“Oddest stay ever.”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Burr Ridge
WI
“Oddest stay ever.”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I had posted this before, it had been there for quite some time, and now it's oddly missing. I hope Tripadvisor isn't now getting paid or threatened to remove unfavorable ratings. We had trouble finding the hotel (not the hotel's problem), so we happened across a friendly police officer that gave us directions and warned us to not leave anything in our car. Got there, checked in, and everything was just fine until bedtime, when we folded back the covers and discovered there was no bottom sheet on the bed. I called the desk and was offered another room. Since we had emptied the car, I just asked for a sheet and we made our own bed. Part 2 of this...got contacted by the hotel chain to contact them so they could "make this right". We contacted the number they gave me, left a message, and never heard back from them. Pretty disappointing. Nice rooms, nice rate, but they seem to be saving money with staffing.

Room Tip: Check to see if it has sheets before you are getting ready to go to bed.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Burr Ridge, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am so disappointed that you had an issue with your room. Please accept my apology. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have spoken to the staff to ensure your experience is not repeated. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at brr@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed 15 February 2013

The place has just been renovated, they did a great job.
I stayed there 6 months, and they took care of everything, right through the renovations.
If there are any problems, Brandi, the manager will take care of it.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
HM-ESA, Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Burr Ridge, responded to this review, 18 February 2013

U.P. Michigan
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Great newly renovated clean hotel, in a great neighborhood with lots of places to eat and shop.
I am in town on business and stayed in almost all hotels in the area and this one is the best value for your dollar by far.The staff is friendly and this hotel is comparable to hotels that i have stayed at that charge more than double the price.I wish i would have found this hotel sooner and saved myself alot of searching and trouble. I Recomend this hotel for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the exterior doors are better so you dont hear people going in and out.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Brad S
HM-ESA, Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Burr Ridge, responded to this review, 28 January 2013

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The room cost was $32 per night. Since I was booked on a flight at Midway airport early in the morning, I thought this hotel would be convenient. First, the person at the desk gave me a key to a room that was already occupied when I got to it. Luckily, they had put the safety lock on the inside or it may have been embarrassing for everyone. The room I received subsequently had wet, used towels in the kitchen and bathroom, urine on the toilet seat and floor and a bathtub that ran non-stop (not dripped - ran). I went to bed at 10pm. At 10:30, someone used a key and attempted to enter my room. Luckily, I had the inside safety lock on. I called the front desk and was told that it was a guest who thought he'd left his phone charger behind. Apparently the front desk had given him the key to check the room. The front desk person told me "not to worry about it, it was just a mistake and it happened all the time." Needless to say, I will not stay at another Extend Stay America again anywhere.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank leeu990
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Burr Ridge, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Chicago - Burr Ridge. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Travellers are raving about these Burr Ridge hotels

Markham
Reviewed 4 September 2011

This is the second time we were assigned Extended Stay America and, unlike the first one near the Detroit area, this one is way worst even for the price I paid.

Maybe the praises first because the list is much shorter:
- close to I-55
- Probably one of the cheapest (see the List of Horrors below) around the Chicago area
- There was a small kitchen with relatively new fridge, microwave, coffee maker and toaster

Now, the List of Horrors:
1. Debris on the carpet (not sure what it was but probably some chips fallen off the walls)
2. Dripping toilet bowl
3. Smoking room assigned to us even though we booked a non through Priceline
4. Only one queen sized bed, not even a couch or sofa bed in the rooms
5. Stained carpet that felt damp and dirty when we walked in
6. Hairs found in sink in bathroom
7. Smelly rooms and hallways
7. Air conditioning's HIGH fan speed didn't work
8. Right next to a funeral home and dark neighbourhood that was quite difficult to find at night (didn't see the sign that another reviewer mentioned by the exit ramp of I-55)
9. Small and old 21" CRT TV that was impossible to watch comfortably from anywhere in the room
10. No shampoo, conditioner, hair dryer or even disposable cups in the bathroom
11. Not-so-friendly staff
12. A large pool of red liquid (possibly watermelon juice) was found and not mopped up from the elevator floor when we arrived
13. I don't consider myself a picky customer but I had to use my wife's towel at this hotel to avoid using theirs (which never happened to me before as I had used towels from hotels/motels all my life)
14. Pillows were small and not firms/supportive enough
15. No complimentary breakfast (didn't expect that for the price I paid anyway)

Since we had a party of three, we had to book two rooms due to the lack of a second bed. This effectively doubled our costs so I could've booked any other hotel (like Fairfield by Marriott we had the night before using Tripadvisor/Hotels.ca) that almost invariably has another queen sized bed or at least a sofa bed. Going from Fairfield to this was like falling from heaven to hell.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank GeneralZ
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I stayed here about 4 years ago. It was decent for the price...convenient to I 55. So, I needed a place to stop for an early flight the next day from Midway and immediately thought of this place. Check in was difficult, the rooms are run down and dirty, and it feels more like a low rent apartment building, than a hotel.

Room Tip: My suggestion, don't stay here.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Cromwell55711
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 December 2010

We have always enjoyed our visit to Extended Stay because of the great service and the friendly employees. Also we have enjoyed the easy access to the shopping , food and entertainment . We were within a few miles from downtown Chicago where we visited quite often. We highly recommend this hotel to everyone because we really had a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge
Best Western Plus Chicagoland - Countryside
Champagne Lodge and Luxury Suites
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Darien

Been to Extended Stay America - Chicago - Burr Ridge? Share your experiences!