airport shuttle. TGI Friday’s does room service and will deliver alcohol to your room – I apologize that we did not make you aware of this amenity during your stay. Please contact me if you would like any compensation for the issues you experienced.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Turkish first
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

The location is great and very close to the Chicago center. About 15m drive. The bad thing is the price. The price of the room was already out of my budget, after came the very expensive taxes ans even the 15 dólar for the car per day. It was too much...

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Hi MiguelC0,
Thanks for your review! Our rates are seasonal and right now are a big higher due to the fact that we’re in peak travel season. We charge for parking because we hire an outside security company to patrol our parking lot at night. Please let me know if you’ll be returning in the future and I can try to negotiate a better rate with you. Thanks for staying with us!
Pittsburgh PA
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The Hampton Inn is located in a little hotel village not far from Midway Airport. There's a TGI Fridays and allegedly a Starbucks in the village too (I never did find the Starbucks).

The room was very nice (and big). The front desk staff was very friendly and enthusiastic. The shower was good and the bathroom as a whole was nice. The pillows and bed were very comfortable.

If you really care about road noise, you might want to pick a different one since the Hampton Inn is right on the main road, and others are further back. But I didn't think the noise was all that noticeable.

Breakfast is pretty standard, nothing spectacular but good enough. At least it was free! Very convenient to Midway but less convenient to I-55 since you have to drive through Midway to get there from the interstate.

Room Tip: Try to get one that isn't facing Cicero Ave if you can avoid it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jfranco77
Ashley K, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn Chicago-Midway Airport, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear JFranco,
Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us. We have three major restaurants that are within walking distance from the hotel. TGI Fridays does delivery and you have the option to charge it to the room. The Starbucks is located inside the Marriott which is directly behind The Hampton Inn. I’m ecstatic that staff was friendly and room was in good condition. I will be sure to share your review with my staff. We’d love to have you again!
Oceanside, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Motel is a typical Hampton Inn. Friendly and helpful staff. Older facilities but fairly recent and updated remodel. Very clean room. Breakfast was good and food was fresh. We ate a late breakfast so it was a surprise that the food was still fresh.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Constant d
Dear Constant,
Thanks for your review! Our rooms are recently remodeled as of the end of last year. We have a great housekeeping team and understand the value of cleanliness. I will be sure to share your comments with them. I’m pleased to hear that the breakfast was outstanding and still fresh at any hour. We appreciate your business and would love to see you soon.
Decatur, Alabama
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The front desk help was very courteous and helpful. Above average for sure!

The room (one king bed) appeared to be recently updated. Very nice decor and very clean. The bed was the typical Hampton Inn comfort level, which I really like. The bathroom was clean and updated as well.

The breakfast was the usual Hampton Inn breakfast. No surprise. It was kept well-stocked which can be problematic at other hotels at times.

Overall, I'd definitely stay here again, so of course I'd recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LordOfTheRooms
Maggie H, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Chicago-Midway Airport, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Hi LordOfTheRooms,
Thanks for your review! We definitely have an all star front desk team and I’ll be sure to pass along your kind words to them. We completed renovations at the end of last year – thanks for noticing! Our breakfast staff does a great job making sure everything stays stocked for our guests. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future!
P.S. Love your username!
Atlanta, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Great stay!!!! front desk agent that checked me in Nailha I think? was fantastic made me feel very welcome did an amazing job interacting and engaging me. I was walked by the airport but she made my day better.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Keon C
Hello Keon,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I’m glad you enjoyed the stay! Nailah is a guest service superstar and I’m happy to hear she made your day better. I’ll be sure to pass along your nice comments to her. Hopefully we’ll see you again in better circumstances!
Chesterfield, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Typical Hampton Inn hotel with good rooms, clean and up to date at a reasonable price. The complimentary breakfast and internet also made a nice difference. The staff was helpful from the booking to the check out and I would definitely stay there again if possible.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Hello Everson,
Thank you so much for all of your comments! We just finished renovating the entire hotel and I’m glad you enjoyed the rooms. I’ll be sure to pass along your comments to the staff. We hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford Park
Sleep Inn Midway Airport
#3 of 5 in Bedford Park
Holiday Inn Express Chicago-Midway Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Midway Airport

Been to Hampton Inn Chicago-Midway Airport? Share your experiences!