“Excellent staff and atmosphere”

I Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I have stayed at my fair share of hotels while traveling for work and this is one of my favorites. The staff in each department are so friendly, attentive, and courteous and they always have the biggest smiles! The hotel is stylish and it feels like home. Everyone slept great as we were all well rested in the morning. I recommend this hotel for business and/or pleasure since it's in a great location. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Booked here without reading reviews and once settled in checked in TA and was very surprised to see the high ratings, here is my review

Public areas, very nice and quite stylish, bar restaurant food was ok but service was really inattentive, lots of staff floating about but took a manager to ask if we had been served, no we've been ignored by all the milling staff so far ......

Basics here are done quite well, bed comfy, wifi good, but shower seemed to have two settings, either too hot or too cold.

Room is just odd, seems to be trying too hard to be stylish but really badly finished, all electrical fittings are at odd angles and switches in odd places, difficult to turn lights off from bed for instance. Bathroom feels clinical due to subway tiles and excess stainless handles (4 in bath) for some reason and no soft furnishings. Closet has a waste height shelf meaning clothes rack is at floor level and you have to get to the safe on your knees. You step out of the shower and have to walk across the hall to the strange shelf just to get a towel, all a bit bizarre.

The thing that really made me smile was the typical 'we are committed to the environment' note when the hotel has an open gas flame at the entrance ..... Many other hotels have the sign to save laundry costs but I've never seen a hotel so blatantly saying one thing and doing another.

Really wasn't impressed with this place all in all, undeserving and pretty average currently.

Rob

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank OmanRob
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay here on the recommendation of family who live close by who we were visiting. Chic feel when we walked in. Manager introduced himself and offered us water which we actually needed. Easy check in. Got coupons for some thing from their "I-cafe" for the morning which was nice. Room also has chic feel and was nice. Comfy bed and cool glass door for shower. We liked the room had a fridge which we needed for the infants milk. Used the gym which was basic but exactly what I needed with decent equipment. Also nice little touch having several papers available for free at front desk each day. Ate breakfast at houilhans (restaurant on site) only $8.98 on weekends and was good for what we needed. Easy check out. Great value and would definitely come back.

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I recently toured the Midwest with my son on a college tour trip. We were originally scheduled to stay in Madison, WI, but realized that our college tour for U of I was early the next morning. I jumped on my computer and found this gem of a hotel. We were pleasantly surprised by this gem of a hotel in the middle of Urbana-Champaign. It was sleek and modern. Service was excellent. They had a free shuttle to U of I which made it very convenient. If my son is lucky enough to get into U of I, this will definitely be my go to hotel!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

When I stepped into the hotel I felt like I was in an ultra, modern hip boutique European hotel. The front desk staff was excellent. I really appreciated the bottle of water.

I stayed in Room 505. The room had a beautiful decor with attention to detail. The bathroom and the toiletries were awesome. I was tempted on impulse to buy the bedding.

I would drive from Chicago just to stay in this hotel!

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 23 October 2013

On trip to Wisconsin I looked for very nice Hotels so my wife would be happy. On the way to I-Hotel we had to drive thru down town. Wife wondered why I booked hotel downtown, and when hotel ended up being on campus, her thoughts turned to Students staying in hotel with us. Needless to say she was giving me a hard time about my choice. Went into Hotel and she looked around but said nothing. Went into room and she said nothing. After a while, I said, "Not to bad is it?" As much as she did not want to admit it, my choice was good. Being late, we ate in the hotel which was also very nice. Overall the stay was very nice. Priced on higher side. I will say it was the best smelling hotel room I have ever stayed in. None of the musty smell you have in other Hotels. Good place to stay for special occasions!

Room Tip: I stayed on top floor - liked the view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pete S
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Arrived on a Monday afternoon with teenager and small dog. Purpose of trip was tour of University of Illinois next morning. Checking in at front desk was friendly, professional, and when I mentioned reason for visit they advised me that they run free shuttle service to any building at the university! We scheduled my daughter for next day... Nice not to have to deal with university traffic and finding our way. They also advised that they have a water bowl outside for dogs as they return from a walk, nice touch. Note: they also said they hardly ever get a dog staying and we haven't seen one other than ours. I mention that so you don't think there are dogs all over this hotel. Not the case. After checking in we walked late afternoon over to the university and all around. If the weather is nice this is a great option. The restaurant is attached to hotel and nice option if tired, have kids, traveling alone, or take out up to room. It was okay... service was polite but not real efficient (they messed up on order twice), food was very good but just warm, not hot. They do have a menu of glutten free options which I appreciated. Starbucks in hotel is excellent! Great service, nice breakfast options, and they do have beer and wine in bottles if doing take out in room from restaurant. They are open all day closing at 7pm. Hotel is spotlessly clean! Everywhere!!!! Bed one of the best in a hotel I have found with tons of pillows. Cheers to all staff at this hotel!!! You all "get it!"

Room Tip: Ice machine on 2nd and 4th floors. View from 3rd was nice as just top of tree with fall leaves showi...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mary P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
#2 of 25 in Champaign
Hilton Garden Inn Champaign/ Urbana
Homewood Suites by Hilton Champaign-Urbana
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Champaign North, IL
Drury Inn & Suites Champaign
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area

Been to I Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!