“Pretty good food”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Traveling and stopped there for lunch. Good food and lots of it. Would stop again if up this way. The service was quick and the waiter stopped by often

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The ironclad rule of BBQ and Mexican joints is, the worse the place looks on the outside, the better the food is on the inside.

Dos Reales looks like a dump. The food is outstanding.

First off, you'll notice the menu is enormous. It takes some time to sift through all the options. On a friend's recommendation, I got the burrito bravo - just an enormous burrito. You can choose steak or chicken. I ordered steak, but my girlfriend got a taco with the chicken and it was mindblowing. (The chicken is shredded and pulls apart, like what you get out of a slow cooker.)

If I went again, I'd go with chicken for sure.

The house margarita was just so-so. A little too tart for my taste.

Service was excellent, quick and friendly.

And everything is absurdly cheap.

It's a shame they close so early, because this would be amazing hangover food. (Someone needs to throw their hours up on Yelp. The day we called, they closed at 10:30 p.m.)

1  Thank BowmanInc
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have eaten here many times, but our last time I ordered a fried chimichanga and it was apparent that they tried to cook it in lukewarm oil. It was terrible, and my husband got sick from the food. Other times, we have had better results. It has made us try other Mexican restaurants more frequently.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This has been there for a good 20 years or so, and is always reliable. Huge portions for not much money. If you don't order beers, you can eat for under $10/person. A 32 oz. Dos Equis on tap is only $3.99 9no, that was not a mistake on the bill), so even with beer, our entire dinner bill for two wasn't much over $20. This place is very popular whenever there's an event at UIUC. This time, we stopped in for an early dinner during our long road trip back home, so it wasn't crowded. Service has always been very efficient; we were back on the road within an hour. I think it's family owned and run. Rosa has been our waitress on more than one occasion.

Used to live in Champaign, and this was always our favorite Mexican restaurant -- much better than any of the chains that claim to have Mexican fare. The chiles rellenos are wonderful, as is everything else I've ever ordered. If your dish comes with beans, they will be refried, rather than whole black or pinto beans. It's absolutely worth eating here if you pass through town and want to stop for lunch or dinner. It's just a few blocks South of I-74, on N. Prospect.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

The service was AMAZING and the place was very busy!! The waitstaff did such a great job with all the customers! They kept the drinks coming and checked on us often. The food was so good, one of the best Mexican restaurants I have eaten at! We both loved what we had and enjoyed the atmosphere a lot!