Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal Airport
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
normal, illinois
“Nice but....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

Arrived around 1:30 and was told that I could register but couldn't have a room as they didn't have the room cleaning information yet. They said it would just be a few minutes. I registered and came back around 2:30 and they again said the "room cleaning information wasn't brought down yet"...which didn't mean much to me.

I left again and came back at 3 which is their allowed check in time. Still no rooms. I asked what the problem was and was told that they had two rock and roll band staying there the previous night and they were not able to wake them up to get in and clean their rooms.
They also said they noticed that the bands brought in more alcohol than they did luggage.

I guess I would ask for some common sense. One might want to talk to the bands when they booked or checked in what the rules would be regarding drinking and checking in or out. Perhaps even limit your hotel to just one rock band. The other bit of common sense would be to clean a section of rooms in anticipation of those of us that were coming in prior to 3 pm or even at the regular check in time. There were 6 of us in the lobby waiting.

Rooms were comfortable; tv was old but worked fine; breakfast room was huge; place was generally quiet with the exception of a few jets that seemed to be taking off over the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fib55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my 10 year old daughter to visit friends and have a last minute mini vacation before school started. We stayed at a budget hotel on the West side of town for 3 nights due to no availability at this CI&S. I can understand why there were no available rooms for part of the time we needed...the hotel is great and I'm sure they have many repeat travelers. Everything at the hotel was clean and tidy. Very good breakfast with a large enough variety that it didnt overlap much for a 3 night stay. The hotel and room has a very fresh, clean smell and makes you feel at home. We did use the pool a couple of times which was clean and big enough for what we wanted it for...didnt see anyone else in the pool while we were there. We did notice a stong sulpher smell while in the whirlpool which was probably because they had just added chemicals or it just hadnt been used much...The very best part about this hotel is the comfy bed!!! My daughter didnt want to leave because she didnt want to leave the bed behind!! I have stayed at the H.I. near the airport which is more expensive with no breakfast and is similar in style and comfort. When I head back to this area I will check availability at this hotel first. Was a good value for the money and felt like home away from home.

1 Thank cinbad6
Cindy G, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal Airport, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor. I am so glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Pleae let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
Sincerely
Country Inn & Suites
Portage, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

We visited this property over the Friday & Saturday of Labor Day Weekend 2012. We were in-town to visit friends and attend athletic events at University High School and at the Illinois State University with our regular crew (2 adults, 3 kids ages 9,7 &7). The hotel is conveniently located just off of Veteran's Parkway near the airport. The entrance to the hotel is not well marked, but it wasn't hard to figure out the best route after the first attempt. If you're coming in from Veteran's Parkway you will see the hotel on your right. Turn right at the traffic light before the hotel. Parking is free and plentiful. The hotel is in a light industrial area and there are only a few restaurants in the immediate vicinity (Moe's Southwestern Grill). The hotel staff was friendly and talkative. There was a desk clerk on-duty along with a clearly competent young man who was part of the management staff. Due to a mistake I made with our reservation we had to do a little room shuffling before things were correct. It was done quickly and efficiently without a single word pointing out that I had screwed-up by not paying attention to what I booked.
The hotel is set-up like most Country Inn properties with a quaint sitting room in the lobby with a coffee service near the front desk with complimentary fresh fruit and cookies along with USA Today and the local newspaper available for free. The breakfast area is in a large, dedicated room off of the lobby with another comfortable seating area with chairs, couches and a large wall-mounted TV. The pool, fitness center and business center are accessible both from the lobby and the breakfast area. The breakfast was well-staffed with two happy and helpful attendants who were both successfully working hard to keep the food stocked and the tables cleared. The breakfast choices were above average in both choice and quality. All of the standard fare is available (coffee, juices, milk, fresh fruit, toast, bagels, mini muffins, yogurt, etc.) and heated chafing dishes held scrambled eggs, sausage, hash brown wedges, biscuits, gravy, chicken patties, oatmeal, etc., and a single station waffle maker.
The guestrooms were also standard issue Country Inn. The hotel is not new and shows standard age. However, the two rooms we had access to were both very clean and fresh smelling. No stains on the carpets or linens. The pull-out sofa was is good shape and linens and pillows were in the room where they should have been. The hotel advertises that the rooms are being remodeled, but our room was clearly waiting its turn. The televisions were functional with a good channel selection, but were the older, non-flat panel types. The bathroom was clean and well-maintained with plenty of hot water and good water pressure.

The negatives about this hotel are few, but need to be mentioned. The pool area is very clean and was stocked well with towels. There is a whirlpool and an open area shower which is a very nice touch. However, when you open the door from the hallway into to the pool area you are overwhelmed by the heat and the humidity. IT IS HOT! I'm not sure if it's because of the ventilation or because of the proximity to the whirlpool, but after sitting poolside for about 10 minutes watching the kids I was soaked and sweaty. The other issue in that area is that the lock on the public Men's room that is adjacent to the pool and fitness center does not lock. That made for a VERY uncomfortable situation between two strangers. Finally, we were visiting during the first weekend of the 2012 college football season in a big college football town. The giant television in the lounge/breakfast room was showing CNN. When we asked the young lady at the front desk about changing the channel to ESPN we were met with an odd response. Evidently, that particular request had never been made before because the desk clerk seemed to equate my request with curing cancer or finding world peace. "That channel doesn't ever get changed, there is no remote for that television and the channel will not be changed." It was clear to me that the policy is set in stone, not open to negotiation and don't you dare ask again. I highly encourage the management to revisit that policy, because had I been by myself and more interested in watching College Gameday that would have been my last few minutes in that hotel.
Overall, we were very happy with the hotel generally and the staff specifically. I recommend this hotel for business and leisure travel and we will definitely stay there again on our next trip to ISU in November.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Cindy G, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal Airport, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Thank you for your response. We strive ourselves on customer service and I am so happy to
hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
Country Inn & Suites
Bloomington Airport
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

Overall we had a good stay here. It was our last night before getting home on a 2 week road trip, so we were tired of being on the road and in hotels. Once we found the right CI&S (our Garmin sent us to the other location in Bloomington) I asked at check-in if we could possibly upgrade our room to a suite since the online reservations did not allow that as an option when booking with points. The friendly front desk person said they had a room, and when I asked the cost, he said it was free. This was great. We had paid $10 for a similar upgrade the night before at a different CI&S. Also, at breakfast, they ran out of bacon. We were about 30 minutes before the end of breakfast and a huge crowd had been there earlier. I mentioned to my husband that they were out and he shared with me. A few minutes later, the attendant came over with a plate of bacon for us, saying she overheard that I wanted some. A few minutes later, she brought plates to the other 2 couples in the breakfast area at that time. I guess she was cooking it and bringing it out as it finished. What great customer service.

The only negative from a design standpoint was the glass door on the bedroom. It made it harder for one room to be asleep while the other room was awake. The other problem was not the fault of the hotel or staff. There was a large and noisy group. We didn't hear anything in our room, but my daughter was kept awake well past midnight on the couch bed. She did hear a phone call come in that sounded like it was from the front desk. She also heard someone knock on the door and ask them to be quiet, so the staff tried.

Room Tip: Not next to the open stairs to the lobby
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. We strive ourselves on customer service and I am glad you were happy with your stay.
If there is anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to give me a call.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

The staff at the front desk was very helpful. Great hotel. Close to the mall and the tram. Nice rooms. Great pool area and spa. Entry was very clean and breakfast was good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone including families. Pierre at the front desk made every effort to accommodate our needs. He was great.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cindy G, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal Airport, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Thank You for your nice response, we appreciate your comments and I am glad you had a nice stay. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

I come down to B/N area several times a year for work, and this hotel is--by far--the nicest one I've stayed at. Rooms are spacious and clean. Breakfast had lots of items available including fresh eggs, good coffee, and biscuits and gravy (mmmmmmm). Internet clocked in around 1 mbps up and down -- fastest I've gotten at any hotel in the area, and fast enough for Netflix.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Cindy G, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal Airport, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Thank you for the wonderful response. We pride ourselves on customer service and a clean hotel. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. If there is anything I can do for you now or in the future, please let me know.

Lynn Center, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

I was a little worried about staying at an airport so close to a hotel, but was pleasantly surprised at how quiet this hotel was. We were greeted by one of the friendliest front desk clerks I have ever encountered. She saw we were traveling with small children and asked if we wanted to be close to the pool. She put us right across from the pool, so it was a great location for our daughters. Again, I wondered if it would be noisy at night, and it wasn't. Our room was clean, free breakfast was outstanding, and all of the staff we met were friendly. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cindy G, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal Airport, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
I want to thank you for such a nice response. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on giving the best service we can.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.