“Closed!”

Cuisines: Indian
Chicago, Illinois
“Closed!”
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Alas, this location of Himalayan is now closed.
This was our favorite Indian Restaurant. The kids loved it. They used to prepare flavorful food without making it spicy. We are going to miss this restaurant.

• Visited December 2012

Illinois
“Delicious and satisfying”
Reviewed 14 October 2012

My friends and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at The Himalayan one Friday evening in October 2012. It is a quick mile or so drive from the Hilton Indian Lakes Resort, and it was nice to get away from the hotel for a while. It was easy to find, in a small strip mall--mapping services correctly locate it. We arrived without a reservation but were seated promptly. Service was excellent and the menu offered a variety of Indian and Nepalese dishes. The atmosphere was clean, semi-formal, and comfortable. Good for families without small children, business dinners, dates, and special occasion outings.

The vegetable pakoras were large, tasty, and almost too filling as an appetizer; we also had some papad, which was good, if standard. The special biryani was delicious, the lamb curry was mouthwatering, the chickpea curry wonderful, the breads perfect, the raita refreshing, the rice aromatic and al dente, and the mango "ice cream" dessert was enjoyed, although it was a bit cloyingly sweet.

My only real complaint is that the Nepalese vegetable "momo" appetizer amounted to standard asian-style steamed dumplings (non-fried pot-sticker)--in other words, they were mundane. However, the momo might also have been perfectly authentic--it tasted good, if mild, but was just not what I was expecting. Had they been pictured on the menu, I would have known to choose something else.

We really had ordered more food than we could eat, but we wanted to have some variety! As a result, we paid a bit more than necessary, though this was a fairly good value, coming to about $20 per person excluding beverages or tip. (We did not imbibe, though it was offered.) I would definitely recommend The Himalayan to those seeking some spicy fare, and I'll definitely go back again when I'm next in the area.

And thanks to the waiter who ran out to our car to deliver a forgotten electronic device before we drove away!

• Visited October 2012
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Just the job”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

My friend and I showed up tired and hungry about half an hour before the posted closing time and the restaurant was quiet. We were very quickly attended to, had plenty of good choices on the menu, enjoyed the food and drink (the lamb curry was great) and we were able to finish up quickly and take boxes away of what we couldn't eat.

Fair prices and good quality - no complaints

Visited September 2012
“Good Vindaloo”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Like the previous reviewer, I too am from the UK and have always struggled to find a decent Indian in the US. Went to Himalayan a little dubious and was very pleasantly surprised.
Restaurant was roomy and staff were very attentive.
Food was great. Had the Vindaloo with Garlick Naan and Basmati rice.
Will certainly return next time I'm in town.

• Visited August 2012
Dillon, Colorado
“Delicious”
Reviewed 23 May 2012 via mobile

Used to live in the uk & now crave a decent curry. This place definitely hit the spot, best naan bread I've had outside the uk. Will definitely be back. Great food & great value.