“Make a special weekend exceptional!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Avenue Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Champaign
The Avenue Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 7 Champaign B&B and Inns
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Make a special weekend exceptional!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stayed at The Avenue for graduation weekend at the university, and though we are proud of our new alum, the highlight of the weekend was our experience with Paul and Catherine. They made a special weekend worry-free, providing scrumptious breakfasts, everything necessary for our impromptu champagne and cheese hour, directions to locales, etc. The topper was the amazing barbecue dinner they prepared and served for this special occasion. Not only was the food amazing (so many delicious options, and so much of it fresh and locally sourced), it was relaxing not to have to drive to a busy restaurant but instead have all our needs met right there. I wish we had discovered this fine option when our son started school!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank foodtravelers_10

Mt. Vernon, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2010

It was quite by accident that we stayed at The Avenue for U of I Dad's Weekend Nov. 12-14, 2010. After not finding availability in any of the hotels, I looked at B & B's as an alternative. The Avenue's website was very enticing and they just happened to have the perfect accommodations for my husband and I and our 16 year old son. We were totally blown away by the whole experience. The Avenue is a beautiful home in a beautiful neighborhood. My husband and I had the King Suite and our son was in the Maid's Suite. It was the first time I have every slept well away from home. The beds were so comfortable and everything was extremely clean which I am a bit fanatical about when traveling. The heated floor in the bathroom of the king suite was a wonderful surprise as it turned cold while we were there. My 16 year old son thought he was in heaven with his own room and the snack closet on the 2nd floor being accessible 24/7 only confirmed it. Breakfast was exquisite both mornings. And the second morning, Catherine - the owner, was totally willing for us to add our U of I daughter to the breakfast count (we did ask the day before so she had some notice but not much). The large living area was beautiful but also extremely cozy with a real wood fireplace always burning. This was our second stay at a B & B and our son's first but we are definitely sold on the B & B experience. Now we're just afraid that no other B & B will compare to The Avenue. My guess is that it is rare to find a B & B that is also owned by a professional chef/gourmet cook. A tray of homemade treats that was out during the day and a treat bag of homemade chocolate chip cookies for the road upon our departure was just more of the hospitality that we grew accustomed to over the weekend. I just can't say enough about our first rate experience at The Avenue. We already have our reservations made for Mom's Weekend 2011! Oh, and without going into detail, one other interesting facet of The Avenue that is very unique - "Clocks" . If you want to know more about that, you just need to see for yourself!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank hardt0pleasetraveler
Paris, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2009

I have stayed at The Avenue twice, most recently for a Christnmas shopping weekend/short getaway with my husband. The Avenue Is an excellent place to stay. Paul and Catherine have every detail of your stay covered. From the absolutely wonderful breakfast to the snack left for us in the evening to the wonderful room and atmosphere. Their home is beautiful yet warm and cozy. They are both very gracious hosts. My husband I have decided to make this and annual weekend staying at The Avenue. Thank you so much

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 5potters4fun
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2009

I recently planned a romantic weekend in Champaign to propose to my girlfriend. Everything went flawless. The Avenue was the icing on the cake! Paul and Catherine are phenominal hosts and have a cozy, beautiful home. Breakfast was outstanding and included local produce with farm fresh eggs and meats. Catherine makes the best quiche I've ever tasted. The Brewers have definately outdone themselves. I would recommend The Avenue to anyone!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ankjones
Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2009

The Avenue B & B is perfect because it's:
(1) Located in a beautiful residential neighborhood but not far from downtown
(2) The rooms are beautifully decorated with antiques but not so fancy that you're afraid to touch anything. 3 suites on the 2nd floor, 1 on the 3rd. The rooms are large and since the house is so well built, no worries the walls are too thin. A closet stocked with a wide array of complimentary drinks and snacks is a welcome and appreciated amenity.
(3) The decor is not frilly, a definite B & B turnoff to me
(4) The owners Paul and Catherine are extremely gracious and thoughtful. The perfect hosts. You feel like you're staying with friends who have a great house and they go out of their way to assist you.
(5) Breakfast is incredible! A different quiche every morning, accompanied by homemade french toast or pancakes and preserves, breakfast meats and fruit.
(6) Why stay at a generic hotel or motel when you can stay here?

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank MollyPumpkinT
Wilkinson, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2009

This B&B is definitely the only place to stay in Champaign, IL. The hosts, Paul and Catherine, are lovely, generous people who obviously enjoy their work. I asked for a low carb menu and an early breakfast (my meeting started at 8 a.m.) and they accomodated me in style. The crustless quiche was wonderful, and accompanied by the best fruit plate I have ever eaten (pineapple, blueberries, plums and white peaches!). They grow their own herbs and vegetables, and use local suppliers for as much as possible, and the freshness is reflected in the wonderful tastes and aromas. I can also second the previous reviewer concerning the bacon! I had the Maid's room for 2 nights, and it was very comfortable, well-decorated and very quiet. I got a chance to look at the other rooms, and will definitely be going back for a romantic weekend with my husband in the Queen's room! What a tub! I was tempted to keep this gem to myself, but these hosts deserve to enjoy every success, and I hope they remain open for a long, long time.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank HomebodyMI
Springfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2008

We have discovered paradise in Urbana-Champaign... I was ready to give up on B&Bs from my last experience in Virginia, but decided to give it one more try.
My wife booked The Avenue so we could enjoy her alma mater's homecoming (U of I, Urbana-Champagne) and have a nice weekend away. It exceeded all expectations!!
Catherine and Paul have done an absolutely incredible job of creating one of the most cozy, friendly, tasty, relaxing refuges I have ever experienced. From our Friday afternoon check-in to our Monday morning departure absolutely everything was perfect.
Paul and Catherine are extremely enjoyable to talk with and absolutely understand customer service and how to make guests feel at home. Each morning Catherine made a spectacular breakfast, including unbelievable fresh fruit, the best bacon I've ever had (and it's from a local farm), banana and ricotta cheese pancakes (I inhaled all I could and there were plenty more left), and a variety of dishes made with eggs (also locally acquired). Sunday brunch was quite simply - WOW!!! My wife's family was also in town for the game and rather than take everyone to a restaurant, we asked Paul and Catherine if they could provide brunch for four extra people. Not only did they accomodate the request with the best brunch I've ever had (not enough room to tell you about the pumpkin cheesecake and fresh whipped cream, homemade muffins and mimosas - hence the review title), it was very, very reasonably priced and WAY better than any restaurant we would have found.
Our room (Maid's room, I believe) was roomy, immaculate and extremely relaxing. The claw foot tub was a nice touch and we never heard any other guests.
Back on customer service, when we tried to coordinate all the family members getting to the university football stadium, Paul and Catherine offered to drive us to the game so we wouldn't have to find parking. They also offered to pick us up after the game with a phone call when we were ready.
I cannot say enough great things about The Avenue. Based on our experience, we have decided to make the homecoming game a regular trip and will ONLY stay at The Avenue.

• Liked — The friendliness of the owners
  • Disliked — I hated leaving.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank bdaneb