“Cairo-my hometown (1957)-lived a block from Shemwell's-it was the best and the best folks ever!”

Shemwell's Barbecue Downtown
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Cairo
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout
Hobbs, NM
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I really just wanted to send a short note to the owner's and their parents and grandparents of Shemwell's. I would like to know if any of the family remembers the Hub Lounge on the corner of 12th and Washington Ave? My parents, Charlie and Edna Thompson owned and operated the business and we lived in an apartment above it. My name is Charla but everybody at Shemwell's called me Tootsie Roll. Many memories from Cairo. I was born in 1957 in St. Mary's and lived there til 1969-we left there in May or June of that year. I hate to see how Cairo has deteriorated-it used to be such a beautiful little town. I haven't been back in 40 years but i keep up online some. Would appreciate some kind of reply from y'all if you remember me or my parents (both deceased).Charla Bascom e-mail: cdbscorpio57@aol.com. Please put "Shemwell's in the subject line. Thanks so much, i look forward to hearing from you.

• Visited December 2012
4 Thank Charla B

West Chicago
“It's a hole in the wall but it is charming with good Q”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We had just finished driving from Dallas to Pensacola Beach sampling food along the way. While this is not Mother's in New Orleans this was just about the best Q we had the entire way. Remember you are well south of that great "Southern" city of Louisville Ky. One word of warning, if decor affects how your food tastes don't bother going because you are stepping back in time to the way all restaurants used to be before McD's. We would go again if we have a chance because it is good simple food at a reasonable price and the people are down south friendly.

• Visited July 2013
Iowa City
“Don't be a hater. Respect Shemwells.”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Localist, the fact she didn't use gloves to make your sandwich is the least of your problems. Have you ever eaten out before? If you have, I guarantee based on my considerable knowledge of kitchen help, you have been subjected to much worse and you didn't realize it at the time. The fact that Shemwell's is able to carry on in their own unique way is the only thing preventing Cario from total collapse. Have a little respect for their tradition and ability to turn out legendary, geographically distinct BBQ in the face of numerous obstacles, including short-sighted remarks of prissy hypochondriacs such as yourself.

• Visited June 2012
11 Thank MastadonBBQ
“Okay”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I went the BBQ was okay
The woman that made my sandwich
Didn't have on any gloves
She just got off the telephone and was
Reading a magizine
She made the sandwich
Then went to the back
And was stoking the fire and putting wood in it(still not wearing any gloves)
And then comes back and finishes making my sandwich
So unsanitary
The health departments needs to pay them a visit and while he's at it bring them some gloves also

Asheville, North Carolina
“Get while it lasts!”
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Shemwells has been serving barbeque over 80 years in Cairo. Their pork sandwiches and vinegar based sauce are legendary. Regrettably, Cairo, and Shemwells with it, seem to be slowly deteriorating. Visiting last month, it was still good, but seems to have lost something. The atmosphere is still "greasy spoon." It is still worth a go, but I recommend the take-out option.

• Visited September 2012