“Great Stay for Campus Visit...but”

I Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Denver, Colorado
“Great Stay for Campus Visit...but”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed for one night on a college campus tour with my son. Excellent location, easy access to campus, and, free parking. Beautiful common areas and ultra-modern sophisticated lobby. Helpful, courteous front desk staff. Check-in and check-out was a breeze. Quiet modern room for a cool and comfortable night's sleep. Very clean, fresh bedding. Good bathroom with fine toiletries.

Everything was great at the Hotel...except...the restaurants associated with the center. Breakfast voucher at Starbucks was a nice touch, and maybe it was just a fluke, but, my panini was tasteless and skimpy on ingredients compared to off-site Starbucks. And, the service at Houlihans, on a slow night, was so bad, we left after 20 minutes without ever having our order taken. We would definitely recommend the I Hotel, just skip the restaurants, and go into town for better dining options.

Room Tip: They probably all are fine.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hope H, Public Relations Manager at I Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Cynthia,
Thank you for your feedback, we are happy to hear you enjoyed the I Hotel and Conference Center. Your comments regarding your service are very important to us. We want our customers to enjoy their entire stay at the I Hotel and Conference Center including our adjoining restaurant, so your report of a poor customer experience is of serious concern for us. Please let us express our deepest apologies. You deserve only the best service when you visit our property. We will review your concerns and will take appropriate actions. Upon your next visit, please ask don't hesitate to speak with the management team when we do not meet your expectations. Our goal is to always exceed your expectations, so thank you again for your feedback and safe future travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Korean first
New Haven
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a July 4 visit with family. The hotel is modern, beautiful, and convenient. I had two nights of the best sleep I've had in months. Why? It's the little things: a great bed; good pillows and linens; AC that cools the room sufficiently and has a fan that stays ON, so you're not awoken by the thing cycling on and off; quiet; and shades that darken the room completely. Plus, it was not super expensive and our breakfast one morning was included. I recommend this place strongly and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank JennyGB
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 June 2014

...with the previous reviews--this is a wonderful oasis in the CU area. Modern design, very clean, comfortable beds. The location is nice; it was good to get away from that hotel mess north of I-74. I could see the Assembly Hall out my window and they have a green roof (LEED hotel?) There's a lovely area outside with nice patio furniture and a fountain. The fitness center had a cooler with little bottles of water. They offer 4 different newspapers in the morning, Starbucks coffee in the room, and Rusk toiletries. There are a half dozen books in the room to read,and a Wine Spectator magazine, too. The lobby has a chess set out. All these little touches add up to a superior experience.

Also, a shout out to Gabe who helped me with a room rate question, cheerfully and helpfully.

1 Thank adanna814
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have stayed in this hotel numerous times since it was built. The staff is always courteous and helpful. The rooms are always clean. There is ample parking. It has a nice fitness room for a hotel of this size. It is very close to Assembly Hall and Memorial Stadium. They provide shuttle service to campus, but it is a very nice and relatively short walk to campus so the shuttle is not really necessary.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen K
Oakland, California
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed here during a recent work trip to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and really enjoyed my time at the hotel. It's a nice modern hotel right next to campus. The staff is really courteous and professional, checking us in quickly and giving us a bottle of water, which was much appreciated after the long trip to Illinois. The rooms are about average size but very clean with a nice modern style, and with a really fresh scent, as if they thorough shampoo the carpets every day. Starbucks is within the hotel near the lobby and you get a free coffee and breakfast sandwich to redeem there with your stay at the hotel. There is also the restaurant Houlahan's that's connected to the hotel which is a solid spot for dinner. The price is also very reasonable. I'd highly recommend staying here if you have to stay somewhere near the University.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Niles, Illinois
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The room was very clean and quiet. Important to us. However, the 2 queen beds in our room had very soft and uncomfortable mattresses even though they were pretty new. Also, the security latch on the door was not operable because it was installed before a wall was put up that prevented it from moving. TV did not work as well.

Location is ideal for those who want to be near the campus but in a quiet area tucked away from the craziness of a campus.

1 Thank Hans M
Hope H, Public Relations Manager at I Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
NordDivision,

We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations at our property. We will review all of the outlined concerns with the room and make the necessary changes.
Chicago
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed there this weekend I thought it was a lovely hotel. Small but sufficient. The added amenities in the room were nice. There were robes in the room for free use, there was a privacy screen on the window that let light in with privacy, modern clean decor, and nice toiletries in the bathroom. Starbucks coffee was available in the room and a cafe and Houlahans on the premises. We received a complementary coffee and breakfast sandwich with the price of the room for each night. A very nice choice whether you are visiting the campus or just in town. Check it out.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
#2 of 25 in Champaign
Homewood Suites by Hilton Champaign-Urbana
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Champaign
Hilton Garden Inn Champaign/ Urbana
TownePlace Suites Champaign Urbana/Campustown
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area

Been to I Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!