“Fine Dinning? You must be kidding...”
Review of Carreg Llas

Carreg Llas
Price range: US$24 - US$39
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Penarth, Wales, United Kingdom
“Fine Dinning? You must be kidding...”
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

Visited Bluestone as part of an Anniversary present with my Wife and it included a 3 course "fine dinning" meal plus wine at Carreg Llas. I was very much looking forward to the fine dinning experience with my wife, but what a let down it turned out to be.

Firstly, the service is slow. It was not even busy, yet we waited over 15 mins just to have our drink order taken.

Bread plates were laid out, but no bread was offered to us, despite other tables being given this.

Starters: the Goujons were tasteless but the Goats cheese was good although the array of veg with it was a bit strange.

Main courses: There was no Lamb left, and no substitute. This would not normally be an issue, but when there are only 6 options on the menu, 2 of them are vegetarian options then if one of the other meals is missing then it should be replaced by another option. Luckily they agreed to allow the steak option to be used as part of the all inclusive meal option (it's not normally part of it). However, the steak was very much over cooked despite asking for medium rare, and it was strangely over salty. Never had a salty steak before. It was not good, but luckily I will eat most things otherwise I would have gone hungry. The risotto was overloaded with lemon, tasted more like a desert. Again it was not good.

Deserts: These were very nice, but very small. And again some were missing from the menu despite being quiet there.

Other: Starters were served on top of slate slabs which were placed on top of slate place settings. Very odd.
No seasoning on the tables - which should not be needed in fine dinning, but some of this food needed seasoning (not the steak though as that was already over salted)
Our name on the booking was wrong, close but still very much wrong.
Paper napkins used, not the done thing for fine dinning.
A different waiter served us at each section of the meal.
We mentioned our issues throughout the meal but nothing came of it, no feedback from anyone working there, not even an apology from the kitchen.

Plus points: The wine was very nice.

Overall this place has a major identity problem. Trying to be fine dinning but failing miserably. It needs to either step up to the plate properly or relaunch itself for what it really is.

Neither my wife or I will be in any hurry to return.

“Great food, portions a bit small”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We ate here one evening as part of our Bluestone inclusive package. Unfortunately it was only open for one of the four nights we stayed.

The rack of lamb was absolutely delicious and cooked perfectly, but the portion was pretty small.

The orange chocolate fondant was delicious

Visited January 2014
Warminster
“Good Food from limited menu with terrible service!”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We went here for our first wedding anniversary meal as part of a weekend spa package and to be quite honest this was the worst part of the weekend by a long stretch.
The menu is fancy (to be expected I suppose) but really rather small. My starter did not arrive and when queried it was obvious it was not ready; then on arrive it was luke warm at best, as was my husbands starter by this time through all the waiting.
With the main they did cater to my request of differing veg with the lamb however seemed to have provided my husband with the same veg although not requested! It was a very nice but compact meal. We decided against any dessert, jsut didn't fancy any of the options.

As for the service, well I think I would've got better service at a fast food restaurant and well, actually did at Bluestone's version in The Yard restaurant,

The waiters only had eyes for conversation amongst themselves, the largest table in the room or anyone within close proximity to the till - they couldn't ignore your request for assistance that close.

Every time we got served, it was because we had to sit there waving until someone noticed that we wanted attention.
I can only assume, that after an incident with a couple walking out moments after their starter arrived (they had been waiting ages) the manager a member of the team we hadn't seen until this point arrived. He spoke with the staff, the one slightly larger table and promptly left!

On leaving we were given an apology for the lack of speed "it's been manic", they weren't even full, I dread to think what it is like in the height of summer. It is highly likely we will return to Bluestone but definitely not Carreg Las, I get better service if I cook it myself!

• Visited January 2014
“Best choice at Bluestone”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Food was very tasty and definitely more 'up market' than what I was expecting at this type of resort. Service was good and we all went home very full!

• Visited January 2014
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Hardly fine dining”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Bluestone promote Carreg Las as a fine dining restaurant, don't be fooled.
The service is grim, the usual attention one would expect on arrival was lacking...the waiting staff huddled together chatting. Our waiter knew nothing about the dishes on the menu..I asked what Pomme Anna was to be told "it's just potatoes"..in the end after several trips to and from the kitchen to ask the chef what the various dishes contained, the chef himself had to come out. The waiter was very embarrassed and apologetic and explained her lack of knowledge as being due to a change of menu and that she usually worked in the pub downstairs.
The restaurant is dingy not much atmosphere, the music too loud and inappropriate, the serving staff more interested in gossiping out of sight rather than attending to clientele.
The food was mostly good but portions very small. I ordered cheesecake for dessert which was tiny in size, one spoonful and it was gone; it was the same with the cheeseboard; gorgeous welsh cheeses but in wafer thin slithers; some vegetables on the mains were so overcooked they were mush while others were rock hard. We will not be returning...this place needs a fundamental rethink because at present to call it a fine dining experience is quite frankly an expensive joke!!

• Visited November 2013