“Excellent hotel stay while visiting University of Illinois”

I Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have stayed in this hotel numerous times since it was built. The staff is always courteous and helpful. The rooms are always clean. There is ample parking. It has a nice fitness room for a hotel of this size. It is very close to Assembly Hall and Memorial Stadium. They provide shuttle service to campus, but it is a very nice and relatively short walk to campus so the shuttle is not really necessary.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Karen K
There are newer reviews for I Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed here during a recent work trip to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and really enjoyed my time at the hotel. It's a nice modern hotel right next to campus. The staff is really courteous and professional, checking us in quickly and giving us a bottle of water, which was much appreciated after the long trip to Illinois. The rooms are about average size but very clean with a nice modern style, and with a really fresh scent, as if they thorough shampoo the carpets every day. Starbucks is within the hotel near the lobby and you get a free coffee and breakfast sandwich to redeem there with your stay at the hotel. There is also the restaurant Houlahan's that's connected to the hotel which is a solid spot for dinner. The price is also very reasonable. I'd highly recommend staying here if you have to stay somewhere near the University.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The room was very clean and quiet. Important to us. However, the 2 queen beds in our room had very soft and uncomfortable mattresses even though they were pretty new. Also, the security latch on the door was not operable because it was installed before a wall was put up that prevented it from moving. TV did not work as well.

Location is ideal for those who want to be near the campus but in a quiet area tucked away from the craziness of a campus.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hans M
Hope H, Public Relations Manager at I Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

NordDivision,

We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations at our property. We will review all of the outlined concerns with the room and make the necessary changes.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed there this weekend I thought it was a lovely hotel. Small but sufficient. The added amenities in the room were nice. There were robes in the room for free use, there was a privacy screen on the window that let light in with privacy, modern clean decor, and nice toiletries in the bathroom. Starbucks coffee was available in the room and a cafe and Houlahans on the premises. We received a complementary coffee and breakfast sandwich with the price of the room for each night. A very nice choice whether you are visiting the campus or just in town. Check it out.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The hotel was very convenient for a week long SEI 2014 workshop! They offered an amazing shuttle service to get you around campus or back to your hotel. I never had to wait more than 15 minutes for the shuttle. All the drivers and staff were very friendly and nice to talk to. The gym was small but clean with a nice array of workout options. The rooms were nicely set up and very clean. The room had a great desk set up and I used it nightly to get my work done. The bed was very comfortable and I slept soundly. The breakfast option was just coffee bar pastries and sandwiches. I wish Houlihan's next door would open for breakfast. The lunch and dinner at Houlihan's was great and very convenient. All-in-all I highly recommend this hotel if you are ever in the Champaign-Urbana area!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I had a lovely time at this hotel while on the UI campus for a conference. As others have noted, rooms are spacious and amenities are plentiful, including robes, coffee, high-end toiletries, and a current issue of Wine Spectator. The hotel is a cool and calm oasis. I loved the modern decor in the room and in the lobby. Hotel seems to be staffed entirely by cheerful blonde students. Be warned that the hotel is, however, about a mile from the center of campus - there is a shuttle, or it is a (pleasant) 30-40 minute walk. I've stayed in 6 hotels for business travel over the past 2 weeks (whew), but this hotel will forever stand out for me due to an odd service error at the end of my stay. When I checked out, I was told my bill had been paid by the university (which was a pleasant surprise, but I assumed it was because I had been a speaker at the conference). Two weeks later I received frantic phone calls from the staff to the effect that they had made an error and my credit card would, in fact, be charged for my stay. I was disgruntled about the way this was handled, and I posted about it in my earlier review on TripAdvisor. Imagine my astonishment when, within less than 24 hours, the PR person and the general manager of the hotel contacted me to apologize for the misunderstanding, and they comped my entire stay. This was above & beyond anything I expected, and I really appreciate it. So I'd say there may be bumps in the road here, but overall their staff are clearly trying very hard to provide excellent and professional service. In my case, they succeeded, and I can confidently recommend this hotel (as well as TripAdvisor!) to my friends and colleagues. It's so nice to be appreciated as a traveler - it makes all the difference in the world.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RachelR
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My son and I stayed one night for his registration at U of I. The staff was welcoming and checking in was really quick. The room was decorated in a sleek modern manner, and the toiletries were lovely. I would have loved a channel guide for the TV and information about how to get ice. There was no ice machine in the hall. I don't know if I need to request ice--it was too late at night to do that though. The hotel guide needed an entry on ice. The breakfast system was great--at the cafe each guest received a drink and either a breakfast sandwich or pastry. The hotel bus took us to the campus for registration. Over many years of being an U of I alum and parent, we have stayed at many local hotels. We had never been able to get into this one because we always seem to come on busy weekends. Finally, there was a vacancy, and it definitely lived up to my expectations. Relative to other hotels and their rates, I felt that the rates here were really reasonable. The location--next to the State Farm Center and really close to Memorial Stadium was exactly where we would want to be.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
#3 of 25 in Champaign
Homewood Suites by Hilton Champaign-Urbana
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Champaign
Hilton Garden Inn Champaign/ Urbana
Drury Inn & Suites Champaign
Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana

Been to I Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!