“Decent food, beware of the wait”
Review of zyggyz - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
zyggyz
Cuisines: Indian
Champaign
“Decent food, beware of the wait”
Reviewed 6 February 2010

FOOD:
I have been to zyggyz a couple of times, the food is decent and competitively priced. I would recommend the paneer or lamb zyggy roll and masala fries. One zyggy roll is sufficient if you are only a little hungry but if you are ravenous after a long day I would recommend the 2 zyggy roll and the drink special they have. The combo plates are okay too. The food is okay but there really isn't a lot of competition for indian food on campus.
The service you receive depends on the day you go there but ALWAYS expect a wait for your food (since they cook it when you order it but they really should not advertise themselves as a fast indian food place).
SERVICE:
I have had some good and bad experiences with the people behind the counter. Sometimes they are just very rude and don't seem to pay any attention to the customers standing their waiting to order. Once they didn't even respond to my questions about my food even though I had been waiting there for almost 45minutes. Some of them are just really slow to take orders or to make them and are too busy checking their phones and are too busy just grumbling under their breaths about this and that with no concern of the impression they are leaving on their customers.
On the other hand I have been to Zyggyz for the past two friday nights with a group of friends and the person behind the counter has been really nice. Even though she was running around taking order and calls and making fries etc she was attentive. She talked to the indians in their language, dealt with the drunk and she even helped my friends (first timers) decide what to get. We still had a wait for the food but she came and told us the food was just about done and she kept apologizing for the "delay" and asked us if we found the food okay etc. It was a very pleasant surprise and it is probably the nicest service I have ever received on green street.
I would recommend not making a delivery order for them unless you are prepared to wait. In that case order an an hour or more before you think you are going to get hungry. It is almost easier to just order a pick up.
all in all an okay place, an okay place with the service being spotty but maybe the beers that they have carry will make the wait seem shorter. I had recommend trying Kingfisher or Taj.

Champaign
“Avoid - Horrible”
Reviewed 24 October 2009

I am writing this from the viewpoint of families, and not students - for students, perhaps anything goes. This is a place to be avoided like plague. The cooks (amateur) do not know what Indian food is, use unusually terrible quantities of oil and salt, and the selection is just too messy. This is one more of those horror stories that are mushrooming in every campustown in the guise of Indian food. Avoid.

2 Thank ProfChampaign
Florida
“A Must See”
Reviewed 25 February 2009

Great prices, great people, great food!

Urbana, IL
“Great Indian food bargain”
Reviewed 14 February 2009

Zyggy's serves a small but excellent menu of Indian fast food at bargain prices. My companion and I sampled the lamb wrap ($5, includes drink), potato wrap ($5, includes drink), pav bhaji (Indian mixed veg on bread, $4.25) and hummus ($2.95). All were fresh and spicy goodness, the tastes were familiar from my visits to much more expensive Indian restaurants in town. We spoke to the owner, who tells us they make everything fresh in house, including a special blend of falafel. We will definitely be back to try that out! Service was fast and friendly. A great value overall!