“Very Cheap but You Get...”

Super 8 Bloomington
Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed 11 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Bloomington

Reviewed 17 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Definitely a 2 or 3 minus rating. Phone did not work. No place to hang towels when using again.
No internet. Could not figure out how to use their alarm. Seems like there should be a better low priced hotel somewhere in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2013

IF I could give this place a ZERO I would!! HEED the reviews here & KEEP LOOKING!!!

Dirty - carpet, walls, bathroom... there was HAIR on the (clean??) towels in the bathroom - asked for more at the front desk & was provided with extras "in case there were more with hairs" This place SMELLED - it was a musty - dirty - dirt kind of smell.

Noisy AC ran all night long - and it wasn't "white" noise.

Hot stuffy stairwell (no elevator) - at least the only entry was via main lobby area.

Skipped the breakfast - appeared to be cereal, slices of bread and coffee. Glad to get out of here and on the road. SHAME on me for making reservations to stay here!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I'm currently stayinf in this dump bexause my boyfruend is cheap. The hotel smells there's no elevator and the stairwell is hot. The only redeeming quality about this place is the ac and its location. There are defunatly better hotels blocks away.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I've stayed in budget hotels, motels, you name it. Sometimes I think it is funny how outdated room elements are, but usually if a place is clean and staff are friendly, I am satisfied. I am easy to please. But this place takes the cake.

ACCOMMODATIONS

1. We are traveling with a pet and paid a little extra. The room they gave us was pretty large, with a couch, and right next to the stairwell, so we can take the dog out quickly. This is the only pro.

2. The design aesthetic is horrible and outdated. Burgundy everywhere. It is like an early 90's time capsule. Again, not a deal breaker.

3. When you look closely, you can tell that they cut corners everywhere. Under the king mattress, are two twin box springs. Explains why the bed felt like it was sinking in the middle. Underneath that, an exposed un-sanded wood frame for a bed frame. Underneath that?? You can see carpet padding! There is a square of no carpet under the bed. The only explanation I can think for this is they needed some carpet for a patch somewhere and figured no one would notice if they took from under the bed. Also, the carpet is so old, i doubt it is ever really clean.

4. The sheets all have burn holes in them. The mattress had black stains on it. There are 3 uncomfortable pillows. More on pillows later!

5. As soon as we walked in, we were assaulted by a bad smell. Maybe they put all pet owners in this room and never clean thoroughly. I don't know. Just stuffy and bad smelling.

6. Bathroom seemed clean. SEEMED clean. However, all of the towels are wimpy, and worse, stained. Also, I lifted up the ice bin on the back of the toilet, and there was a black sludgy stain under it. I hope nobody uses that to get ice.

7. Breakfast bar was not great. The problem: No protein source. No boiled eggs, no protein, nothing. Just carbs. I'm not a dieting freak, but you get hungry very fast with no protein.

8. Internet sucked. Their sign advertises high speed internet. I had to tether to my phone the whole time and use up my data. TV was really old and small. No HDMI input. I was fine with these two problems, except the room has cable, but only a standard remote, which posed a few complications. Sometimes the channel up would change the cable channel, but sometimes it would change the input instead. Then it was very hard to get back to cable.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

1. In the lobby, I witnessed a front desk employee arguing with a maintenance man. He was talking about a problem and how he had 35 minutes left on his shift and he was going to leave whether it was fixed or not. I was perplexed why this was happening in front of me as I sat in the lobby. It was awkward. It seemed back-woodsy and unprofessional.

2. Another reviewer mentioned it, but the cleaning staff tries to come into the room very early. I kept the do not disturb sign up to make sure they wouldn't barge in. We only had service the 2nd day we were here. I left the room with the dog so they could clean. I asked very politely for a 4th pillow, so we could have two each. This is the response I got "Oh... another pillow? ... Maybe... I check my storage.... When you check out?... Thursday?.... Okay, another pillow.... 2 dollar tip." So basically she was trying to sell me another pillow?! I told her we will tip at check out. Came back later, no extra pillow. I have never experienced such a customer service fail! I have not let them back in the room since then. If I am getting pillows withheld for 2 dollars, why should I trust leaving my electronics and belongings in here?? They can get way more than 2 dollars for my laptop if they are honestly that desperate!

3. Another customer service gripe. Front desk staff had either been friendly, or ignored me, based on who was there. I'm fine with being ignored, I don't want to chit chat every time I come in and out with my dog. However, today, there is a new lady at the front desk. As I walk back in from a doggie bathroom break, she asks me something that I can't quite understand as I'm trying to rush my dog in. I thought she was asking how I may be helped or something. I said, oh no, I just going upstairs. She said "No, what your room number? What your room!?" I was confused, so I just said the number and went upstairs juggling the dog. By the time I got up there, I was upset. I called the front desk and said "Hi, I was just downstairs. Is there a reason you asked my room number? Is there a problem?" "No, no problem, bye." She was about to hang up on me! "No, hold on, then why did you ask? Do you ask everyone their room number?" "No, no problem. I am the owner, I hadn't seen you before, that is why I asked." So she doesn't ask everyone their room number, but she decided to ask me? The only reason I can think of is discrimination because I am mixed-race. She asked me like I was breaking in! And she is the owner!? Shouldn't she know something about customer service? No wonder the staff is trained so poorly. Who walks into the hotel they have been at for 4 days, only to be barked at with "What room are you in?!" I think if children were playing make-believe as the owner of a hotel, they wouldn't treat their pretend customers this way. How do you get to adulthood without understanding basic customer service?

I had to write this review right after getting off of the phone with the owner. I don't check out until tomorrow morning. It cannot come soon enough. I do not care how outdated everything is, how basic the accommodations, and even how everything wasn't very clean. However, the staff is just SO RUDE and out there in their concept of appropriate behavior. I was always so initially shocked at the things that they said, that I could never even process how rude it was until like 5 minutes later. DO NOT STAY HERE!!! The only reason we didn't leave is because everyone else was booked :(

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Red Roof Inn Bloomington
Days Inn Bloomington Normal
#19 of 22 in Bloomington
Baymont Inn & Suites Normal Bloomington
Hampton Inn & Suites Bloomington-Normal

Been to Super 8 Bloomington? Share your experiences!