“It is what it is.”

Holiday Inn Express Bourbonnais (Kankakee / Bradley)
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bourbonnais
Atlanta, Georgia
“It is what it is.”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

In no way is this a bash - this is just stating cold fact. HIE Kankakee is a highway motel, serving a rural community. I was in town for a funeral, and on an odd timeline. I arrived late morning and needed to hang my suits before heading to the funeral home to tend to business. The room was not ready, and I was told that i could unpack in the office if I wanted to. I explained that all I cared about was getting things on the hanging rack and then getting off to the funeral home -that I wouldn't mind the unmade room. The manager fought with me, telling me that it's HI policy....well, it's a good way to not have repeat customers. Finally, the room was ready (10 minutes wasted) and I was able to hang my clothes and move on.

The next morning, I had the audacity to expect a warm shower. Since the hotel had been full with teenagers the night before, there was not a drop of warm water to be had. The front desk was uninterested in the issue - "We're full sir, and that's what happens."

For $110 in a roadside motel, I expect a hot shower.

The bathtub had rust stains. The pillows were sub-par at best.

Overall, it's a highway motel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank PHXJeremy
KAKBD, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bourbonnais (Kankakee / Bradley), responded to this review, 22 February 2012
I apologize that you experienced issues at our property. Unfortunately, sometimes rooms aren't available prior to 12 pm, because they are still occupied, or not cleaned yet. I apologize that you had to wait 10 minutes for us to get the room ready, we understand that funerals can be a stressful situation but we were trying to get the room ready as quickly as possible. We were happy to offer to hang up your clothes for you, but that was unacceptable. We do strive to ensure everyone has an enjoyable stay with us and we do apologize that you experienced issues at our property.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 22 October 2011

My wife and I were very pleased with this hotel. We were attending an event at a local university and arrived later in the evening (with prior reservations). The desk clerk was extremely polite and efficient. The room was very clean and quite nice - large screen TV, refrigerator, and microwave. Our room was a king bed room on the first floor. I felt the room was a bargain for the price.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank takerrn
hieteresa, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bourbonnais (Kankakee / Bradley), responded to this review, 11 August 2016
Sorry slow response. Olivet always has rate at hotel. Thanks for comments.
Clio, Michigan
Reviewed 10 October 2011

The lobby looked great but that is where my praise ends. The hot tub has been filled in with concrete and the pool was freezing cold! The ice machine was broken on our floor and the entire building is affected by the smoking rooms. Our "non smoking" was anything but. And my 7 year old discovered the hard way that the hot/cold shower controls are opposite of what they are labeled. So if you're only interested in going to sleep in a clean bed and you smoke, then this is a good place for you!

Room Tip: Verify your "non-smoking" room. It probably isn't or it's near one.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank scott s
So sorry for issues. Sorry slow response.
Chicagoland
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Clean and well kept, check in staff was great, typical Holiday Inn Express. Good location - hosts a lot of people for Bears training camps

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Eric H
Sorry slow response. First preseason game tonight Go Bears.
Northeast Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Stay began with our reservations being incorrect – though I reserved a king, "non smoking" suite for my wife and our kids - they held a king, "smoking" suite for us. The hotel was “full” but they were able to find a double queen, non smoking suite, not what I reserved but it had to do. Room had a damp, musty smell, nothing else available. Next, this Holiday Inn Express allows dogs. Found this out when the dog on our floor started barking after 9 that night. I did not notice anything on their website re: dogs allowed while researching this hotel and would not have booked our stay had I known this huge fact. Called the front desk and was told, hotel is full and dogs are allowed on every floor, so could not escape the barking. Also, our kids are allergic to dogs. If you are not a dog lover and / or like a peaceful night's sleep, stay elsewhere. Finally, to cap off our trip, while packing to leave, we found a bag of dirty clothes (not ours) behind the curtains in the room (I informed the front desk). We had these issues in a suite, I would be very hesitant of their regular rooms. Glad we booked only 1 night -

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank FamilyMan0010
Sorry slow response.This Holiday Inn Express Dog Friendly.
Staff
Michigan
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Due to a problem with the closing date on our house we ended up staying in this hotel for over a month. Yep, an entire month in a hotel. The staff was very friendly, the room was always clean, and breakfast was yummy (bacon or sausage, eggs, cinnamon rolls, etc.). We also had our two, very large, dogs in tow with us, and the manager was great about setting us up in a room close to the exit. Overall it was a great hotel experience, and I definitely recommend this hotel if you end up in the Kankakee area.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank c_juleski
Sorry slow response. Yes we still are a dog friendly property.
Holiday Inn Express Staff
Northfield, Illinois
Reviewed 30 June 2011

I made reservations for a two week with stay on a business trip and the first night I showed up after work, I was told they did not have a room available for me. All they had was a smoking room. I had to at the last minute find another hotel. I ended up staying at the Fairfield Inn (phenomenal service by the way). I cancelled my reservation with Holiday Inn. The next week, they charged me for the first night stay, even though I had cancelled. I called and spoke to Ed (Edward) the hotel manager to correct this and he refused to do so. I was told that there is no one else I can speak to regarding this, matter, he is the only one that can take care of this and he was not going to do anything about it. He was extremely rude.

I travel for work and stay at hotels quiet a bit and never have I experienced anything like this.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Ricky020202
KAKBD, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bourbonnais (Kankakee / Bradley), responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Unfortunately, this is a reservation issue, in which your company failed to cancel your reservation that we held for you when we were sold out. I apologize for your situation but this wasn't the fault of the hotel. I even offered you a free night stay when you came back even though you have never stayed at this property but you declined and felt obligated to make a review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bourbonnais
Fairfield Inn Kankakee Bourbonnais
#4 of 6 in Bourbonnais
Hilton Garden Inn Kankakee
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Manteno
Red Roof Inn & Suites Monee

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bourbonnais (Kankakee / Bradley)? Share your experiences!