“Not the best but economical.”

Americas Best Value Inn / Carbondale
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Carbondale
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We checked in to find a non-working toilet (water was turned off) and no towels in room. We called the front desk and it was remedied quickly. There was a cigarette burn in bed linens and remote for TV didn't work. AC worked well and good water pressure and temp. General atmosphere was dingy and a bit sketchy. Within 5 minutes or so to SIU campus.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Hloosevelt

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I was not happy at all.When I went to shower there was blood on the shower curtain from a previous visitor. The wash clothes didn't look clean, there was black specs all over it and also on the towels too. The picture frame had broken glass in it. The beds did not even have a fitted sheet on them. It was Just two top sheets. Overall the room just felt dirty.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Sharon T
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Lobby door propped open with rock as the door handle was missing. The check-in attendant was pleasant. We inquired about breakfast and was advised in AM between 7 and 11, in the lobby. The 'manager'(?) came from the back room to say that the control for the AC was on the wall. There appeared to be only 1 other vehicle in the whole parking lot. Although there was a pan-handler who just happened to be walking by as we parked. Room was in an uncomfortable state of disarray...as if someone(s) had just vacated the room and left the bed in shambles. AC was not on at arrival and took a long time to cool down the room. The TV did work and there was hot water. Yes the tub was chipped, but it held water. Tub grout was moldy and blackened at spots.Toilet wanted to overflow from the get-go. Beat Tired, we slept as best we could.
In morning(7 am), went to lobby for breakfast. Door locked. No one there and No Breakfast as was promised. Went back to room to pack and was locked out of room. Pounding on several 'staff only' doors and lobby windows finally got a response and a new key. We packed and vowed to "NOT BE FOOLED AGAIN." Wickedly poor, Mr Bloss, for hometown experience and personalized service. <Forwarding review to Mr Bloss and to his Guest Relations staff>

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel in area are a preferred choice.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alice_on_a_wing
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This place needs to be shut down. It's not motel but a crack house. While walking to our "suite" we passed an open room and it looked like something that would be on Hoarders! There was garbage literally piled to the ceiling. Our "suite" want much better. The placed reeked of urine, a tweeker asked my 16 year old for rolling papers, there were dead roaches lying around and I couldn't tell if it was feces or blood stains on the bathroom walls but didn't stay to find out. Got my money refunded and high tailed it outta there!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I was looking for a hotel, coming from Chicago to take my son for his New Student Orientation at SIU. I booked this room on their website based on its affordability and closeness to SIU. 1. They did not have my reservation. 2. The room still had someone else's belongings in it and some mouse droppings in there.
3. The unsavory hotel clientele, that apparently lived there, were not real quiet and also had a dog locked in what sounded like one of the bathrooms.
4. There was one single blanket for the bed (no sheet, except the fitted) and I was unsure if that blanket had been washed since being used recently.
5. My face and my son's face (both which are normally pretty clear) had terrible break outs of zits from using the pillows!
I am a skin therapist, this is caused from bacteria ridden pillows and linens. This place was disgusting!!! They offered a continental breakfast the next morning, my son and I didn't even want to look out of fear.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank angelakelly75
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My family and I got back yesterday from this place. When I say it was horrible, that's an understatement. The outside itself will scare you off, but the inside is much worse. The walls were stained. The sheets were filthy. And the shower... I had to wear my flip flops IN THE SHOWER. The "white" towels were literally black. When we went up the stairs to our room, a pile of garage and a pissy carpet greeted us. I would've rather slept in our car. An inspector seriously needs to go and shut this place down.

Room Tip: Rooms outside are much nicer
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This place was DISGUSTING, and that's putting it mildly. Now, I understand why they were the ONLY hotel in the area with a room available during graduation. The concrete floors on the landing for the second floor was covered in urine. The room was filthy. I walked in, walked through, and immediately returned my keycard to the Bates Motel-like innkeeper, telling him that the room was filthy and there was no way I could stay there. Needless to say, his response was "OK." Do yourself a favor and stay far away!!!! GROSS!!!! They want to charge me for the room because they couldn't find anyone else to take the room. BULL!!! They couldn't give that room away for free. Needless to say, there is no way that AmEx will require that I pay for this room. Charge dispute coming. . . love AmEx

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carbondale
Best Western Saluki Inn
#2 of 9 in Carbondale
Days Inn & Suites Carbondale
Holiday Inn Carbondale Conference Center
#2 of 3 in Harrisburg

Been to Americas Best Value Inn / Carbondale? Share your experiences!