“A Thug Employee Harassed me for Taking Photos of this Hotel for This Review”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #22 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Mount Morris, Illinois
“A Thug Employee Harassed me for Taking Photos of this Hotel for This Review”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I rarely ever write hotel reviews and I am not easily driven to complain about a stay. If I don't like a hotel, I just do not go back, but this Quality Inn serves up anything but Quality. I was staying here while passing through Bloomington, IL on my way to a weekend trip and this was BY FAR THE WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE! I have traveled the world, lived in Asia, and stayed in hostels, so my experience is not limited to chain hotels in the U.S. Where to begin...
1. The pierced and tattooed girl at the check-in counter was just plain rude. I was using my boyfriend's points for this stay, and he made the reservation for me. Upon check-in she informed me that she was not supposed to allow me to stay there under his points and that she could get fired for letting me stay... but that she would still check me in this time. She rudely told me that I “had better tell my boyfriend” that he can’t let people stay on his points when he isn’t with them. I have stayed many times at Choice Hotels using his points and have never been told this before, nor have I ever been treated this rudely by any front-desk clerk at any hotel.
2. The check-in girl finally gave me keys to my room and told me to drive around to the side of the hotel. I had already parked and had my overnight bag with me. I told her I wanted to leave my car out front (it isn't a very good part of town, and the hotel is near a truck stop) and she seemed reluctant to give me directions on how to get to my room on foot. It was outside a back door and through a courtyard and it was 10:30 on a Friday night.
3. I walked to the outdoor wing with my bag and found that most of the rooms in that wing had the doors ajar, the TV's on, the curtains open, and the beds unmade or messed up! However, there wasn't anyone in the rooms! I got to my room (140) and it was the same scenario. The door was ajar, TV on, bed messed up, no lights on, and no one in the room! The room was disgusting: carpet worn, duct tape on the desk chair, unwashed linens, etc. I WASN'T STAYING THERE!
4. I walked directly back through the courtyard toward the back door and then my room keys wouldn't work to get me back into the building! I was standing next to a dumpster (placed right outside the back entrance) and couldn't get anyone to let me in. I ended up having to walk all the way back around the building dragging my bag to go in the front door. Cold, dark, not a good area of town, and the building next door was an abandoned restaurant.
5. I told the front desk clerk that someone had already been in my room and she seemed surprised. I also told her that my key wouldn't work in the back door. She said it was my fault and I must have demagnetized it! I told her the place was filthy and I wasn't staying and gave her back the key. I asked her to credit back my boyfriends points and she told me that she couldn't do that.
6. I left and called a Marriott property down the road, paid for a room, and had a good night's sleep after a shower. I felt disgusting after just being in that place!
7. I returned the next morning to the Quality Inn to take some photos of the place for this review. While I was walking the property taking photos of how run down and dirty it was, I walked through the lobby and took photos in front of the front desk clerk - she had been in the office the night before and knew who I was. She didn't say a word to me or ask me to stop taking photos.
8. I got to my car in the parking lot and was texting the photos to my boyfriend before leaving when a young man who appeared to be employed by the hotel walked up to my car window. He had a hotel towel in his right hand and was holding ice on his right eye, which was swollen almost shut from what looked like a fistfight the night before. He asked me why I was taking photos of the place and did his best to look menacing and intimidating. I told him I was taking photos to post a negative review, and he started slowly backing away from my car glaring at me. I finally took a photo of him and he started yelling obscenities at me. I drove away shaking. He was obviously called by the front desk clerk to intimidate me, because she was the only person I saw at the hotel while I was walking around that morning.
9. I called Choice Hotels Guest Services and they apologized, started an investigation of the hotel, and credited back my boyfriend’s points for the stay that wasn't completed.

While Choice Hotels did their best to make amends for the experience, that still didn't make up for the fact that I was harassed and had to pay $100 to stay at another hotel because of the poor condition and service that I encountered at their property. Overall, it was a terrible experience and you should this hotel at all costs! Sleep in your car before renting a room here! I’m serious!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank DJenkins2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Mankato, MN
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel with a tour group so did not have the option of moving elsewhere. All carpets (lobby, halls and rooms were filthy). Walls in the room had smears of something gross and all corners and carpet edges had dirt accumulated. The ice machine was in a separate dirty storage type area. The phone and ice bucket looked like they had not been cleaned in ages. The tour operator should have known better and the hotel management and staff should be held accountable by the franchise. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hille50
Smyrna, Georgia
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

I can't speak for the experiences of other reviewers, but my brother-in-law and I had a pretty solid stay here. Yeah, the room was a bit smelly till we got used to it (didn't smell dirty, more like a cafeteria in an old folks home), and yes, we were confused at first by the nicer Quality Inn lobby up front, but the room itself was clean, with clean sheets, decently firm beds, good cable, and a clean bathroom. Mini fridge and microwave worked great. The free breakfast in the morning at the Quality Inn lobby was basic but good. Easy interstate access and plenty of gas and food nearby.

TIP: stop at an Illinois rest area on one of the interstates and pick up a free coupon guide. That's how we found this place, and we used the coupon and got our double room for 39.95 plus tax (the clerk at check-in gave us the coupon's single-bed rate). No one wants to pay extra for crappy, and frankly I think $55 isn't bad for this place at all, but get the cheapest rate you can.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Iowa
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We were very tired and just wanted to get some sleep. We called the Quality Inn and Suites and was told there was 1 room left for their sister hotel that was literally next door and so we took it. After getting something to eat we went to the room and it was a dump!! The chairs at the table in the room had stains. We looked over the sheets and they seemed clean so we stayed the night due to being extremely tired. I would have rather slept in my car but it was too cold. Would never stay there again. If Quality Inn wants to get $$ for these rooms then they should upgrade the other rooms. Couldn't get a room anywhere due to family weekend at one college and Homecoming at another hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IowaOceanLover
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel needs a major upgrade. The room smelled like bleach and the windows were cloudy. The bathroom needed to be upgraded also. The ice machine looked old and broken down and the pool was nothing to write home about. The hotel needs a major change.

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank EGCubs
Chicago, Il
Reviewed 19 October 2013

If Filthy, Smelly, and Old are your thing, you will love this place. Don't let the cheap rate fool you, you will be sooooooooo sorry. Gets one star because it is not possible to give it zero. Walls are paper thin and you hear EVERYTHING going on in both rooms on either side. Stay away. Sleeping in your car is a better option. Woman at front desk ignored me for several minutes while she chatted on the phone in a foreign language. She just didn't care. Clean? No! Internet Connection? 1 bar-non-existent. Safety? No! I realized when I returned from a meeting that my door does not shut tight unless brute force applied. Not Safe. TV set from 1972. My 'no smoking' room reeked of cigarettes. Blanket had cigarette burns through it. Amazed this place is in business. Photos speak 1000 words. Look at mine and you decide. Place should be closed for health and safety violations.

Room Tip: Never stay here.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We recently traveled to the Bloomington area for a concert. We brought along one of our son's friends, so we booked two rooms at the Quality Inn on Brock Avenue. We have stayed at Choice Hotel locations on a number of occasions and have found them to be very good quality for the dollars spent. This Quality Inn is in dire need of renovation. The door frame at the front entrance was rotting and in need of paint. Our rooms were clean but the walls and ceilings showed a lot of wear and tear. The staff was friendly, but the shape of the hotel was disappointing.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family