“College Road Trip "Vacancy" Horror”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #22 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Willowbrook, Illinois
“College Road Trip "Vacancy" Horror”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

As a first time AARP user, I was VERY DISAPPOINTED! My suggestion comment and feedback would be (HIGHLY) to check out hotels before you sell them to customers!

While on the road traveling and visiting colleges with my daughter, I was hoping (and trusting) AARP travel service could help me save time and money with providing area hotel accommodations. Instead, the service wasted 4 hours of my travel time (including having to find other accommodations on our own and writing this) and added more upset and aggravation than anything else.

The hotel AARP provided was a dump: very unkept, smelly, unclean (mold everywhere: bathrooms, ceilings) and was a place that should be closed down! Even worse, when trying to cancel, I was told I still had to be charged for the room because I was there for an hour (the time it took me to try and cancel everything)! After an awful and upsetting 40 minute phone and person ordeal with the hotel front desk employee and the AARP, cancelation and a full refund was made.

Unfortunately, as a result of all this (and needless to say), I was very disappointed and very unhappy with this service and would not recommend its use in the future, nor to anyone. (Celebrity Betty White would not be very happy, either!)

Room Tip: Search for hotel accommodations yourself!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank roadtrip2011_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

I chose this hotel for lodging for a graduation event. The hotel definitely needs some remodeling. It is showing it's age. Cleanliness could have been better. The breakfast area was OK, but wasn't always stocked well. The second morning, the orange juice dispenser needed filling and the gal who was on duty arrived late. This left the person who manned the desk to fill in.

Until the rooms are remodeled and the service improves I would not recommend this hotel

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2011

I wish I had read the reviews here first. We selected the place because we had free points with Choice Hotels. I had been injured on our trip and could not help my husband drive. We were both very tried when we got there or we would have moved on.

The room smelled terrible (we had put chair in the door to hold it open until we went to bed (ater we stripped all but sheets). The floor was dirty. Stairs going to second floor were rusty. The place was a real dive.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ohi008
Carbondale, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2010

Great play to stay while in Bloomington, IL. Rooms were clean and the service was great!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Garyj4040
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2010

Came in with a group. Paid for all but two rooms before our arrival date. Gave them my credit card upon arrival for one of the two remaining rooms. They didn't run it for weeks(?), they said, because my room was linked to group. So after they called me, they ran it three (3) times. Then a week later they ran it again & forgot the decimal point, and then ran it again for the correct amount!?!?!
Of course, my credit card was maxed when they ran $9000. Got that reversed same day, but still have four (4) room charges for one (1) room for a one-night stay. Ridiculous!

• Stayed November 2010
Bloomington, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2010

I stayed in this hotel with my husband. We wanted to get away from our crowded house and did not want to spend a fortune. We originally booked for 2 nights. When we arrived, we almost immediately checked out as the room was not clean, and smelled awful. We decided to go ahead and give it a try. When we went to sleep for the night, we left the television on, as we usually do when we are away from home for ambient noise. When we woke up in the morning, the inner door to the adjacent room was open, things were moved out of the way of the door, and we realized that there was no lock on the door to our room. The television had also been turned off. We reported this to the 'rude' desk clerk in the morning and she immediately refuted the idea saying 'there wasn't anyone in the room next to you'. I guess that this was supposed to ease our fears, however, the fact that someone had been in our room did not sit well. We checked out and decided not to stay the second night. We found out shortly after check out that our credit card had been charged for 3 nights instead of the 1 that we stayed and are still trying to get that sorted out. I would not recommend staying here unless you enjoy being spied on while you are sleeping.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank momof461705
East Peoria, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

My stay at this hotel was ridiculous. We got a standard double smoking room and the online price said it was $70 but when we got there they charged us $101.86. After we paid, the woman at the front desk almost forgot to give us our key to the room. She also took my ID and didn't give it back until a few hours later. The whirl pool was extremely hot but the pool wasn't bad. After we got done swimming our towels were put aside in the bathroom. Later that night we noticed what appeared to be crickets throughout our room. I found one crawling on the wall and multiples on our damp towels. When I got to my house I took out my towl and swim suit to find some of the crickets were stuck to my towel! It was absolutely disgusting! I would have to say that my visit at this hotel was a terrible experience and I do NOT recommend anyone to come here! Not to mention the woman at the front desk also told us that breakfast was served at 9 and ended at 11. The next morning we found out that breakfast started at 6 and ended at 9..therefore we were not able to eat because it was too late.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends