“Worst hotel I have ever stayed at”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cahokia
Springfield
“Worst hotel I have ever stayed at”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

hotel is being renovated. pulled up and there were old sinks sitting around the hotel. was not a good impression at all.
given a room that was not cleaned
put in a "non-smoking" room on a floor that obviously had been a smoking floor because it reeked of smoke- the linens in the room gave me a headache, they were so smoky.
don't look behind the night table in the middle between the beds- filled with used kleenex and trash in three out of the four rooms we had the misfortune to rent
gave one of our room keys to someone else- they actually were in the room with my daughter's purse sitting on the desk. thankfully, they were not thiefs and turned around and walked out.
last day- no hot water in the hotel. If it wasn't bad enough that no one had hot water, they continued to serve breakfast. How they could run a restaurant with no hot water I don't know
Talked to the service desk people each time something happened. Apologetic but did nothing to reassure us of our safety. Frankly they were too busy on the phone- one being trained to do her job- to be able to even speak to us in re: to the issue. The last day the desk clerk was extremely rude and was angry at me for complaining.
Received an email from April Hickman, GM yesterday, which was a generic response that she seems to send to everyone. (only responded to me I am sure, because of the negative survey I sent) Canned wording which I see repeated over and over on this site. No action on her part at all to resolve or even listen to our comments.
"Memo" at the front desk was one of the rudest people I have ever encountered. very argumentative- he told me that he had only had "6 complaints" that morning and made it sound like that was a good thing. (maybe it was for that particular hotel)
April Hickman- still waiting for a response from our Consumer Complaint.
thank you!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
cis376, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Good evening Beverly,

I hope that this correspondence finds you doing well. Firstly, I wanted to of course thank you for sharing your comments and thoughts regarding your stay here at Comfort Inn & Suites. I do wish that I had the opportunity to speak with you before you left our hotel so that I could have found a way to compensate your inconveniences.

Our hotel is currently undergoing renovations and we are also experiencing a recent change in management. Transition is not always easy, but we are working to still meet guest needs in spite of the temporary changes.

I am currently working with the team that I have here to change the culture to a more professional culture, of which we perform at the highest level of effiency, we provide the best level of guest service and that we be willing to go the extra mile. We definitely try our best to make each guest happy when they chose to stay with us, but unfortunately sometimes we fall short.

Please understand that even though we may stumble and fall short of exceeding the expectations of our guest, we always try to find a way to make up for what was loss and move forward. With that being said, I wanted to sincerely apologize to you on behalf of the team here. We did not exceed or meet the expectations during your stay, but to resolve the issues that you mentioned, we have created a plan to keep such things from happening in the future.

If you should decide to stay with us again, I hope that we can have that opportunity to provide you with a better experience. If not, we will regard your comments as guidance to do better with the next guest that stays with us. Please accept our apologies.

Your reviews will be shared with my team.

Kindest Regards,

April Hickman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I was caught off guard by the location of this hotel- not the best area. The hallways looked like they hadn't been vacuumed for weeks. There was a dirty Kleenex on the floor of my room and I found several hairs in the bathroom. Worst of all, although it is a "no smoking" hotel, my room had clearly been a smoking room for a long time and smelled like embedded smoke (I am not a smoker, so this really bothered me). I woke up with a headache that I couldn't shake. I went to Wal-Mart (literally 100 yards from the hotel) to buy Lysol wipes and felt uncomfortable in the parking lot as I was clearly not from around there. Even in my room I didn't feel particularly safe since I was by myself and there was little to no security that I could see.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
cis376, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Anne,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are aware of the problem that you mentioned and we have planned to have the carpets replaced to resolve it. We hope to have the carpet replacements completed by the end of September 2014.

I do apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced during your stay. I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with a better stay experience.

Thanks again for sharing your concerns.

April Hickman, General Manager
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I was in town for orientation for a job. The staff at the front desk is nice. The room was nice. The only complaint is with the noise coming from the A/C unit. I would stay here again. It is only 10 minutes to Busch Stadium.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hello,

Thank you for sending your comments and review to us regarding your recent stay. I have a lot of guests that mention how close we are to the Busch Stadium and they appreciate the convenience of location and price. I hope that everything went well with your job interview.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards,

April Hickman, General Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The overall appearance of the hotel was nice, but once we got into our room, I wish I had chosen to stay somewhere else. There was animal hair all over the couch and carpet in our room. The shower had not been cleaned. It had long strings of thick black hair all over shower curtain. The room was very muggy and humid. Air conditioner did not work for the most part. It is very old and out dated. Definitely should not allow animals if they are not going to keep up with the cleaning.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Chelsea,

Thank you for sending your review in regarding your recent stay. Fortunatelly, we have addressed and resolved the concerns that you mentioned. We hope that you will give us another opporunity to provide you with a better stay experience.

Kind Regards,

Corona, California
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We are traveling across the country. We stayed here to be close to the Gateway Arch without having to pay too much. This place was great. they are remodeling, but it did not bother us...no noise. The room we had was very clean! April, at the front desk, was so wonderful!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank leemary1
cis376, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you so much for the response. I really appreciate your kind words and will definitely share this information with my team.

Hope to see you again.

Comfort Inn & Suites
Bedford, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We were pleasantly surprised and relieved that the hotel was better than reviews led us to expect. Indoor and outdoor renovations are being done. Our room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was newly refurbished and the shower was excellent. The day staff was so helpful and friendly. They experienced housekeeping staff shortage on a very busy holiday week-end, Memorial Day. Our towels were replaced that day but waste baskets were left un-emptied and the bed wasn't made. Breakfast was on-par for Comfort Inns. There was nearby shopping available and the location was quiet. No busy highway outside your door.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diane J
Dear Diane,

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate it when one of our guests takes the time to send reviews regarding their stays. It gives us an idea of how we are doing and gives us a little feedback on what we can do better. I will be sure to share this with the entire team here at Comfort Inn & Suites.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Well, the good part is that it's cheap, and about a five minute drive from downtown St. Louis.

And that's about it, really. The hotel isn't in the most appealing location, which I'd be willing to overlook if it was nice inside. But the whole property seemed like it suffered from a lack of care, and not at all what I'd expect from a Comfort Inn.

Getting off the elevator on the 2nd floor, I was treated to an out-of-order ice machine, and a trashcan that was on the brink of overflowing. One might think the solution to that would be to take the trash out. Instead, a second bag had been attached to the side of the can, and that bag appeared full, as well. Judging by that, I'm guessing the ice machine had been broken for a while.

The room was alright. It was clean enough, but I'm not going so far as to say it was real welcoming. Nice view of the highway, and a trash-filled yard.
Breakfast area also suffered from some issues. Not real clean, and they were out of a lot of things. It didn't appear anyone was working there...if someone was, you certainly wouldn't know it.

Again, it's cheap and close to downtown. If you're okay with that, go for it. Otherwise, there are better hotel options in O'Fallon and some of the other suburbs.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
cis376, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Greetings,

We really appreciate your feedback regarding our hotel. We apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay with us. The property has been recently renovated and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to give you a more pleasurable experience.

General Manager, Comfort Inn & Suites
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahokia
Best Western St. Louis Inn
#1 of 1 in Tesson Ferry
Forest Park
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Louis / Forest Park

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!