“A few negative issues but great Staff”

Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carol Stream
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We spent a few nights at this Holiday while in the process of relocating to the area. The hotel is located in a industrial park type area and this sort of turned me off as we arrived. Check in was quick but when we got to our room, we immediately noticed that the previous guests smoked quite a bit in the room and this in a smoke free hotel!. We were immediately given another room. The room decor is very tired (especially the carpets)and I was not overly satisfied with the overall condition of the room but my wife and son enjoyed their stay (especially the pool). In all, great staff but as with many Holiday Hotels, they need to maintain some standards when it comes to room decor and condition.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Dansladen
HolidayIllinois, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Thank you for posting your experience at our hotel. I am pleased to hear that our staff took good care of you and your family…..we truly pride ourselves on our customer service. I would like to clarify that we do still offer a limited number of rooms for guests to smoke in, and apologize if you were given any different information. I hope you will visit our hotel, or have friends or family join us now that you have settled into our area. Thank you again for your feedback and praise of the staff.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream

Reviewed 14 August 2011

Upon arrival, typical business travel night, it is late and I was in no mood to negotiate. I was told the room I reserved the hotel didn't have any left so they wanted to put me in a smoking room. I told them no, that isn't going to work. The only other option was a "junior suite" which would cost me $15 more.

The clerk refused to budge on this and while I can go back to the Priceline/Hotwire to demand a refund, I had to pay an upgrade just to get my room. Standard hotel policy would be to walk me to another hotel because they didn't have a room. I chalk it up to poor training by Holiday Inn's corporate folks.

The decor in this hotel is severely dated and the "junior suite" is essentially two standard rooms joined together. The bed sheets were stained, paint was aging and overall just in need of a major renovation.

If you have other options in the area, avoid this hotel - the inconveniences just aren't worth it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank SteakSnob
HolidayIllinois, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

I appreciate your feedback of you stay, and apologize that you had a less than pleasurable experience. Cleanliness is something we take great pride in, and I will pass this review along to the individuals who upkeep our hotel. Regarding your reservation, our staff tries to meet guest’s needs, but some websites do not spell out that “requested items” are not guaranteed. This is something that we just do not have control over. We will fully comply with walk policies like you mentioned, when we do not fulfill the guaranteed reservation elements. I regret that our staff appeared aggressive in trying to meet your needs…
I would be glad to speak with you directly as I do not have all your details of your reservation from just this posting, and would like to see you back with us again. I can be reached at (630)665.3000 ext. 261.

Reviewed 5 August 2011

The pool is indoors, so don’t plan on spending the day here unless you just want to watch TV or drink at the bi-polar Italian restaurant slash Irish bar (located in the same room). My room had a view of the hallway and allowed us to enjoy all the noise of the lobby. We were assigned a smoking room with two double beds, instead of a non-smoking room with a queen size bed. I awoke with clogged sinuses and a church revival the first morning and a jack hammer the second morning. The hallway leading to the smoking room was so permeated with smoke, it may classify as contributing to second-hand smoke inhalation. I turned on the air, but it seemed to draw from the hazy hallway. When I asked what the hotel would do to “make it right”, I was offered a complimentary bottle of luke warm water. Although I found this amusing, I was not amused. The staff was friendly and helpful. The bedding was beautiful (minus the night I enjoyed it infused with smoke). There is nothing to do in the area, but go to the mall or Target, so I hope you are here for a reason. Nevertheless, I am extremely disappointed with the Holiday Inn and I will not be” hanging with my hommies” at this Holiday Inn again

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Acrosstheshiningsea
HolidayIllinois, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2011

I appreciate your feedback as it can only help us improve. I do apologize that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. It appears that while our staff was helpful and friendly, we fell short due to our redecorating efforts and that your room requests were not able to be met. (Hard as we try, we cannot always meet requests on room preferences that are not actually booked on the reservation) I welcome the opportunity to discuss any concerns with you directly and retain you as our customer. I can be reached at (630)665-3000 ex 261. Thank you again.

Reviewed 19 July 2011

Probably the nicest hotel in the city of Carol Stream. Great buffet on the weekend. Clean, comfortable and competent front desk staff. I loved their gym which was located in a medium-sized room with a TV, water, towels etc. I was able to use the treadmill without a wait. Lots of familes were in the indoor pool and jacuzzi. I stayed over the Memorial Day weekend and it was pretty busy there. I loved the fact that the pool was indoors. It wasn't too noisy except for some older guests shouting out to each other in the morning. I would stay here again. No doubt.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
HolidayIllinois, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2011

It is always great to hear that we have met the expectations of our guests. I appreciate your detailed review of your stay with us and we look forward to your return. Thank you for your kind words, as well as for choosing our hotel.

(Also, great room tip you passed along for your fellow travelers who may be light sleepers.)

Reviewed 12 July 2011

My wife and I were both here for five days on business. I understand that being a Holiday Inn may mean low expectations, but I'm fairly dissapointed in a couple of areas. for one thing the day we arrived, there was no shuttle bus. The next evening we needed a ride to the train station and the driver had called off. I asked for a ride to the mall the followng day and finally got one. As a published amenity on their site, it was spotty at best.

I finally got a day with no work and was kept awake by some sort of pounding all day. I finally gave in and went down to the pool to get in the hot tub and it was closed! I went to the bar and put a beer on my room tab and was chased out of the bar by the bartender who told me I had to pay cash. We definately put a card down for incidentals.

I travel a lot and im pretty understanding when theres a hiccup, but this was a chronically poor experience from start to finish.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
HolidayIllinois, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2011

Thank you for completing a review of your recent stay with us. It appears that we have missed a few opportunities to shine during your visit and for that I apologize. Our goal is to always exceed our guest’s expectations and usually seem to do a good job with that. If you have an opportunity, may I ask you to please contact me directly at the hotel so I can clarify some of your concerns and see how I can improve on this in the future? I can be reached at (630)665-3000 ext. 261. Again, I appreciate your candid feedback and look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed 5 July 2011

We stayed here for one night. This was a normal Holiday Inn. There was no complimentary breakfast. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were perfect. The pool looked nice but we didn't swim. The room was clean and comfortable. The biggest problem which dropped this review down to a rating of only 3 was the air conditioning. We like the room on the cool side to sleep. We set the thermostat at 68 degrees (which was as low as it would go) and then went to bed. Four times during the night, I got up because I felt like I was suffocating. The temperature in the room was at 75 degrees each time. I'm not sure why the air didn't kick on. I probably should have complained but the night was over and we weren't staying again. So if you like a cool room to sleep in, you might not get it here.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
HolidayIllinois, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2011

I am pleased to hear how “clean & comfortable” your room was, specifically the bed & pillows. It is encouraging to hear that we are meeting the high standard set for Holiday Inn Hotels. Please know that even though a complimentary breakfast is not included with all rooms, we do offer several packages that have breakfast or other options available.

I would like to apologize to you for the difficulties you had with the air conditioning unit and that it did not respond properly when you tried to operate it. As you mentioned, notifying our staff of your situation during your stay (even in the middle of the night) may have allowed us to fix the problem while you were here.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Carol Stream. I hope we will see you again on a future trip through our area.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Room and bed was very comfortable and clean. No bed bugs. Stayed only one night using several rooms with several family members. Enjoyed our stay there, nothing to really complain about.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
HolidayIllinois, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

I am glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully we will have an opportunity to have you stay with us again. Thank you for your business.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carol Stream
Hampton Inn Chicago-Carol Stream
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Lombard
Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove
Residence Inn Chicago Bloomingdale
Ramada Glendale Heights Addison Area
Ramada Glendale Heights Addison ...
#1 of 1 in Glendale Heights
Sheraton Lisle Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream? Share your experiences!