“In Need of Rehab... OLD”

The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed 12 February 2013

They recently updated the lobby in this hotel and added new carpet, etc. Something smelled musty entering the lobby. This place needs a total rehab but convention planners said they have no plans to do so in the near future. We had a meeting in the conference area and there was a banquet down the hall and all we could hear was the bass and music from the banquet hall. Very unprofessional for a meeting... very disappointing. Skip the restaurant. We've tried it a couple of times and food arrived cold and not worth the $$. They've added flat screen TVs and fridge/micro combos to rooms which is nice but they could be cleaner. They are just old. I did have free WiFi on the 4th floor which was nice but I've staying in other parts of the hotel and the WiFi was sketchy. The photos show the worn out tile in the bathroom, the finish is worn off, so you know it is old. They replaced the toilet seat with a seat that doesn't fit, gross sitting on cold porcelain. The remote for the TV wasn't working. Good room cost but rooms are old and worn.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the ice machines and elevators. When you are in the hall you can hear entire co...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Homespn
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Thank you for your informative review of our hotel. We appreciate your comments, and we are addressing all of your concerns. We are continuing to renovate the hotel, and we are striving to give our guests a pleasant experience. I hope that you will give The Chateau another chance to show you how much we care about our guests. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

had two double-bed rooms. rooms where fine. hotel seemed fine. breakfast wasn't the greatest, i decided not to eat breakfast the second day, my fellow co-worker who is more picky then me did, he found nothing wrong with breakfest... so who knows. i didn't personally care for it. I don't know if the two other coworkers ate breakfest... we ate dinner offsite

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are looking into ways to make our breakfast more inviting. We like to get guest feedback, so that we can provide the best experience for all of our guests. I hope that you will stay with us again when you come to Bloomington.

Reviewed 30 November 2012

The Chateau is housed in the building formerly occupied by one of the hotels operated by the lamented now-defunct Jumer's chain. The present operators have maintained much of the old world German furnishing and decor that were the hallmark of the former Jumer's chain. The rooms are clean, well maintained and friendly if perhaps a bit sterile. The front desk staff too were in my experience very friendly, efficient and competent. The room, which I got at the rack rate of well under one hundred dollars, was ready at the time of my no notice/no reservation checkin. There is a restaurant which is very good and also reasonable and the location of the hotel is along the main commercial artery of Blooomington-Normal and not far from the Illinois State University campus. All things considered, this property is a very good choice for anyone whose affairs take them to the Bloomington area.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Recently visited for a 2 day conference. The food was average, about what you might expect for a conference center. My sleeping room was really pretty nice. It was spacious, the bed was comfy, there was a nice desk and the wireless internet worked well. The meeting rooms were also nice including a room with theater seating for AV. Now for the negative stuff. I went to the pool to sit in the hot tub. The water level was at least 10 inches lower than it should have been. In fact it was so low, when I sat down the water wouldn't even cover my legs! The next morning when I got ready to shower I discovered there was no soap in the bathroom; no hand soap, no bath soap. Only the small bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. I thought this was probably just an oversight by the housekeeper until I mentioned it upon checkout. The woman at the front desk apologized and then told me that their supplier was stuck in NJ so they didn't have much soap and were only giving it out if a guest requested it!! REALLY? There is only one place in the nation to get soap? C'mon guys this is ridiculous. Go out and buy some soap locally if you have to. I was pretty shocked. Given this kind of an attitude and cutting corners probably would stay at a different hotel in the future if I had a choice.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 November 2012

My daughter became extremely ill while traveling with her 4 children to texas. She wound up in the ICU unit at Bromenn Hospital. My husband and I made an emergency trip to care for our 4 grandchildren. We wound up at the Chateau with them. We were there for a week not knowing from one day to the next what life would bring. What the hotel brought for us was a wonderful stay. Yes the place needs some work, but it is being done.
The staff is 100% there to serve in very courtious humanly ways. Any problems were immediately dealt with. They bent over backwards for us. The hotel manager is absolutely wonderful the staff is wonderful. I would absolutely recommend the Chateau to everyone. My grandchildren refer to it is their castle, hopefully the horrible events that took us there will give them a fantastic memory forever of the week they lived in the castle.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2012 via mobile

We have stayed here several times and it is a decent botel. It definitely could stand to be updated. Rooms are decent size. had a problem with a stopped toilet and we were moved to a new room very quickly. Location is good. The hotel is not far from the interstate and there are plenty of restaurants close by. Restaurant is decent and there cinnamon rolls are excellent.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We stayed at the Chateau Hotel and Conference Center in Oct 2012 for a wedding. The lobby decor was very nice, and that is where the cocktail hour was held before the reception. The room used for the wedding and reception were quiet and out of the way of the rest of the patrons. The food at the reception was fair. The food at the breakfast buffet was good. We had a queen/queen room. It was spacious enough to accomodate our family of 4. The beds were a bit soft for my husband's taste but I found them comfortable. Our children used the pool during our stay. It was clean, but cold. Overall, it was a pleasant stay and nice to be able to attend an event without having to travel outside of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family