“Not a pleasant stay”

Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carol Stream
Reviewed 8 June 2008

The visit started off on a negative...the desk clerk told me to park by the door nearest my room. Turned out no spaces (6pm) anywhere near, due to the banquet facility and restaurant being on the same side of the building. I assumed I was getting a decent room, from my Priority Club membership, but was surprised by the request to see my AARP card...I think the first hotel in years to ask to actually see it.
The night was humid and possibly that contributed to a 'sewer gas' odor in the room. I was awakened about 3:30 in the morning by someone 'screaming' into a telephone (probably) above me, which continued for about a half hour, enough that I couldn't sleep again. I walked around to verify the source of the voice, and found a fresh graveled 'trench' running from under my room through the parking lot. I assume that was the possible source of the smell. I was in room 137, and I would advise against staying in that wing of the hotel. It is also just a few steps from the pool.
The hotel is obviously a remodeled old Holiday Inn, typical of trying to put a new face on a worn out facility.
Like some other writeups, I had trouble finding the bartender in the bar (two different times in the same evening), and she had a bit of an attitude when she did come back. Others were waiting on her also. I just left after one drink.
About 1-2 miles north of the hotel are a lot of chain restaurants and shopping. Otherwise, the White Castle is the most notable restaurant nearby. Next time I will try the Hampton Inn, just across North Avenue from this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
HolidayIllinois, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2008

I would like to first apologize for your experiences during your recent stay with us. Excellent customer service is our top priority. Thank you for taking the time to share your areas of concern so we can address them and ensure you and other guests do not have similar experiences. I encourage you and all other traveler to notify the front desk, or ask to speak with the Manager-on-duty whenever concerns arise. That way, we have an opportunity to correct the situation immediately for you to ensure you enjoy your visit. Our hotel has recently gone through an extensive redecoration and is currently ranked the #2 Holiday Inn in the Chicagoland area in overall customer satisfaction, so even thought there may be an occasional guest concern, we make sure we resolve the issue immediately.
Again, thank you for your comments, and I hope you will try us again.
Peter Pell / General Manager

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream

Reviewed 1 April 2008

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites from 3/27 - 3/30. The hotel seems like it was recently updated (within maybe the last year or so). Our room was a "two room suite" with a king size bed and a pull out couch. It included a small kitchenette area with a refrigerator/freezer, microwave and sink. Our room was cleaned daily and the staff was friendly and polite. We had dinner one night down in the bar area and the food was pretty good. We did have some problems with our toilet toward the end of the trip, but no big deal. Overall it was a good stay.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 January 2008

I stayed here 5 times during the summer of 2007 while in the area on business. I was working night shift so I had to sleep during the daytime. The hotel staff was courteous and did the housekeeping tasks around my sleep schedule. Although I stayed here numerous times and am a Priority Club Platinum member, not once did I get offered a room upgrade.

The rooms are standard Holiday Inn quality, and were kept quite clean. There was a problem with the exit door leading to the parking lot near my room. Basically, it would not unlock when someone from the inside approached it unless you walked up at a specific angle. This remained unfixed during all of my stays, and would be very dangerous in a fire situation.

I ate in the restraunt one night and the service was very slow despite being nearly empty of customers, but the food was good. The large pool area looks clean and inviting for families, although I didn't try it out. There are not many restaurants nearby (White Castle is right next door), but a couple of miles north you have numerous options.

I'd probably stay here again when I return to the area in the future.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank BlastChamber
Reviewed 15 November 2007

Was in town on business and had a discount here. The front desk staff were pleasant and I was pleasantly surprised to see a plasma tv in my room... no HDTV though ( kind of a bummer.) The only down fall was the bar staff. I went in to get my complimentry drink and some late night, after flight food and the bartender was quite rude.

Other than that one bad experience it was a nice and clean hotel.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank travelingguy01
Reviewed 16 May 2007

We have stayed at this hotel a few times when we are in the area visiting family. It is clean and the staff is efficient and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2007

I stayed here with my wife and two young kids (1 and 3) and we had a good time. We were looking for something outside Chicago but close enough to drive in for the day. While the hotel is all of 25 miles from the loop, it's a good 45+ minute drive in and out of Chicago. So, keep that in mind. Also, have some change for the tollways too!

The Holiday Inn was remodeled last year and the lobby, common areas, and our room looked very good. The pictures from their website are completly accurate. We had a two room suite and it was comfortable, clean, and overall in good shape. It had all the ammenities we needed: fridge, microwave, limited dishes and silverware, etc.

We used the pool and found it also to be clean, well maintained and had no issues there except maybe the size of the towels available pool side. It's a good size pool for the hotel and while we were there, was never crowded.

We visited the restaurant for breakfast and dinners just about everyday over the four days we stayed there. Kids eat free, and the breakfast buffett is pretty good. They had made to order omlets which were very good. If you're an 'egg white' only egg eater, no problem. My wife is, and they made her an 'egg white only omlet' without any issues. If I had anything negative to add, the dinner service was a little bit lacking: slow to take orders, slow to get us a check, slow to get the check paid. It didn't stop us from going back anyway.

Overall, no surprises. Their website is just about a spot on representation of the hotel. No issues with service, ammenities, or the room. We got exactly what we wanted.

Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank Michigan_TRV311
Reviewed 15 October 2006

The hotel was nice. We stayed there for a wedding that was in Addision. Very close to several large strip malls- so running to the store for something was easy.
Our room was a 1 room suite that had a mini fridge and sink. Overall the hotel was clean and pleasant. Staff was courteous. The pool was nice and always had people in it. This was not a place (Like most Holiday Inn's) that I would recommend for a romantic getaway, but for most any other reason it would be just fine.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank savecal$
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carol Stream
Hampton Inn Chicago-Carol Stream
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Lombard
Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove
Residence Inn Chicago Bloomingdale
Ramada Glendale Heights Addison Area
Ramada Glendale Heights Addison ...
#1 of 1 in Glendale Heights
Sheraton Lisle Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream? Share your experiences!