“For a wedding reception”

Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The wedding reception was held in the conference center, accomodating about 200 guests. The meal was served promptly and at the correct temperature. We stayed at the hotel following the reception, and because the single room we had reserved was not available at check-in we were upgraded to a suite for the same price. Check-in was at 3pm, and we arrived at 12 pm, but there was not a problem for early check-in and the upgrade! The room was in excellent condition, and the front desk also called to make certain everything was in order when we arrived in our room. I would reccommend this hotel and conference center for any events in the Bloomington, Illinois area.

Room Tip: All units in each of the separate buildings were quiet and well kept.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 January 2013

This was the second time that I have stayed at the property for an extended period, and I will keep this brief.

Called to make reservations and I also requested an upstairs unit. The units are similar to small studio apartments and have a full kitchen, which makes an extended stay more comfortable. But back to my request, I had a late check-in (6pm) which was also mentioned during the reservation request over the phone, and really wanted an upstairs unit. Upon arrival I was the last to check in that day and I was given a downstairs unit. Sure enough the person above was quite loud and it was disturbing. The part that bothered me the most was that a person that I referred, who reserved after I did and who checked in earlier in the day, was given an upstairs unit. Things like this make me want to find other accommodations in the future. There was also a small dog in a unit near me that barked a lot.

The space was generally clean and sufficient for my stay, aside from the placement in a lower unit most of the stay was acceptable. The continental breakfast is in need of improvement.

The stay was in December 2011 and was for seventeen days.

Room Tip: Request an upstairs unit and one away from dogs.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
ESuites, General Manager at Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Dear Guest,

It is our goal to ensure that all guest's requests are met to our fullest capabilities. Please accept our apologies, as that was not the case during your stay. I do understand how important it is, especially during a long term stay, to have your special requests taken care of in advance.

I have talked with my staff to ensure that they continue doing everything they can to take care of our guest's requests in advance. I assure you we are doing everything we can to prevent this from happening in the future. We do hope to have you as a guest of ours again.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

My husband and I have just checked out after a 3 night stay at the Eastland Suites. We chose the hotel because we wanted an “extended stay” type of accommodation with room to spread out. We often stay at extended stay hotels and feel competent to make comparisons. We had a pleasant stay.
We stayed in the king loft suite which has two king beds and two bathrooms. We would have chosen the one bedroom king suite if it had an easy chair. It only has a sofa. Our loft room was well laid out and comfortable in a “hotel” sort of way. The décor is attractive in soothing colors. Beds are comfortable with good bedding; sofa and chair are fine; desk, dining table and chests of drawers are basic low-end hotel furniture but serviceable. Each bathroom has a separate vanity area; the water pressure is good and the hot water plentiful. There is a nice tub/shower unit with a variable spray shower head. Towels are provided in generous quantity.
The front desk staff, all of whom appear to be quite young, is polite and helpful. Breakfast was marginally okay. We preferred to rely on cereal and fruit we brought with us. The room had a full kitchen.
We found the rooms quiet, but the hotel wasn’t very full. The hotel is on the flight path from the airport, but that didn’t bother us. Our room was on the upper level, and there are no elevators. Lugging suitcases and other luggage up the outside staircase is hard.
The rooms were very clean, and though the walls appear to be recently painted, there are areas where the surface finish has flaked off. This leaves an impression of neglect and should be touched up. All the lighting is fluorescent and not very bright. On the main level, there is only one sliding patio door for natural light and fresh air; there are no other windows. The kitchen lighting is not adequate. A couple of under-cabinet task lights would fix this.
There are attractive new “granite” counters in kitchen and baths, but the cabinets are old, and the finish is worn through in places. The cabinets should have been painted when the new counters were installed. Once again, the impression is one of benign neglect. There is a half-moon window above the bed in the loft. There is no curtain, and the morning sun comes right in to wake you up!
My overall assessment is that this is a good extended stay hotel but the details need attention. The hotel advertises a fully equipped kitchen. Our room was designed to accommodate 4 people. However, there were not enough knives, forks, and spoons for 4 people. The cutlery was mismatched and of the very cheapest kind. Glassware provided included 4 juice glasses, 2 tumblers, 1 wine glass. Though there were 4 each of dinner plates, bowls and butter plates, they were mismatched. There was a large and a small frying pan, a large spaghetti pot but no saucepan! The saucepan lid was there but not the pan. There was no baking pan or other ovenproof pan, no teakettle, no dish cloth, no napkins, and no paper towels. There was one dish towel, one hot pad, a miniscule container of dish liquid, and one packet of dishwasher detergent. The coffee maker was a very small “4 cup” unit, the kind usually found in a regular hotel room.
In the bathrooms, there was one bar of hand soap in each vanity area, and none in the separate bathtub area; there were no glasses. In the bedrooms, the hangers were of the cheapest plastic kind, and there were no trouser/skirt hangers. Next to the phone, there was a pen provided but no note pad.
To correct these kitchen and housekeeping problems would take a minimal expenditure on equipment. A check list for housekeeping to insure that every unit is properly stocked would solve the problems of missing equipment and supplies. It is often these details that make the difference between a hotel that is highly recommended and one that is given an “average” rating. I suggest that the manager “check in” to a room for a few days to understand what is needed to bring this hotel up to an “excellent” rating.
If these issues are resolved, I would rate Eastland Suites along with the best of the national chain extended stay hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from busy Veterans Parkway. Suites are located in stand alone buildings with ou...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MichiganJoyful
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Stayed here on business, nice employees, the room was a bit old and outdated, but it worked fine....like I said, average at best. Nice beer/wine/snacks for free during happy hour, and free breakfast was the basic thawed muffins, coffee, etc....probably wouldn't stay here again, it wasn't bad, just other options for a little more coin...

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel for only one day for business - not in one of the extended stay rooms but in one of the regular hotel rooms that were in a 3-story building in the back of the property. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet, but some distance from the main office. Fortunately the weather was still somewhat warm because to get to the pool or to breakfast, I had to walk across the parking lot and through the walkways between the buildings with the extended stay rooms. It wasn't a far walk, but in the winter might make me less likely to go swimming. The employees were very nice and helpful.

Really the only down side of the whole stay was that I could not get hooked up to the Internet. A few times it made the connection for only a minute then knocked me off. So I was not able to use Internet during my stay.

Room Tip: From what I can tell all the regular hotel rooms are in the building farthest from the main office...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank pbroviak
Reviewed 8 October 2012

This hotel is composed of several different 2 story and one 3 story buildings. I believe that the suites are located in the smaller 2 story buildings. Our family stayed in a double room (NOT a suite) in Building 9, the three story building and felt that it was comparable to a Quality or Comfort Inn. The room seemed a little dated, but did have up to date furniture and carpet - it was rather compact, but did include a microwave, refridgerator, and old-fashioned television (not flat screen). As an added bonus there was an additional sink and mirror in the room, which helped speed up our morning routine. The breakfast was in the main building, included waffle maker, fruit, juice, bacon, hash browns, and cheese/egg omlettes. What we loved about this hotel was that our second floor room was VERY quiet and the beds were so soft, we slept like babies :) If you don't have a car, the facilities are within walking distance of many many stores and a number of eating facilities, including Olive Garden and KFC.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Very nice and comfortable atmosphere. Rooms were very nice. Enjoyed the quiteness as well as the exercise room. Loved the scenery that you have very well kept up. Loved the staff. While preparing my breakfast your staff was very helpful, kept the kitchen area cleaned and stocked up.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family