“Could use some updating”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal West
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Des Moines
“Could use some updating”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed this past weekend and the hotel seems to be undergoing some construction in the lobby/pool area. That didn't bother us at all because all hotels need to do that at some point and myself, being a hotel general manager, completely understands this. What I didn't enjoy was the amount of issues with the room. The beds were comfortable but I could see through my sheets unfortunately. One of the knobs on the dresser fell off immediately while trying to open the drawer. One outlet in the bathroom and one above the table in the room itself would not hold a plug to charge our phones or plug in our hair straightener. The refrigerator was incredibly small. I wasn't even aware they made them that small. It could be a very nice hotel if they spent some time taking care of and updating their rooms along with the hotel.

The Friday night night auditor came off very rude and seemed to really not care for her job at all.

The breakfast however was very good and had a lot to choose from so that is always a plus!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the first floor because that's where they tend to keep their rooms the most upd...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BouldersInnPCManager
Cristo O, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal West, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear BouldersInnPCManager,

I would like to thank you for the review. As you noticed our hotel is currently undergoing new renovation projects. We are currently working on hallways and hope to start updating rooms in the summer. I am sorry for the condition that you found your room. I hope that this issues was reported in the morning at check out time. If so, the outlet issue is taken care of. There are a few rooms that were still in need of the new standard refrigerators and those have have already been ordered. They should be here in a week or so.

Please accept my apologies as well for the way that my night auditor. She is a new employee and I will be addressing this concern with her.

Once again, I do thank you for your review and for staying with us.

Cristo Ortiz-Palafox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The lobby is very nice, the breakfast area is also very nice. The rooms seem like they have been updated just a little bit. It would just be nice if the front desk clerk didn't act like it was an inconvenience that we disturbed them during what appeared nap time...The hallway carpet is a little filthy for my families taste, and the fact that they allow people to get so drunk in the swimming area made it very uncomfortable for my family to even use the pool. Best part about the trip was the breakfast guy named Alberto...beyond that I would recommend a nicer hotel next time for what this one charges...another piece of advice when looking for the nicer hotel don't stay next door at the Ramada because we started there and thought the County Inn and Suites would be a step up, but it wasn't.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Henry P
Dear Henry P,

I appreciate you taking the time and reviewing our hotel. I do apologize for any inconvenience that my staff caused you or your family. The fact the the pool is open to all guests it's sometimes hard for us to know if a guest is sober or not in the pool. Trust me when I say this. If this would have been brought to my attention I would have taken action right away.

I am pleased to hear that you loved our lobby and breakfast room. Alberto does a wonderful job in the morning as our breakfast host. I will make sure to acknowledge him at our next staff meeting and praise him for a job well done.

Our hotel is currently undergoing some new renovation projects and we hope to complete all hallways and guestrooms by the fall. New carpet hallway has been ordered and should be in in late June or July.

Once again, I do thank you for your review.

Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Countryinns have never disappointed me.....one good thing on their points system....they never expire!!!...We go east several time a year, and this location..Bloomington/Normal is about far enough for a days drive....The beds are comfortable, the staff is really nice, and besides, they have a fantastic breakfast........I would surely recommend this location any day of the year...Silver Elite member, Darwin Lay

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Travelor0610
Dear Darwin Lay,

Thank for so much for your fantastic review. Very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be really nice.

It was a pleasure to have have you here with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel next time you are in our area.

Wausaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 March 2014

When you are traveling and on the road and not sure where you will be for the night, it is so nice to find a place as welcome as this hotel was. The price was fantastic. I had a coupon for this hotel from a visitors center, when I called for availability the desk clerk assured me there were openings and the coupon would be good. I told him we did not know if we would make it that far or not, but we did, and when we checked in, he remembered me calling from 5 hours earlier. Very friendly and helpful. Bed and pillows comfortable, room a little dated, but not enough to diminish an excellent rating. Breakfast was, as another review said, above average. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Cristo O, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal West, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear 19nld73,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent experience here. Thank you for the lovely comments regarding my staff member. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in our area.

Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We pulled off the interstae late night and stopped here.The staff was friendly and very helpful.the rooms are big and spacious and very clean. The beds are very comfortable. They have a nice pool and hot tub and a great breakfast room. Enjoyed our stay here

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear petcherKenosha,

Thanks for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. It was our pleasure to have you as a guest and we look forward to doing again next time you are in our area.

Respectfully,
Cristo Ortiz-Palfox
Red Bud, Illinois
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

I had a great experience from the time arrived until the time I left. The staff was professional and very welcoming. The service was great. The room was very clean and comfortable. The hotel was very quiet. I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Cristo O, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal West, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Piph-Daddy,

I am delighted to hear that you had a great experience from the time arrived until the time you left. The service that we provided you is what we are proud to offer all guests that stay with us. I will make sure to praise my staff at our next meeting on a job well done.

Thank you for leaving such a wonderful review!

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel next time you are in the area.

Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 14 March 2014

My experience at the hotel felt amazingly welcomed and as if i was staying in my home. Alberto gives my kids high fives every morning when he welcomes us into breakfast. The manager on duty is absolutely outstanding gives great advise and always nice. The house keepers always remakes are beds every day gets us whatever we are out of. We had a fire in our home and we had to stay at the hotel for two weeks, our stay was so good we came back one week later just to stay for three more nights to let the kids swim and have a little vacation. Thanks so much for making us feel so welcome!!!!

Room Tip: amazing feels as if your in your own home.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Jesica K,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of your most recent stay. I am truly pleased to read that you and your kids felt amazingly welcomed at our hotel. I am truly blessed to have a wonderful team working for me that will always go out of their ways to make everyone feel welcomed to our property. I am also thrilled to read that Alberto was super friendly to kids.Thank you for your positive comments. I wish you the very best and congrats on your new home.