WOW! What a shocker in lil' old Bloomington Illinois. We had to go to Bloomington for a graduation. From the moment we walked into this hotel with its marble floored lobby and leather easy chairs, conveniently located minutes off of the highway, we knew we were in for a nice stay. The check-in was quick and effortless. Now we had 2 adults and 3 teenagers in our party. So I had to really check around to find an affordable place to stay. When we travel together (which doesn't happen often due to finances) we have stayed at some run-down, dingy, dark places. But when the desk clerk at the Hawthorn Suites gave us extra towels because there were 5 people staying in our room, the towels were thick, luxurious, Turkish towels - not the cheap crunchy kind we always get at $79.00 motels. They were so nice that, as a Mom, those stupid towels took my breath away. Oh well- let's move on, shall we? When we moved toward the elevator to go to our room, we passed the door to the swimming pool. It was an indoor kidney-shaped pool with a wall of windows looking outside. Being January in the Midwest, the kids were looking forward to swimming in the pool the entire drive to Bloomington so they wanted to take a closer look. The pool room was hot and humid, the water warm. But the best surprise was yet to come. Our room was spacious and large, with a full-sized sofa and two queen beds. At the other end of the room, there was a microwave, a small refrigerator, a FULL-SIZED coffee maker that made 12-cups of coffee, and a couple of cabinets. Being close to the highway, I would have expected noise from the road- there was none. Also, we were able to open the windows about 4". We liked this feature- although because of the cold weather, we closed them right up. There was the requisite writing desk, an extremely comfortable easy chair with ottoman and reading light. The beds were very comfortable with bottom sheet, top sheet, and another top sheet double-encasing the blanket (so that the nasty blanket doesn't chafe your precious skin when you sleep- HA!). Very elegant set-up. I think there were four pillows on each bed. We did have to call for bedding for the couch (and make the bed ourselves). In the morning, they offered you a little buffet breakfast with eggs, sausage, hash browns, three kinds of juice, cereal and milk (no sugared cereals tho), but, to beat the band--- they had a self-serve waffle iron with very simple directions to make your own hot waffles from scratch. We all had fresh, piping hot waffles in the morning for breakfast! What fun, to watch the kids making their own waffles! The only downside to the property that I could see was that the room was heated by an electric heater near the window. It was not silent... But then again, it was NOT the ancient model that you'd associate with a Holiday Inn from the 1970s either. The heater had an LED- display where you would set the temperature you wanted the room. Then the little heating unit would do the rest automatically, turning itself on-and-off as it regulated the temperature in the room. All in all, we were absolutely DELIGHTED with this hotel! What a fabulous value! A business person could live in this room very very comfortably for an extended period of time... You have a small kitchen area and a large room to do with what you will. A large family can NOT find a value like this anywhere. We were just THRILLED. What a shock and a surprise. The hotel employees were polite and courteous, and the hotel really exceeded our expectations. We will look for Hawthorn Suites from now on whenever we travel. And we might just be able to travel a little more with our brood, since we can travel a little more confidently for $79.00, knowing that we can expect to stay at a such a nice hotel chain for a reasonable price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Bloomington lies at the intersection of Interstate 55 and 74 near Illinois State University and Illinois Wesleyan University as well as several major corporations. We are an all-suite hotel, and each suite comes equipped with a sofa bed, kitchenette, refrigerator and microwave, perfect for a weekend getaway or longer stay. Enjoy our newly renovated lobby and stop in to On the Rocks, our lobby bistro, for a meal or beverage, or have room service deliver your meal within minutes. Free amenities include hot breakfast buffet, USA Today and local newspaper, and high-speed Internet access. We offer a 24-hour fitness center, heated indoor pool, meeting space, business center, guest laundry, dry cleaning service and express checkout. Non-smoking and handicapped-accessible rooms are available at our Bloomington, IL, hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Bloomington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Bloomington Hotel Bloomington
- Hawthorn Suites Bloomington
- Bloomington Hawthorn Suites