“Very pet friendly”

Holiday Inn Express Bloomington West
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This was the first time we have traveled with our two dogs and this hotel was listed as "pet friendly." It certainly was! We were warmly greeted upon check-in - even our two mutts. The room was excellent and on the first floor near a side entrance, making pet access easy. The additional pet fee was modest and lower than in many other places. The setting for the hotel is relatively quiet (meaning not close to the interstate) with nearby sidewalks to exercise our dogs. While this hotel had the the now seemingly universal duvets, the room had regular blankets too, for those of us who don't sleep in arctic conditions. The breakfast was pretty standard but well stocked. We have stayed at several other places in this part of Bloomington and Holiday Inn Express ranked with with the best, even if you don't have pets. Overall it was a great experience and we will certainly be stopping in again. Note that we booked directly with the front desk since we could not figure out from the HI web site how to book a pet friendly room online. The front desk was very helpful in this regard.

Room Tip: If you have a pet, the side doors help avoid going through the lobby. Dogs might like the big open...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bob L
Julie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bloomington West, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Bob L.,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate the kind words! We love all of our guests, including the pets! We look forward to seeing you again when you are back in the area.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Overall my stay was okay. Check-in was nice and easy. Te girl who checked us in (i think her name was Stephanie?)was amazing and extremely helpful especially when we asked for directions. She even upgraded us from a two bed room to a king bed which was nice since it was just me and my husband. When we got to the room it was okay. Mattress was very comfortable however the bedding looked a bit worn down. When we asked for extra towels and pillows the front desk girl was prompt and very accommodating to us and even brought them to our room even when we said we could come down and get it since she was extremely pregnant and looked like she was going to pop! Pool was okay, LOVED being able to use the hot tub!(most hotels we stay at just have the pool). Our only issue was when we came down the next morning to the front desk the lady who I'm assuming was the manager was kind of rude. I brought down the receipt that was put under our door because I thought we needed to sign and give it back but turns out it was our copy which is fine but I didn't need the attitude that I was given when told so. Also I think they should have a course on tact because I overheard the manager and another worker talking about how they couldn't stand other workers and that they couldn't wait to fire them. If you're going to have that conversation the lobby probably isn't the best place for it especially when it's full of people eating breakfast. Overall it was okay, I think we will return if we are in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Livelaughlove8319
Julie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bloomington West, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Livelaughlove8319,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is very valuable to us. I am sorry to hear that you had to overhear our staff discussing things that obviously should not be discussed in public earshot. I will definitely be reviewing our standards with my management team. I do hope that you will stay with us again in the future. If there is anything else I can do for you please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I just have to say that I travel alot and this was by far the best Customer Service I have received. Cassie at the front desk made my stay alot more comfortable and hassle free than usual. She not only showed me the best places to eat in town but also made my stay very pleasant. She was very friendly and great to have a conversation with.
I had work during the day and would not be back in time for check out, and she remembered me telling her that!!! She had a key made and ready for me when I walked in the door to get back into my room. Its AMAZING that she remembered that when she has hundereds of guests coming and going. GREAT JOB CASSIE!! I definintely will be returning to this Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side of the building are quieter in the morning because of the business on the No...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Julie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bloomington West, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Hi Andrew W.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what a terrific stay you had and for acknowledging the great customer service provided by Cassie! She is a valued member of our team and we appreciate you recognizing that! We look forward to seeing you when you are in town again!

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Front desk staff was friendly and welcoming, room was clean and nicely appointed. Breakfast was one of the least appealing hotel breakfasts we've encountered, and breakfast attendant was not particularly accommodating or friendly. Raisin Bran dispenser was empty, "Sorry, we're out." French toast was the same consistency as the styrofoam plate, impossible to cut with plastic utensils. There was something that was supposed to be scrambled eggs, not edible. Price ($116/night with tax) was not a bargain, but not unreasonable, either. I would probably look for another option when passing through this area again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NancyinMinnesnowta
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bloomington West, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear NancyinMinnesnowta,

Thank you for providing us your valuable feedback. It is pleasing to know that you found our reception team to be friendly and accommodating. However, it is regrettable that your breakfast experience was otherwise. Please be assured that your feedback has been documented and will be addressed accordingly with the appropriate departments to consider for improvements.

While we understand your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope you can give us another chance to make it as best as it can be.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 31 October 2013

The inn is clean and the room was clean as well. Staff very helpful while checking in and out. Breakfast was adequate to satisfy most everyone Not a lot of eating choice in the immediate area except Mexican, Bob Evans and fast foods. there are several choices for hotels off this exit, but would consider staying hear again

Room Tip: Quiet location so any room would be OK
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Julie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bloomington West, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear geezer_11,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I am glad to hear that the rooms were clean and the staff was very helpful! We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed 29 September 2013

My dissatisfaction with this hotel started before we even got there. We had a block of rooms reserved for us thru our school because our girls were playing in state playoffs. Each family was to call to book their rooms. I called while at work to reserve my room and in the middle of my reservation the woman I was talking to asked me if I could hold. She put me on hold for about five minutes. Five minutes doesn't seem long, but when your on the phone waiting while your supposed to be working it is a very long time. I have a problem when you are wanting to give someone your business and they don't treat you like your number one. When she came back to the phone she did apologize but she didn't sound like she meant it. I asked her if there was some problem and she said "No, I just needed to help someone at the front desk." Why couldn't she help me first and let them wait? She then finished taking my reservation and said she would send me an e-mail. I waited all day and never got an e-mail. I called back and said the e-mail never went through and she did get a little snotty with me and said she sent one. I told her to send it again. I still never got an e-mail and was a bit worried because I had no proof that I had a reservation because she gave me no confirmation number. I called back that night, talked to a different woman and she also was snotty. She said the e-mail was sent twice and I asked for a confirmation number that I wrote down. She sent yet another e-mail which I never got. Reservation experience needless to say didn't go well.

When we arrived at the motel check-in went well and was quick and easy. Rooms were just average, nothing special. Our school got a discount on the rooms for $80 a night plus tax because we were booking approx. 15 rooms. I thought that was still pretty high and I thought the discount should have been more. Especially since the pool and hot tub were out of order which I was not happy about. Their website charges $120.00 per room and I would NEVER have paid that much for a room, totally not worth it.

Their breakfast wasn't bad but there pancake machine was broken and when we asked the girl running the breakfast she shrugged her shoulders and said "I don't know what's wrong with it". She should have found somebody that did know what was wrong with it and got the thing fixed. The second morning it was still broken and the workers didn't seem the least concerned about it. When you advertise something you need to make sure you can deliver.

Our team booked for two nights and since we lost our first game some of us checked out early. We decided to stay and hang out and relax and do some things in Bloomington/Normal. That night while we were laying in bed watching T.V. some stranger walked into our room and then walked out. It happened so fast we weren't sure what happened. Pretty soon the front desk called us and asked us who we were and what we were doing there. They had us checked out and had booked our room to someone else. They wanted us to come down and give them our credit card info again and I said "No." We were in are P.J.'s and it was 10:00pm we were ready for bed. We ended up getting a bill slipped under our door the next morn and they had charged us the regular rate without the team discount. We got that straightened out. What I can't figure out is if we were checked out why our key still worked that whole evening. To get into the hotel and into our room. Pretty scary if you think about it. If they don't disable the keys right away people can still get into the room after their checked out!!!

All in all I wasn't happy about the hotel. I think it needs a management change and things need to work a little bit better. You are offering a service that people are paying for you need to make sure that service is the best it can be!!!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Erin P
Julie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bloomington West, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Erin,

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. I wish you had spoken with myself or my assistant as we were the ones working the desk on Friday and Saturday and we could have assisted you with any concerns that you had prior to your stay and during your stay.

You were a very large group that I would like to point out had made your reservations to stay overnight for 2 nights and then upon arrival the group wasn't sure if it will be for 2 nights because you were not sure if you will win your game or not and wanted a late check out. Our check out time is 11 am and we accommodated the entire group not knowing until noon whether you won or not and if the group would be checking out. I apologize for the confusion about your room being checked out. It was one of the ones told to us that would be checking out.

As for the pool and spa it is down to be painted, it is listed on the website and was also communicated to the coach ahead of time and he said that was okay and still booked the rooms. Our pool and spa will have a new fresh coat of paint and will be ready to go on the 8th of October.

It is clear we did not meet your expectations and for that I am sorry. We value your opinions and will look at the areas you mentioned to see where we can make improvements.

Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

Hotel is somewhat new and real convenient to I-55. This part of town isn't the best, so venturing out for a walk might have to wait. There is a Bob Evans and Steak & Shake out front, a Walmart one block away, and Culvers, Arby's, Taco Bell, Cracker Barrel, and McDonalds across the interstate just two minutes away. Front desk personnel were very helpful and courteous. Military discount is also very nice.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Prohack36
Julie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bloomington West, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Prohack36,

Thank you for your review! I will pass along your great comments to my staff! We hope to see you in the future!