“Can't ask for more”

Holiday Inn Express Bourbonnais (Kankakee / Bradley)
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Bourbonnais
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I stayed at this hotel due to a funeral we had to attend. Upon arrival the front desk notified me they had upgraded me to a suite for bing a priority club member which was awesome. The room had a pull out sofa and a separate bedroom area. Even two televisions which allowed me to watch the game while my daughter watched cartoons, this was nice. The staff was polite and went out of their way to say Hi and ask if we needed anything. The free breakfast had pancakes, biscuits and gravy and even cinnamon rolls that my daughter loved. I appreciate the staff making a bad situation a little better for us. Thank You

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank evantanner1109
hieteresa, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bourbonnais (Kankakee / Bradley), responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2016

Sorry slow response.
Thanks for kind comments.

Reviewed 11 October 2010

There are several chain hotels in this area which border a shopping mall. We had previously stayed at the Fairfield and America's Best (formerly Lee's Inn) and decided to go ahead an book a room at the Holiday Inn Express since we are Priority Club members. I was very pleased with the cleanliness and comfort of our room. Four pillows on each bed is a definite plus! We had room #121, which is next to the laundry room, but, we did not hear a single noise throughout our two night stay. The breakfast room has plenty of seating and the food was fresh and replenished promptly. We will be booking this hotel again when we return next summer.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cpjlaj

Sorry slow response. America Best is now a Comfort Inn now. Thanks kind comments.
Staff

Reviewed 8 May 2010

I've stayed at this hotel several times. The staff is very friendly and the price is reasonable for the quality of hotel. The location is good--there's a mall within walking distance and a Cracker Barrell across from the hotel lot.
There have been times when the hotel is nice and quiet and other times when it's so noisy that I've had to call the front desk late at night.
Breakfast is decent and the rooms are moderately comfortable.
Their "business center" is two computers in the lobby that are almost always used by kids, which is annoying.
Cleaning service varies--sometimes they do well, sometimes they are not thorough and don't replace coffee or amenities. The exercise room is not good--it's rarely clean, the equipment is outdated and it's not open 24/7.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank RickyBobbie

Sorry slow response. Fitness room is open 24 hours now. Fitness room all new machines since this review.
Holiday Inn Express Staff

Reviewed 22 February 2010

So ... we arrive @ this hotel for a night visiting traveling friends in for a family event (half-way point). We stayed specifically because this was the best hotel rated on TripAdvisor ... hopefully we can correct that here. The Fairfield Inn, where we stayed later the same evening (story below) was MUCH better in all aspects (and I'm going to guess cheaper too).

Upon arriving, we see a group of EMTs/emergency staff sitting outside on a bench, looking a little ill ... alarming, but we press on. We check in and quickly change to jump in the pool, led by our 5 year old son Nicholas.

When we get downstairs, two guys with the "ill group" tell us that they are surprised that they even have the pool open and that "everyone that was in it this morning is now really sick". We obviously inquire @ the front-desk as to the issue with the pool and whether it has been remedied ... we are told that it is all a big misunderstanding. Apparently there was a scuba-diving or water rescue class being held and everyone seemed to be sick. We were told that it was likely something the class did (implying that they'd done something wrong in their class with the equipment or that some of the attendees were just "not up to it"). We were assured that the pool had been checked and was fine.

We go ahead and head to the pool ... I'm not going to get into how dirty the pool area was or the hole in the ceiling above the pool that was dripping water and looked like a bathtub was going to come crashing down any minute, since that isn't (believe it or not) the purpose of this post.

Our friends get in and join us with their two boys and we all proceed to have a pretty good time. My son gets cranky and says he feels sick, but we pawn it off to a 5 year old being cranky, but my wife heads back to the room with him. I stay for a bit and then head up. I had a pretty bad headache that had started, but that wouldn't be anything too odd for me. Our son has gotten very tired and takes a nap (he was up very early that morning, so again it didn't seem so odd @ the time). I stay with him (he woke up after about 1 hour) and my wife goes back down to our friends only to come back with firemen who had arrived to check on the state of the hotel (I have to assume called by the earlier group, because it was obvious that the hotel wasn't going to be proactive in calling).

We find out that they'd had a gas leak (heated pool) and both my son and I had pretty high levels of CO in our blood ... I assume everyone in our group had the same. They evacuated the entire hotel and we were sitting in the parking lot (getting air fortunately) for about 2 hours. Nicor got the leak remedied and we were told by hotel staff that it was safe to head back in .... HA, right.

The General Manager of the hotel handled it reasonably well and refunded our rooms and also walked us to a neighboring hotel at his cost. Again, not the point of this post.

Everyone was fine, but the what ifs made us crazy the rest of the trip ... all for what is obviously a poorly-run hotel with pretty lazy staff. I don't know what the code is in Indiana with regard to detection devices in public areas, but I'd find it amazing if they were not in some way in violation.

It is unfortunate, as the rest of the hotel was completely fine ... trust is a big thing for us and it is very unlikely, no matter how good everything else was, that we will ever stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank twilkerson

Sorry slow response. Sorry for any issues.

Reviewed 22 December 2009

My job is requires me to stay in the Kankakee area once a week. I have stayed at several of the hotels in Bourbonnais and this one is the best. Very clean hotel, lobby and rooms. The beds are extremely comfy, they offer both firm and soft pillows and plenty of towels. The staff is friendly and polite. I haven't tried the breakfast because unfortunately I check out before it starts (6 AM). I only wish they had a more extensive TV channel selection-- Because I travel alone, I use the TV to keep me company. Otherwise an excellent hotel, and this will be my hotel of choice in the Bourbonnais.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank mrs4530

Sorry slow response. Thanks

Reviewed 7 October 2009

Me, my sister and friend were in town for a church service and our stay there was excellent. The rooms were very clean and had a refrigerator and microwave. If were are ever in Kankakee for any reason our choice would be this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank babyquis

Yes every room has refrigerator and microwave. Thanks for kind words. Sorry late response.
Holiday Inn Express Staff

Reviewed 5 October 2009

Hotel was nice. A little overpriced for the deluxe suite. Staff was nice, but the egg omelette at breakfast was well over the expiration date. A bite went in my mouth and immediately out as it was rotten!! We stayed there with a college volleyball team and others shared they had the same experience with the eggs being either bad or "marginal". It made me uncomfortable to eat the other pre-made items as I wondered if someone was trying to save money and putting the food back in the fridge after it should have been tossed??

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank tdkacv

Sorry slow response. We only have scrambled eggs now.
Teresa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bourbonnais
Fairfield Inn Kankakee Bourbonnais
Magnuson Hotel Bourbonnais
#3 of 6 in Bourbonnais
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Manteno
Red Roof Inn & Suites Monee

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bourbonnais (Kankakee / Bradley)? Share your experiences!