“Reliably comfortable with tasty food and friendly people.”

Carol's Garden Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 82 Restaurants in Carol Stream
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chicago, Illinois
“Reliably comfortable with tasty food and friendly people.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

I'm surprised at some of the more negative reviews on here. My husband come here once or twice a month or so, for either breakfast or dinner, and we've never been disappointed in the least. Carol's Garden is a friendly little breakfast-lunch-dinner spot. The place is cute on the inside, and big enough that there is never a wait (Which is SO nice when you're hunting for a breakfast spot in the local area on a weekend!). Midmorning, the whole place begins to smell like fresh baked bread, because they bake all their table loaves on site (Which are delicious, by the way). The menu is huge, the prices are fair and the service, while slow at times, is always SUPER friendly. Our favorite breakfast things on the menu are their skillets, oatmeal (it's creamy and smooth, not steel-cut), and french toast, and they make great soup (we particularly like the egg lemon and the sweet-and-sour cabbage).

• Visited January 2013

Lombard, Illinois
“Worst service ever mediocre food.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

I read 5 star reviews and wonder how in hell this place could be rated 5 stars unless of course your only previous experience with restaurants is fast food like McDonalds and Taco Bell. My wife and I were looking for a place to have lunch today when we stumbled on this quaint Greek dinner . We walked in and waited at the door to be seated. It took about 5 min to get seated and they were not very busy.

Our waitress came over and took our order. I tried the 1/2 a turkey sandwich w/ a bowl of cabbage soup. My wife ordered a burger and fries. I didn't particularly like the cabbage soup which was mediocre at best. So I looked for the nonexistent waitress. Worst service ever. Couldn't find her until she brought out the entree. I explained I didn't care for the soup and asked for a different soup. After my experience with the previous soup, I went for the chicken noodle thinking that one would be hard to mess up.
She brought out the next bowl of soup and never came back to see if I liked it. Which BTW it takes extra effort to mess up chicken noodle but they managed it. This place has the worst service ever. Even heard the (manager?) berating staff about being lazy. My turkey which was fresh ( I was impressed by that) but was dry as the Sahara. I ate almost none of the soup and almost none of the sandwich. No concern was ever expressed. I waited and waited for the waitress so I might try something else but she never came back. My wife's hamburger was good. After we got tired of waiting for our waitress we got up and waited by the nonexistent cashier. Eventually she showed up and took the check.

I called the owner Ray tonight to express my disappointment. I wasn't looking for anything off the bill or anything for free I was honestly trying to give him feed back in hopes of improving things. Silly me, my reaction from the owner and I quote " what do you want me to do now, why didn't you say anything while you were here?" Ok if that's the way it is then I will be more than happy to post this and let others beware of this place.

• Visited December 2012
4 Thank BFBF42
Winfield, Illinois
“Good Eats”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

This is a great restaurant for families. The menu is diverse and very reasonably priced. Everything I have tried on the menu is good, tastes like home cooking. Service is good and always with a smile.

Visited August 2012
Wisconsin
“Never back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

Poor quality food, good service though. I ordered a gyro meal. The meat, which they stated was lamb, looked like it was a cut up canned meat. I won't be back.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Russian28
Winfield, Illinois
“Garden fresh salads”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

The best selection of entree salads in the area. The julienne is my favorite. Couple with their sweet and sour cabbage soup for a full meal. The bread is always hot and fresh. Large breakfast selection also.
Friendly staff and clean facility.

• Visited April 2012