“A work in progress, slow progress” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Red Roof Inn Bloomington
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Sandwich, Illinois
“A work in progress, slow progress”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

They are updating an old, very large motel, room by room. Their basics and maintenance are good BUT they skimp on everything else. Good: AC, WI-FI, TV. NO breakfast; cheap towels, cheap shower, one chair in a 2 bed room. Beds and bedding are so-so. They charge extra for every thing they can, so check your bill. If you get an updated room it is OK (if you don't care for motel breakfasts anyway). BTW, The parking area was very dusty for some reason; I actually had to operate the windshield wipers when I got in my car in the AM. My wife hated the motel (Inn) more than I. We did not sleep well for some reason. I predict this is a big swing type of place; you either find it AOK or you hate it. A clean place to spend a night, basics are good, but meager everything else.

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe, updated room. You will pay a few $ more but you won't be sorry. The Cracker...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Bloomington-Normal, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I went into the Red Roof in yesterday to get a room. I was meeting a friend out of town and he was running late so I stepped into the lobby and told the lady behind the counter that I was waiting for my friend to get there and then we were going to get a room. I stood in the empty lobby playing on my phone waiting for my friend. Just before he got there another lady came out from the back and demanded to know what I was doing. I told her the same thing I told the other lady, I was waiting for my friend then we were going to rent a room. She glared at me and said that the lobby was only for guest and that I needed to get out. I asked her why I couldn't stand there and wait for my friend and she demanded if I had a reservation. I did not but several people came in while I was standing there and got rooms without reservations so I didn't think it was a big deal. She then proceeded to just stand there glaring at me telling me to get out. So I grabbed my stuff called my friend and had him meet me at a different hotel. I was horrified at the way I was treated. I don't know if she was having a bad day or if it was because she was Indian (she was really struggling speaking English) and didn't know what a lobby of a hotel was meant for...especially an empty lobby were I wasn't bothering anyone. I don't care how cheap their rooms are. I would rather pay a little extra for friendly service rather renting a crappy room with crappy service. Needless to say I've told all my friends what happened and none of them are ever going back there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank luppylove1
Sanjay S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I apologize for any misunderstanding that might have occurred. Please be assure that this matter will be thoroughly discussed. All our guests and potential guest are of the upmost importance. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Sanjay
Lakeville, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed here one night not expecting anything great..we ended up in two rooms.one better than the other ..to explain.. we had one room and all the furnishings were totally beat up..desk, chest everything..the bathroom DID appear to have been recently remodeled with a granite vanity and need looking shower...the beds were saggy but we didn't get in til midnight so decided to make the best of it..a little after 1 I hear voices from the wall..the couple in next room are having a big fight and yelling..about 1:45 I call the office and they apologize and say they will be right down to move us into another room..at 2 AM we get into a QUIET room that is also in much better shape ..the furnishings are old but not beat up looking, beds are better and has same remodeled bath...I must say the people running it were very nice and helpful trying to make the best of things.

Room Tip: the back section is further from the traffic noise
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MinnScooter
Ripon, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

We look for inexpensive hotels with decent reviews as offered by Tripadvisor. This motel fit our requirements. Not fancy, but the room was clean, bed was comfortable, shower was good with better than average towels, and was quiet for sleeping, The staff was helpful, and the low price of our room was the best I could find for this area. Would I stay here again--yes. Would I recommend this motel to friends--yes.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Playthrough1
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

The bedding was soft, so were the double beds. The room was very clean. The staff was friendly. Bring your own soap and shampoo as they were substandard and there was no conditioner or lotion. Flat screen TV & very fast, free WiFi. Good value, even though there is no free breakfast, only coffee.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Rockford, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

I was a little hesitant to stay at the Red Roof Inn. however it was only for a night and we were just planning on a place to sleep. it was clean that staff was extremely friendly and helpful. it was a little hard to find, but that may have been my own fault. however we had extremely noisy people who was messing around outside with their car. that is no fault of the hotel. overall pleased with our stay and would stay there again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

Great service for the value. Room was clean and no evidence of bed bugs! Independently owned so no continental breakfast was offered, but McDonald's and Cracker Barrel are within walking distance. If you are just wanting a quick overnight stay to get some much needed rest, without all the bells and whistles of a five star hotel, then this is it! No complaints here!

Room Tip: If you choose a standard room, you're not gonna have a microwave, iron, or refrigerator. So bef...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business