“Stay away”

Super 8 Bloomington
Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
“Stay away”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I'm currently stayinf in this dump bexause my boyfruend is cheap. The hotel smells there's no elevator and the stairwell is hot. The only redeeming quality about this place is the ac and its location. There are defunatly better hotels blocks away.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I've stayed in budget hotels, motels, you name it. Sometimes I think it is funny how outdated room elements are, but usually if a place is clean and staff are friendly, I am satisfied. I am easy to please. But this place takes the cake.

ACCOMMODATIONS

1. We are traveling with a pet and paid a little extra. The room they gave us was pretty large, with a couch, and right next to the stairwell, so we can take the dog out quickly. This is the only pro.

2. The design aesthetic is horrible and outdated. Burgundy everywhere. It is like an early 90's time capsule. Again, not a deal breaker.

3. When you look closely, you can tell that they cut corners everywhere. Under the king mattress, are two twin box springs. Explains why the bed felt like it was sinking in the middle. Underneath that, an exposed un-sanded wood frame for a bed frame. Underneath that?? You can see carpet padding! There is a square of no carpet under the bed. The only explanation I can think for this is they needed some carpet for a patch somewhere and figured no one would notice if they took from under the bed. Also, the carpet is so old, i doubt it is ever really clean.

4. The sheets all have burn holes in them. The mattress had black stains on it. There are 3 uncomfortable pillows. More on pillows later!

5. As soon as we walked in, we were assaulted by a bad smell. Maybe they put all pet owners in this room and never clean thoroughly. I don't know. Just stuffy and bad smelling.

6. Bathroom seemed clean. SEEMED clean. However, all of the towels are wimpy, and worse, stained. Also, I lifted up the ice bin on the back of the toilet, and there was a black sludgy stain under it. I hope nobody uses that to get ice.

7. Breakfast bar was not great. The problem: No protein source. No boiled eggs, no protein, nothing. Just carbs. I'm not a dieting freak, but you get hungry very fast with no protein.

8. Internet sucked. Their sign advertises high speed internet. I had to tether to my phone the whole time and use up my data. TV was really old and small. No HDMI input. I was fine with these two problems, except the room has cable, but only a standard remote, which posed a few complications. Sometimes the channel up would change the cable channel, but sometimes it would change the input instead. Then it was very hard to get back to cable.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

1. In the lobby, I witnessed a front desk employee arguing with a maintenance man. He was talking about a problem and how he had 35 minutes left on his shift and he was going to leave whether it was fixed or not. I was perplexed why this was happening in front of me as I sat in the lobby. It was awkward. It seemed back-woodsy and unprofessional.

2. Another reviewer mentioned it, but the cleaning staff tries to come into the room very early. I kept the do not disturb sign up to make sure they wouldn't barge in. We only had service the 2nd day we were here. I left the room with the dog so they could clean. I asked very politely for a 4th pillow, so we could have two each. This is the response I got "Oh... another pillow? ... Maybe... I check my storage.... When you check out?... Thursday?.... Okay, another pillow.... 2 dollar tip." So basically she was trying to sell me another pillow?! I told her we will tip at check out. Came back later, no extra pillow. I have never experienced such a customer service fail! I have not let them back in the room since then. If I am getting pillows withheld for 2 dollars, why should I trust leaving my electronics and belongings in here?? They can get way more than 2 dollars for my laptop if they are honestly that desperate!

3. Another customer service gripe. Front desk staff had either been friendly, or ignored me, based on who was there. I'm fine with being ignored, I don't want to chit chat every time I come in and out with my dog. However, today, there is a new lady at the front desk. As I walk back in from a doggie bathroom break, she asks me something that I can't quite understand as I'm trying to rush my dog in. I thought she was asking how I may be helped or something. I said, oh no, I just going upstairs. She said "No, what your room number? What your room!?" I was confused, so I just said the number and went upstairs juggling the dog. By the time I got up there, I was upset. I called the front desk and said "Hi, I was just downstairs. Is there a reason you asked my room number? Is there a problem?" "No, no problem, bye." She was about to hang up on me! "No, hold on, then why did you ask? Do you ask everyone their room number?" "No, no problem. I am the owner, I hadn't seen you before, that is why I asked." So she doesn't ask everyone their room number, but she decided to ask me? The only reason I can think of is discrimination because I am mixed-race. She asked me like I was breaking in! And she is the owner!? Shouldn't she know something about customer service? No wonder the staff is trained so poorly. Who walks into the hotel they have been at for 4 days, only to be barked at with "What room are you in?!" I think if children were playing make-believe as the owner of a hotel, they wouldn't treat their pretend customers this way. How do you get to adulthood without understanding basic customer service?

I had to write this review right after getting off of the phone with the owner. I don't check out until tomorrow morning. It cannot come soon enough. I do not care how outdated everything is, how basic the accommodations, and even how everything wasn't very clean. However, the staff is just SO RUDE and out there in their concept of appropriate behavior. I was always so initially shocked at the things that they said, that I could never even process how rude it was until like 5 minutes later. DO NOT STAY HERE!!! The only reason we didn't leave is because everyone else was booked :(

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
West Central Illinois
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Never before have I been so disguisted at a hotel. I am disappointed that it even gets any kind of rating (i.e. the green circles). I will just put this in list form so it is clear enough for hotel management to follow should they care.

1. Booking: Priceline.com
2. Cost: $50/night (more than I paid for several other quality hotels in the area on Priceline!)
3. Length of Stay: 2 miserable nights
4. Almost Check in: The woman at the front desk had a clear hatred for anybody booking through Priceline and refused to give me a nonsmoking room because she said Priceline booked a smoking room. Then she sent me down to the end of the hall to a (smoking) room that didn't even have a door knob. It looked like the room had been broken into.
5. Check in for real: I was given a different room (a downgrade with one bed instead of two but still SMOKING. This despite her telling me that the hotel was booked to capacity!) The room was on the third floor. Not a problem? Wrong! NO ELEVATOR! It is always a good time to carry a hundred pounds of luggage across a parking lot then up and down a long hall and then up three flights of stairs and down another hall.
6. Lobby: Run down. Smelled like smoke. Looked like a horror film.
7: Bathroom: Dirty moldy grout, huge chip in the toilet. One dirty towel, two dirty washcloths, two dirty hand towels, hottest water available was lukewarm at best, two bars of soap, one tiney shampoo. (Are hotel towels supposed to be brown/gray?!) I went to the store and bought towels and bleach. I still felt like I might get something.
8. Bed: OLD, worn out, black stains on underside of comforter left over from 1960, burn holes in all bedding, a flat sheet not at all secured to the bed, a wooden frame below that I can see the corner of a huge hollow space where the unknown resides, three pillows no nicerthan a towel in a bag.
9 AC: If there is one good quality here, it is that the AC is cold.
10. Windows: One cracked. Other opens. No screen! So the wasps can come in when you try to get rid of some of the smoke smell.
11. Carpet: Dirty! Full of burn holes!
12. TV: Old. Small. Several channels.
13. Refrigerator and Microwave and Coffee Pot: Present and filfthy.
14: Outlets: You can plug your laptop or phone charger in if you want to unplug the refrigerator and microwave or TV.
15. Breakfast: It was there. I was NOT brave enough to try it.
16. Internet: Sort of. It only took 20 mminutes to connect.
...and..........FINALLY........because of this place, I will NEVER book on Priceline again.

Room Tip: PLEASE don't go here! This place has given up and the desk person is bitter. They do NOT care a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LJC67
Springfield, IL
Reviewed 12 July 2013

What a dump. I was very tempted to eat the $54 i got the room for via priceline. Priceline seriously needs to remove this hotel from their list. I have nothing good to say other than front desk kid was friendly. Felt safe because i had my gun with me and i was alone. My wife would have eaten the $54. Never bid on less than 3 1/2 stars via priceline.

• Stayed July 2013
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 24 June 2013

i stayed here for 2 weeks for the first week housekeeping refused to clean the room the second week housekeeping repeatedly entered the room when i was gone and attempted to enter while i was sleeping thank god for chain locks. it wasn't clean when i got there the windows are cracked and broken out the housekeeping team lives on the third floor as do all weekly rentals so every time i came out of the room they had something to say always disrespectful and difficult to understand being that they are not american when i complained about the constant harassment the manager tryed to handle the problem but since the housekeeping team is friends with the owners the manager got a call from the owner blaming me for the problems for the cost and the problems it is not worth it in 2 weeks I've been in 4 different rooms because they booked my room while i was in it WILL NEVER BE BACK GO TO THE MOTEL 6 THEY ARE AT LEAST FRIENDLY AND RESPECTFUL

Room Tip: Go to the motel 6 this place is ridiculous
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family