“Don't stay here”

Hilton Chicago Indian Lakes
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bloomingdale
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 May 2005

I stayed a week for a conference and it has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. I was unfortunate to get a room facing the inner courtyard. The first thing I noticed was loud music playing somewhere below. The cave bar is in the inner courtyard and there is a player piano that plays loud (bad) music. I called the front desk and asked how long the music would be on for because I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep. They said they turn it off at 9 pm. No problem, it was quiet at 9 pm.

The next night not only was the loud music playing again but there was a large group of people in the bar area and I could hear their individual conversations in my 5th floor room! I called and asked how long the people would be there and they said that the bar closes at 11 pm. I asked to change my room and they said I couldn't because the hotel was sold out but I could change my room the next day. I had no choice but to stay up to 11 pm until the noise was gone.

The next day I changed rooms to one that faced the outside, they were suppose to move my packed suitcase for me but they never did, so I moved it. When I returned to the room that evening, the sun was beating into the room and it was 80 degrees. I went to turn on the A/C and guess what, nothing! I called down and they said they would send up an engineer who came pretty quickly. He said that he couldn't fix it and I would have to change rooms. The front desk called after that and said they could not change my room because they were sold out. I asked if the window could be opened and they said no but they would send up some fans. I got really mad on the phone so they sent the engineer back up to try to fix it but he said the fan motor was out. He did get the window opened so a nice breeze came in.

The next day I packed my bag again to be moved to another room and when I checked back at lunch, they first couldn't find a room for me, then they said they were upgrading me to a suite but it wouldn't be ready until 4 pm. My conference ended at 5 pm so I went back to get the key to the suite and they were all confused again about which room to put me in. They told me to go wait in my old room until the manager came back. When I got back to the old room, guess what, the A/C was working! I decided not to chance it with another room and called to tell them I wasn't moving.

They have some serious quality control problems here. I told my company so they won't have a conference here again. Other people in our group had room problems too. I don't know why the front desk had so many problems trying to find me a room, I don't know if I ever would have gotten the suite either, it probably would have been sold out! The front desk never seemed to be concerned that I had to change rooms so many times. They are definitely not professional at all.

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled on business
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,081)

Reviewed 2 December 2004

Very nice place to stay. The whole Indian theme in the middle of Chicago suburbs is a bit of a stretch, but don't let that deter you. The facilities are very clean and the service first rate. The indoor pool was very nice and a welcome sight to our daughter. I didn't get to play the golf course, but it looked very nice from our window... maybe next time. Yes, I would come again and yes, I would recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed: February 2004
4  Thank Jerseythursday
Reviewed 6 October 2004

This is a late review, but I believe it's merits sharing, despite the tardiness. My partner, who lives in the states, and I had arranged for a Valentine's Day weekend and decided on a central location of Chicago. Because of a really good deal we found and the interesting features of IndianLakes Resort, we chose to spend our weekend there, rather than deal with all the hassles of the city.

It was pretty much a disaster, from start to finish. First of all, my partner arrived before me and requested that the room charges be put onto his credit card, even though the reservation was in my name. This, apparently, caused mass confusion at every point along the way. We had to ask no less than 4 times (in 3 days) for his name to be added to the reservation because nothing was getting billed appropriately. After having a late night drink and snack in the cave bar one night, they called our room at 1:30 in the morning to say they couldn't bill the charges!!!

There were expensive charges for every single thing you did (even using a calling card with an 800 number meant a charge!, movies were expensive, restruants were overpriced, etc.). The Sunday brunch was expensive, but worth it - deliscious and beautiful! Overall, our "good deal" ended up equalling what we would have spent at a boutique hotel downtown.

The rooms are really nice, but we realized ours had a leak that must have been there for ages (stained curtains, soggy carpetting, the constant sound of dripping) and had to be moved to another room. Getting our luggage moved was a whole other ordeal. Our very first room (not the one with the leak) overlooked a parking lot, although the hotel couldn't have been more than 15% full, and we requested to be moved. The leaky room overlooking a snowy golfcourse had a nice view (as did the one we were moved to the 2nd time). This characteristic of inattentiveness by the staff (why wouldn't they put you in a nice room, when they were clearly available?) was a constant factor.

It could be a nice place to stay if the staff were better trained on customer service. You can certainly hibernate there for a long weekend without ever leaving, but be ready to pay for it!

10  Thank mexicanmadeline
Goshen, IN
Reviewed 30 September 2004

After some bad reviews I was apprehensive but my wife and I had a really nice time at the Indian Lakes Resort and Conference Center. It's not the Ritz but a good hotel in the suburbs. The rooms are hexagonal in shape and seem spacious by normal box style hotel standards. The hallways are twisty so when the hotel is full you seldom see other guests in the hallways. The rooms had all the normal hotel amenities such as remote tv, movies on demand, hairdryer, coffee maker, etc. The room was clean and the bed comfortable.

In the middle of the hotel is an atrium with lots of natural light streaming through and little waterfalls. In the atrium there are ample tables and chairs to relax in, study, or have a business meeting and a grand player piano playing light music.

The indoor hexagonal pool is nice. It is larger than lots of hotel pools, and has a 10ft deep end which I find is rare these days. The outdoor pool is smaller but has lots of chairs and lounges around it for nice days outside.

I can't make much of a comment on the golf courses since I didn't play while there. The course looked well kept up and fairly busy. There wasn't much of hills and woods there but those are not always indicative of a challenging fun course.

My wife especially liked the Spa Vargas. She had a package known as "The Journey at Spa Vargas." It included a massage, a facial and pedicure. It took over 5 hours and she felt very relaxed and pampered throughout.

The hotel includes two lounges and two restaurants. The Masters Clubhouse has decent food, sort of like a Friday's or Bennigan's. The Sedona Grille is pricey but a nice romantic place to go to with your partner and you don't have to drive anywhere afterwards. One night we went to Glendale Heights, just a few minutes south, to a German restaurant called Schnitzel Platz. It had really good authentic food, music and atmosphere.

Overall we enjoyed our time there very much and would go again.

• Stayed: September 2004
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 July 2004

Fify years ago Indian Lakes resort was probably really something. I'm still suffering from a severe sinus headache from the mold that is probably in every nook and cranny at this resort. Upon entering the hallways my 8 year old said, "What's that awlful smell?" It's just a old resort we told him. The windows are so fogged and dirty in between the glass you can't even see out your windows. The windows in the indoor pool have black mold growing inbetween them. Our room was poorly supplied with only 2 of everything including towels even though I reserved a room for 4. The only positive at this resort was the Sunday brunch which was excellent expensive but worth it.

5  Thank healin1
Reviewed 17 May 2004

My wife surprised me with a Saturday Night stay at the resort for our anniversary.

I didn't think a resort in the suburbs of Chicago would be anything great, but I was pleasantly surprised. With a golf course view on the fourth floor you forget you are in the burbs. Floor to ceiling windows are great but needed to be cleaned. The rooms were very nice and updated, hexagon shaped (a theme throughout the hotel) evidence of their multimilllion dollar renovations. I liked the Prarie style deco. The lobby is a bit of a labrynth but after a few times through, you've got it. Kids would love it, and the pools. The indoor pool was open but not the outdoor pool.

We were able to check in at 1:30pm (usually 4:00pm)

The Vargas Spa was 5 star. Robes and flips are provided in the locker rooms and then you wait in a serinity room and sip tea or water for about 5-10 minutes until your massage therapist comes for you.The massage prices we good. $75.00 for an hour. After your massage you return to the serinity room for as long as you like.

The golf course has 36 holes, the Blackhawk course just hosted a Hooters Tour event. Nice Pro-shop very nice staff. Prices are fair for a Chicago course.

The Masters Grill restaurant had a great club sandwich and Panini sandwich for $8.95.

The Sedona grill I would Give 3 stars. The food was good, not great and a bit pricey. $27.00 for prime rib. Portions were large but the view is in the front of the resort and you can see traffic.

There was a wedding at the resort but we saw the party in the lobby and then not again until checkout the next day. The resort is large enough to seperate big multiple events.

My wife and I had a nice relaxing time and would go back. We found the staff pleasant, helpful and friendly.

9  Thank NEWT2003
Brownsville, Kentucky
Reviewed 2 April 2004

This place is a pretentious architectural monstrosity. I got mal de mer zigzagging the corridors and the maze of a lobby. It's overpriced, and the staff -- from desk to restaurant -- is universally rude. And we were locked out of our rooms when we extended our stay by a day -- the desk said, "YOU should have told US you would need new keys" (emphasis added). They actually said that.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomingdale
3 mi away
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago Wood Dale - Elk Grove
Comfort Suites Lombard
Comfort Suites Lombard
#7 of 10 in Lombard

Been to Hilton Chicago Indian Lakes? Share your experiences!