“Improving, but still a ways to go.”

The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Dekalb Cty
“Improving, but still a ways to go.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stay her often because it is a business decision made by others, and they are making surface improvements in the property such as new carpet. The rooms are still in need of updates and I'm not sure who made the decision to go with small square pillows on the beds, but it was a poor choice. I thought it was only me but several others in our business group commented on how uncomfortable they were too. The rates have been reduced which is a good thing, but working on the friendliness of the staff would really help. It's always nice to be greeted with a warm welcome and smile when checking into a hotel after traveling, instead the staff appears to be doing a job they do not particularly like. Hopefully things will continue to improve and maybe someday they'll actually find toilet seats to fit their toilets so you don't have to sit on the porcelain. All in all, this would not be one of my first three choices in the Bloomington area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
I apologize for your bad experience at our hotel. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. It helps to keep us aware of things that we may need to improve. Thanks, again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Fort Wayne, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

The Chateau is a unique place...
It is decorated with Old European in mind, kind of looks Chateauish. Hard to describe...
We were on the top floor, corner room that was very large. I was with group of relatives so we didn't use many of the amenities because we were just happy to sit and visit. Would I go back there? Yes.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank cpnestel
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
I am so glad that you enjoyed staying at our hotel. Thank you so much for your great review. Please come back and stay with us the next time you are in Bloomington.
Cape Coral, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

It started out with the shuttle from the airport. The shuttle bus reeked of stale cigarette smoke. Things got worse from there. The hotel itself has the potential to be charming and it probably once was. Now it looks tired and the employees seem untrained and uninterested. The phone in my room did not work. I asked someone at the front desk if he could get it fixed. He dialed the room and said it was working. I told him it did not ring and it was dead. He said, "Okay." It was never repaired. When using the business center, the light did not work. I told someone different at the front desk and he said, "Oh, okay." That was it. The room itself was adequate. It was a handicapped room and the bathroom handicapped fixture was loose and dangerous. I hated the lights in the room that were on a timer to go off after 5-10 minutes. The TV remote in the fitness center was nowhere to be found. By the time I got to use the fitness center, I already knew it was useless to complain. The convention center, however, was very good. People there were extremely helpful, the catering was very good and the facilities were more than adequate. They made great cinnamon rolls! Such a pity the hotel seems on a downward spiral. There is so much potential here. I will definitely not stay here again. A local told me they were hoping the hotel would announce a make over sometime. They need it.

2 Thank Frank L
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
I am very sorry that you had problems when you stayed with us. I can assure you that the lack of service that you received is not acceptable. We pride ourselves in giving the best service to all of our guests. Thank you for informing us of these instances and for the smell in the van. We don't allow smoking in the van, and we are having it cleaned. Again, I apologize for all of the problems that you had. I hope that you will come back and give us another chance.
Frisco, Texas, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

I stayed here because all the regular chains in town were booked due to it being Freshman Week at the local college. Based on the reviews I wasn't sure if it would be a great place to stay or horrible. It turns out that it was a decent, clean, okay place to stay.

On the plus side, the rooms were nice. Having an overhead light in the main room was a plus (not always a given at any hotel), as was the iPhone-charging clock radio. On the downside, the walls were a bit thin. I heard conversations from the hall and next room until after 10pm.

The AC was a bit loud and sometimes woke me up in the middle of the night. The room would vary between stuffy and cold, unfortunately, but that's not atypical of any room with the wall unit ACs.

I won't say this is a must-stop in the area, nor will I say it's a must-avoid. It's a decent place, but nothing out of this world.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I would like to apologize for the problems that you experienced. We are currently checking our air conditioners to make sure that they are running right. Thank you for mentioning the things that you liked about the hotel. We would like for you to come back and stay with us again.
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

The Chateau Hotel was our first stop on a very long driving trip from St. Paul, MN to Norfolk, VA, Baltimore, MD and back to St. Paul. Our stay was on night on Sunday, July 14, 2013. Our room, though small, was very clean and comfortable. Because it was a Sunday there were not a lot of guests and we had time to walk around and look at all of the fantastic statuary, hand carved cabinetry, and displays throughout the hotel. The desk staff were very polite and accommodating. Our breakfast on Monday morning was amazingly good and our server Brad was delightful. Having been on staff for some time Brad was quite knowledgeable about the hotel (both before and after the renovations) and because it was not very busy took the time to give us a mini tour. Our only regret is that we did not come back the same way so we could stay again. We will definitely be back - this time for a longer stay!!! Thank you, Arlene & John Reed, St. Paul, MN

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
We are so glad that you had such an enjoyable stay at The Chateau, and that Brad took the time to show you around. He is a great person and an asset to our hotel. We told him how much you enjoyed visiting with him. He was very happy. I hope that you will keep us in mind when you come through Bloomington again. Thank you for your wonderful review.
Columbia, SC, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

We arrived at The Chateau after a very long day's driving and a one hour search for a room and were made to feel welcome. They even found a secure place to store our bicycles overnight. The room was clean and comfortable, though the smoke detector did beep softly all night. Because it was so late we ate at the bar downstairs. The service there was great - and the $6 burger, fries and beer special went down really well. All in all a surprisingly good place to stay and good value too.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Mary E, Director of Sales at The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
We are glad that you found our hotel so enjoyable. Thank you for the great review. We like pleasing our guests. Please come back and stay with us again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

I loved the week I spent here. It was clean the staff was very helpful even though they were busy preparing for the event being held the hotels birthday or something. They picked us up and let us check In like 4 hours early our room was clean huge and the bed was comfy. The breakfast was great and they had different hot items everyday. I loved the antique look. The pool is clean.

• Stayed June 2013
Thanks so much for your kind review. We are so glad that you had such an enjoyable stay at our hotel. We hope that you will come see us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center
Doubletree By Hilton Bloomington
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Bloomington
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal Airport
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#8 of 22 in Bloomington
Hyatt Place Bloomington - Normal

Been to The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!