“Off the beaten path - and not in a good way”

Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Brooklyn NY
“Off the beaten path - and not in a good way”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I attended a training workshop and this was the hotel we were compelled to stay in (the workshop organizers worked out some kind of deal and thus we paid for the conference and hotel together). If I need to return to this area again I will insist on staying elsewhere. On the plus side, the free breakfast was better than expected and the hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were just ok, not very attractive and didn't seem really clean. The hardest part was the isolation of staying here - it's nowhere near downtown, it doesn't have an onsite bar or restaurant, no room service, and not even a small gift shop to buy a toothbrush or other necessities. I thought I was going to lose my mind. I also couldn't figure out why our workshop group was assigned to stay here - it was nowhere near the training site, and we must have passed five hotels on our way to and from the training each day. I would much rather have stayed in the cute downtown area, where I would have been able to walk around in the evening and stop out for dinner or a drink.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
ESuites, General Manager at Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 November 2010
Dear DrBunBun,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate travelers taking the time to provide us with feedback about their experience. Unfortunately we are not a full service hotel that features a restaurant, lounge, room service and gift shop; however, we do have many other benefits to offer our guests. We have a very good relationship with the company that hosts your training and they choose us because of our exceptional customer service, competitive rates, friendly staff and other amentities like our limo/shuttle service, complimentary WiFi, indoor pool, exercise room and our beautiful courtyard with picinic areas and gas grills. We are also only 1 block from the largest mall in Bloomington and several restaurants. Many of our guests take advantage of the piano bar at Jim's Steakhouse (only 2 blocks away) and Shooters Lounge/Ride the Nine located across the street.

I am concerned about your comment regarding the cleanliness of your room and will address that with our Executive Housekeeper. We recently completed 2 large renovation projects (one in late 2007 and one this past July) and have received numerous compliments on the decor and updated freshness. These renovations included new furniture, flooring, wall coverings, granite countertops and modern artwork and lighting; and in our suites (80% of our hotel) we've got all new flat screen TV's, new kitchen cabinets, granite counters, all new appliances and beautiful hardwood floors. Perhaps you did not receive a suite for your stay as I'm confident if you had you would have been very satisfied.

Thank you again for your comments, we value your feedback and hope you will try us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 7 June 2010

I stayed at this hotel at the beginning of the year. I was thrilled with the staff and accommodations that the hotel had to offer. The front desk staff were very helpful and welcoming. My friend and I went to dinner that night. One of the services that this hotel has to offer is a limo ride. That was one of the best parts of the night!! The room was extremely comfortable and had great amenities. There was a loud news coming at about 11pm. My friend called the front desk and the attendant personally took care of the news. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a hotel in the Bloomington/Normal area, plus it is right off of Veterans Parkway so it was very convenient. You are doing a great job Eastland Suites and I look forward to coming back and staying in one of your newly renovated Suites!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I am on the road every week of the year. I crave quiet and I crave space. I love the suite I was in at the Eastland Suites. I felt like I had my own apartment. The bed was so comfortable, I had a hard time getting out of it each morning. I had a spacious living room area, a fully equipped kitchen, and choices of where I watched tv, either in the bedroom or living room. I never felt cramped as I sometimes do elsewhere. I even had a small patio. The management went above and beyond to be sure I was treated like a queen. The daily maid service was impeccable. The suite was very clean, always. I liked what was served for breakfast. I had a choice of something hot or cold. What was more than obvious is that the management really cares about their guests. My next business trip won't be so bad, because I plan on staying at my home away from home, the Eastland Suites where I can find peace and quiet!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed 21 April 2010

This hotel had GREAT rates, which is what attracted us to it and a indoor pool where our grandchildren could swim. Our stay kept being a "good new, bad news" situation. When we got there we had no trouble checking in with very friendly desk personal. We knew the suites had been renovated, but as we approached the outside door of the suite we cringed: really ugly and battered door. Then we opened the door and a great new suite met our eyes, completely renovated, including a fireplace = lovely. There were still a few details like the rusted shower rod that needed replacement, but overall, we really liked it. Pool was clean and fun for the kids and luckily we were there when it was not too busy. As we were leaving a birthday party with about 12 little girls came in, so we were glad to be exiting. The hotel was having a little social hour with free drinks supplied in the brkfst dining room, which we did not partake because of the kids, but thought it was a great idea. Worst news: very noisy neighbors above us with little insulation against the noise. The noise was not the hotel's fault but when you can hear ever scraping as chairs moved, the sliding door opening and closing, people jumping off the bed and running, you wish for more sound proofing. Things settled down a bit, we got to sleep, only to be woken up by about three people jumping off the bed and running across the floor at about 1AM. Called the desk to complain and see if they could do something. It must have rung about 20 times with no answer. That brought on a little anxiety, what if it was an emergency? Nobody was home. This had happened earlier in the evening too when I was calling to ask a question. Why wasn't anyone picking up? Finally I called the actual hotel number with my cell phone, got an answer, and the man said he would go there right away. I didn't see him go there, nor hear him clumping up the stairs [boom, boom, boom] but everything quieted down again. Next morning we went to breakfast then on to the pool. Breakfast still had an hour+ left, but not much food was left at all, [no eggs, no milk, little choice in breads] and the areas on the counters around it were really messy as no one was wiping things down. Pool was great and empty again. Stay = a mixed bag.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Racer1801, Director of Sales at Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 22 April 2010
Dear Patti:

Thank you for choosing Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center for your recent stay. I would also like to thank you for the feedback from your stay. I apologize for the appearance of the exterior door of your king suite, this morning I looked up to see what room you were in and saw that you were not in a newly renovated king suite. We are planning on renovating building seven, we just haven't gotten to it yet. Along with the full renovation of the interior of the room, we are replacing the exterior doors as well. The next time you return to Bloomington/Normal, contact me directly and I will personally see to it that you are placed in a newly renovated king suite. All of our king suites and loft suites will be renovated by July 1st.

I apologize that nobody answered your phone call at 1am. Our overnight front desk agents are required to take security walks periodically throughout their shift. I just checked our security log and the front desk agent that was on staff that evening was on a security walk during that time. I also spoke to him and he said the room above you received another noise complaint and he called the room right away, the person who answered the phone apologized right away and said they would keep it quiet and he felt there was no need to go to the room.

As for the breakfast issues, the cleanliness of the breakfast room is unacceptable. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. As for the milk, there is a milk machine at the end of the counter, was it not working or empty? The eggs are something that we just added to our breakfast the day before your stay, our breakfast was always just a continental breakfast and we are trying things to improve it..

Feedback like yours will only help us improve our hotel.

I am glad to hear that your grandchildren enjoyed the pool

Please feel free to contact me at any time if you ever have any issues or concerns with future stays.

Best Regards,

Raymond Ceresa
Director of Sales and Operations
309-662-0000
IL
Reviewed 8 February 2010

This is our second time staying at this hotel. We had stayed in other hotels in the Bloomington area in years past, but this by far was the best. The two night stay each time was pleasant and hassle free - We were able to get a king suite with the fireplace which warmed up a cold winter night - the accommodations were first rate, with strong water pressure in the showers and full kitchen. The large king bed was so comfortable with plenty of pillows and warm down comforter. All in all, the best place in the area for the price, and the accommodations can't be beat. A 5 star experience! Will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
rceresa, Director of Sales and Operations at Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 March 2010
Dear IslandHopper2009:

Thank you for the wonderful feedback from your recent stay at Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center, Bloomington, Illinois.

We appreciate your business and look forward to having you back!

Warmest Regards:

Raymond Ceresa
Director of Sales
309-662-0000
Midwest
Reviewed 17 September 2009

I stayed overnight here to attend a reunion in Normal on September 11th. The place was so quiet that I thought I must be the only one there. The room (one queen bed) was very nice, and the bed was comfortable. Check in was a breeze and the staff was very friendly.

I just stayed overnight and left the next morning so I don' know how room service or the rest of the facility was but I felt safe and that's a plus when traveling alone.

I will consider this hotel for next year's reunion.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Chicago
Reviewed 22 December 2008

This hotel is tucked in off Veterans Parkway, so people may not even know it's there we have stayed at some of the other chain hotels, and Eastland Suites is comparable to those,
My husband and I stayed in the building that houses non-suite rooms, The grounds and room were clean and nicely decorated. Our room was spacious as compared to other double-bed rooms. We made it to the tail end of the free breakfast, which by then, was just okay. The only real concern is that the building is not secured late at night (we returned to the hotel at 1:00a.m.) and you can just walk in without using your key card.
There's lots of shopping and restaurants close-by. It's 10 minutes from the ISU campus. We will definitely stay here whenever we are in the Bloomington area again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Security
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)