“Jarlings is heaven!”

Ranked #1 of 11 Dessert in Champaign
Price range: US$2 - US$6
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Description: Custard Cup was first started in 1949. It was originally opened by George and Helen Potter at 2507 N. Vermilion St. in Danville, IL. There they started selling the Custard that Mr. Potter had developed a recipe for. Business started slow, and it was not uncommon to see George and Helen sitting out back playing cards while they waited for customers to come in. The Potter’s also created our signature Cold Fudge, to solve the problem of Custard melting when hot fudge was put on it. They owned the business for 20 years and then decided that they were ready to retire. The Potter’s had no children, so they sold “The Cup” to the Wilmer and Dorotha Jarling in 1969.Mr. and Mrs. Jarling watched as the number of customers grew, after school, after church on Sundays, and on the weekends it started turning into “the place” to go on a weekend night for a treat. As it grew, the Jarling’s made some changes to the business, such as adding cash registers and an extra two windows in 1980.Another change the Jarling’s made to the business was expanding the menu. Originally only three flavors of custard were available; Vanilla, Chocolate, and Lemon. Strawberry was added, and later so was Orange. They sold the classic soda shop favorites like Sundaes, Old Fashioned Sodas, Shakes and Malts. Also other menu items began to develop, such as Banana Splits, and Custard Sandwiches.Wilmer and Dorotha Jarling retired in the early 1980’s to have time to enjoy hobbies and travel. After a two year battle with cancer, Dorotha Jarling passed away in 1995. Wilmer Jarling passed on in 2002 at age 85. The Danville Custard Cup is now owned by their children; Doug Jarling, Larry Jarling, Nancy Smart, and grandchild Rodney Smart. On April 28, 1983 Jarling’s Custard Cup opened its doors at 309 W. Kirby Ave. in Champaign. It was opened by Doug and Christy Jarling, who had worked and helped to manage the Danville store for several years. The Champaign location featured the same products as the Danville store, as well as new creations like frozen pies, and The Snowstorm. In 1993, Doug and Christy Jarling purchased the secret recipe from Wilmer and Dorotha. Since then both locations have continued to change their menus slightly, keeping the favorite treats and working to add new creations from what they've heard from their customers.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Their lemon custard is divine! A creamy custard with notes of flavorful lemon . A worthwhile indulgence.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I take Jarlings for granted being a local but if you are just visiting the Champaign area and want some ice cream try Jarlings. They do not have hot fudge but the cold fudge is amazing and a favorite of mine. Prepare to wait the lines are usually long but move quickly. I recently discovered the Jarling's cakes and they are also delicious and a nice break from baking or a traditional cake.
Enjoy!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Visited here with my daughter and her friends on a very busy summer Saturday night. After figuring out how the 3 lines to the windows worked, found out the wait was well worth the time it took. We all chose a different treat, and we each enjoyed our selection. Actually, standing in line gave us time to read the menu and change our minds several times as to what we wanted before we got to the window to order. Will return!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I love custard of all kinds and, especially, frozen custard. I will go out of my way for a good custard treat. Fortunately, during my recent stay in Champaign, I did not have to travel far to find this gem. The Jarling Custard Cup was within walking distance of our hotel, but I didn't know about its fame until Friday night, when it was extremely crowded. I only had to wait 10 minutes, though, to get a small cup of chocolate and vanilla. If I had to compare it to other frozen custards I've had (Culver's, etc.), I'd say this one is the best. Can't wait for another trip to this neck of the woods so I can have some more.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

It's a frosty treat that's like ice cream but... creamier?

There are approximately two billion ways to make a "snowstorm" (just like a Dairy Queen blizzard). I was advised the lemon version was incredible, but when I ordered it, they were out of lemon. Curse you, Custard Gods!

I went with a mint chocolate chip snowstorm and it was the perfect treat.

Please question the sanity of anyone who doesn't enjoy the hell out of this cool throwback treat shack.

1  Thank BowmanInc