“Lyons Winkups caravan park in Towyn.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Towyn
Lyon's Winkups Caravan Parks
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Lyons Winkups caravan park in Towyn.”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We went for the bank holiday break - Fri 23rd until Mon 26th May 2014. When we entered the van, we saw that the curtains didn't match the furniture and were different in every room. The first day we were there, I opened the cutlery drawer to get a spoon and the handle came off in my hand. When I went to make the beds, there was not enough duvets, when I unfolded one of the sheets it revealed a very big dirty stain and hairs. There was no poppers or buttons on any of the duvet covers, although you could clearly see where they used to be. On the day that we were leaving I got the vacuum cleaner out of the cupboard to use it, but found there was no plug. I'm not one to complain and didn't want to spend time complaining when we were on holiday to enjoy ourselves, but a couple of days after we had come back, I got a nasty letter saying we left the caravan in bad way, and that they have had to get the carpets & Duvets cleaned, and that we were not welcome in the future. I wouldn't go there again if you paid me! In reply to the letter, I rang them up hoping to speak to the person who sent the letter or anyone else with any knowledge of our stay, but apparently only the lady available who took my call and she had been off, I left my number and asked her to get someone to call me back and they never did. I was extremely disappointed in the state of the caravan and overall cleanliness of the site, and have now learnt, that I must complain on my stay, so that I don't get accused of leaving it in the state it was already in to begin with.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
13 Thank Sandie W

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed in an 8 berth camp site, caravan was dirty, oven hadn't been cleaned and it smelt of cigarettes (told by another holidayer that cleaners had been sat in smoking) the bins were at the other side of the camp and overflowing that much that everythig was on the floor (it was that way for two weeks unemptied) we saw a rat in the park which we were told had no swings due to being condemned and unsafe (they don't tell guests this) the chips
Shop made my little girl ill for two days and the young lady behind the counter simply said "well it's not our fault" yet she was the only one who had a sausage that evening out of us all. We went I to the swimming pool and a tile fell off the inside of the pool, also when we went into the hot tub my sister cut her foot on the step of the hot tub which had no sealant on it and had expanded so the tiles were open and sharp. We were actually warned in the club at lunch time by a man who said the chlorine was that high in it that his skin was sore.but we didn't want to believe such things from a camp with a high rating. All the drain pipes to the sewers were all open and uncapped too. The camp looks nice but it certainly shouldn't have a 5* rating. Also the reception booking manager was abrupt and rude and spoke to us like dirt when we voiced our concerns about the bins.
We will not recommend this site to anyone. Also no daytime
Entertainment for kids. Over priced passes.

• Stayed August 2013
14 Thank Destiny64
LyonsHolidayParks, Public Relations Manager at Lyon's Winkups Caravan Parks, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Destiny, we are sorry to hear that you had some problems during your stay. With regards to our pool, chlorine levels are tested on a daily basis by ourselves and on a 6-weekly basis by the local authority; we can confirm chlorine levels at Lyons Winkups do fall within local authority guidelines. We are sorry to hear about the hot tub incident; we take this very seriously and following your review we conducted an internal safety assessment and have subsequently re-covered the steps into the hot tub with a safety flooring material. We note that an accident report form was not logged for this incident and would like to point out that had an issue been raised at the time, we would have attempted to rectify the situation immediately. If you would like to discuss the matter further, please do email us at feedback@lyonsholidayparks.co.uk.
wolverhampton
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I took my Dad for a "Sun" Holiday there last week - after reading some of the views a little worried by what we would find - & I have to say that after doing "Sun" Holidays for over 15 years that this was the most friendly welcome we have ever received - & that's by a good way !.
OK the site is a field of caravans, but pretty much all of them along the North Wales Coast are, & as the site was empty of Holidaymakers - it was Rainy October remember ! - most of the facilities were closed with the Shop open, for those without a car & the takeaway opening Friday, Saturday & Sunday (we were there Mon to Fri so I can't comment on the food) - but just for the very warm welcome by the Reception Girls it's well worth considering above the many other sites along this coast. Thanks Girls for making my Dad & I very welcome ;-)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank scookey
Reviewed 15 September 2013

stayed in a caravan here owners were awful. came out to see us with a bouncer!!! off the site because we complained felt intimidated all week. we left the van spotlass and they wouldnt give us deposit back tgey 1st said the carpet dirty then changed mind and said table was damaged. we put a big complaint in to camp they never even responded rubbish customer services not recommended

• Stayed July 2013
17 Thank winkups
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This was our 2rd Visit in last last 6 summer holiday's (try to vary around Towyn)
Think they are finally spending some money on the site, as Golden Sands (next door) is a 5* site they have had to move with the times. And yes they have & still are making good improvements.
New road surfaces, new pool, new diner & arcade 100yrds away from site. Could do with upgrading the shop & chippy, looks drab and food expensive (alot more £ than other local chippy's)
Our caravan was lovely in i would say the better side of the site, lovely vans and landscape around the vans, well maintained.
The downside this year from last year was they had height restriction on there in house 'Wacky' where my 8yr old nephew was abruptly told he was not allowed as he was on the line, and yet 12 yr olds were on there (rough playing) at around the same height. Last year we paid £1 an hour, and was great as myself and his Uncle had an hour to ourselves, this year £2 and not allowed. Think they should look at the rules, and young women in cafe, VERY abrupt with me. Then the pool was not open, so really he had nothing to do, apart from the park, where 90% of the time older teenagers were hangin out, not a problem, but he felt a little intimidated, and lastly
WAY TOO MUCH BINGO, ITS A HOLIDAY CAMP FOR FAMILY/COUPLES NOT A BINGO HALL, just getting into a little music/ entertainment & and wham every 45mins BINGO. Other camps i have stayed in have a small seperate Bingo facility. Then the club would just close when they felt like it (this is a repeat thing there) AND AFTERALL IT WAS THE MAIN 2wks HOLIDAYS ???? Doormen were nice guy's, made you feel welcome, women bar staff were nice & polite (dunno about the barman) And the head guy seems nice & friendly.
The reason I came again is because my nephew loved his last visit, but that was ruined by Pool not open as promised, and silly rule in the 'Wacky'
I would maybe go again as the site is looking nice, but only as a couple, and maybe venture round to some other bars for a beer, just to advoid the BINGO.

Room Tip: Left side of the site is more 5* than the right side of the site where the park is.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank SHAZZABirminghamb32
Cheshire
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Went here on a Sun Newspaper £15 holiday in July. Total of £60 paid for Mon-Fri. Myself, disabled Hubby & 35 year old son.
First they tried to get another £38 from me as it was a Sun hol in July. Which I had already paid to Newspaper. Sorted eventually by phone. Just had to pay another £10 for services. (Gas/Electric etc)
Promised a 3 bedroomed caravan.
Arrived late afternoon & given keys to a 2 bedroom. Poor hubby by this time was just about ready to collapse into bed. So back to office & told them my plight. Only to be told.. Your on a sun hol & only entitled to 2. Doesn't usually "do" sun hols in July! Nothing else availble.!
Must have seen the look on my sons face when he thought he'd have to sleep on bed settee.
The lady made a big issue of finding us another caravan, but kindly did so eventually. Thought it was quite good of her at the time.
Very basic van. Some items missing like, tin opener etc. Smallest t.v which kept turning its self off. Bedroom curtains that didnt meet when closed. No blind in shower room. Double bed shot up in the air when I removed bedding from top that were holding it down.
Not as described as " One of their nicer ones"
Having viewed around the park all week It was clear that their was lots of caravans empty. (Including the one I'd been promised over phone.)
Made to feel like second class citizens because we were SUN Hols booking.
Never informed in anyway that the pool would not be availble.
I use Sun Hols often & have never been treated this way.
We just wern't wanted!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank Frithy
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Stayed at Winkups for a 4 day stay in May and was very pleased with them. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the caravan we were put in was very nice and was either kept very clean or was brand new. Short walk to the Towyn arcades and pubs etc and also to the beach which is accessible over a footbridge across the railway (would not recommend this way for wheelchair users). Camp Nightclub was ok but mainly for the Bingo grannys so everything had to fall silent a couple of times a night for approx 30 mins but as only short walk to the Towyn pubs and the funfair just across the road was not a problem. New indoor pool area just being built so hopefully finished for next year.

Made the mistake of booking 4 days in June at Ty Mawr Caravan site opposite end of Towyn and it was awful ! Definitely booking Winkups camp in future.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank STEVE B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Towyn
Pier Hotel Rhyl
Presthaven Holiday Park
Presthaven Holiday Park
#1 of 7 in Prestatyn
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,732 reviews

Been to Lyon's Winkups Caravan Parks? Share your experiences!