I rarely ever write hotel reviews and I am not easily driven to complain about a stay. If I don't like a hotel, I just do not go back, but this Quality Inn serves up anything but Quality. I was staying here while passing through Bloomington, IL on my way to a weekend trip and this was BY FAR THE WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE! I have traveled the world, lived in Asia, and stayed in hostels, so my experience is not limited to chain hotels in the U.S. Where to begin...
1. The pierced and tattooed girl at the check-in counter was just plain rude. I was using my boyfriend's points for this stay, and he made the reservation for me. Upon check-in she informed me that she was not supposed to allow me to stay there under his points and that she could get fired for letting me stay... but that she would still check me in this time. She rudely told me that I “had better tell my boyfriend” that he can’t let people stay on his points when he isn’t with them. I have stayed many times at Choice Hotels using his points and have never been told this before, nor have I ever been treated this rudely by any front-desk clerk at any hotel.
2. The check-in girl finally gave me keys to my room and told me to drive around to the side of the hotel. I had already parked and had my overnight bag with me. I told her I wanted to leave my car out front (it isn't a very good part of town, and the hotel is near a truck stop) and she seemed reluctant to give me directions on how to get to my room on foot. It was outside a back door and through a courtyard and it was 10:30 on a Friday night.
3. I walked to the outdoor wing with my bag and found that most of the rooms in that wing had the doors ajar, the TV's on, the curtains open, and the beds unmade or messed up! However, there wasn't anyone in the rooms! I got to my room (140) and it was the same scenario. The door was ajar, TV on, bed messed up, no lights on, and no one in the room! The room was disgusting: carpet worn, duct tape on the desk chair, unwashed linens, etc. I WASN'T STAYING THERE!
4. I walked directly back through the courtyard toward the back door and then my room keys wouldn't work to get me back into the building! I was standing next to a dumpster (placed right outside the back entrance) and couldn't get anyone to let me in. I ended up having to walk all the way back around the building dragging my bag to go in the front door. Cold, dark, not a good area of town, and the building next door was an abandoned restaurant.
5. I told the front desk clerk that someone had already been in my room and she seemed surprised. I also told her that my key wouldn't work in the back door. She said it was my fault and I must have demagnetized it! I told her the place was filthy and I wasn't staying and gave her back the key. I asked her to credit back my boyfriends points and she told me that she couldn't do that.
6. I left and called a Marriott property down the road, paid for a room, and had a good night's sleep after a shower. I felt disgusting after just being in that place!
7. I returned the next morning to the Quality Inn to take some photos of the place for this review. While I was walking the property taking photos of how run down and dirty it was, I walked through the lobby and took photos in front of the front desk clerk - she had been in the office the night before and knew who I was. She didn't say a word to me or ask me to stop taking photos.
8. I got to my car in the parking lot and was texting the photos to my boyfriend before leaving when a young man who appeared to be employed by the hotel walked up to my car window. He had a hotel towel in his right hand and was holding ice on his right eye, which was swollen almost shut from what looked like a fistfight the night before. He asked me why I was taking photos of the place and did his best to look menacing and intimidating. I told him I was taking photos to post a negative review, and he started slowly backing away from my car glaring at me. I finally took a photo of him and he started yelling obscenities at me. I drove away shaking. He was obviously called by the front desk clerk to intimidate me, because she was the only person I saw at the hotel while I was walking around that morning.
9. I called Choice Hotels Guest Services and they apologized, started an investigation of the hotel, and credited back my boyfriend’s points for the stay that wasn't completed.
While Choice Hotels did their best to make amends for the experience, that still didn't make up for the fact that I was harassed and had to pay $100 to stay at another hotel because of the poor condition and service that I encountered at their property. Overall, it was a terrible experience and you should this hotel at all costs! Sleep in your car before renting a room here! I’m serious!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Choice Hotels, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Econo Lodge Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quality Inn And Suites
- Quality Hotel Bloomington
- Quality Inn Bloomington
- Bloomington Quality Inn