“Stains on sofa matress”

Reviewed 26 July 2014

There are newer reviews for Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Champaign

Reviewed 23 July 2014

1  Thank Robert J
vmadden, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I spent a total of 11 days during July at the Hawthorn due to a training on campus. All I can say is that if my room hadn't been paid for by my work I would have left the first night. The rooms (and I stayed in three during my 11 days) all have a musty smell and the bathroom tubs all have dirt marks on the bottom of them. A few other experiences:

- My first night I noticed my clock wasn't plugged in; something I would easily have done myself except the plug was behind the King sized bed and I couldn't reach it so I left a note asking if housekeeping could. When I got back the clock had been plugged in but the time wasn't right - really? If you're going to go as far as to plug it in maybe put the right time? Then, because I couldn't figure out how to change it, an alarm went off at 3a. Very frustrating.

- In another room a hair was in the back of the shower - not mine. I left it just to see how long it would be before it was found. It was still there when I checked out five days later. Plus the drain was pulled out of where it should be... with whatever was stuck to it showing. Gross.

- Breakfast looked and smelled amazing but it made me sick both times I ate it. Wish I could tell you why.

- Just now when I checked in the girl at the front desk had a very low cut shirt on showing her gems and had her foot on the counter. So not professional. Plus she had to check housekeeping to see if my room was clean which was a 10 min conversation via walkie-talkie while other guests waited in line to check in. It shouldn't take 10 mins to check in a guest and no one wants to see your personal space.

Overall - pay a little more to get a better experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Katy R
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Loved the rooms front desk people excellent on arrival the breakfast service was very good the omelette maker made a very tasty omelette

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham
vmadden, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with our hotel. I am very happy you had such a positive experience with my staff. We have tried to create a friendly and professional staff and I delighted that the effort has paid off. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We have stayed at this hotel several times and have always been very satisfied. Being that it is in a town with a major university (University of Illinois), we found this to be a pleasant stay, somewhat away from the hustle and bustle of the campus but close enough to enjoy its features. The breakfast is an unbelievable buffet of hot and cold items and "made-to-order" omelets. We have yet to find another hotel with that feature.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patty S
vmadden, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

We are very happy you have chosen us for your frequent forays here in Champaign. I am very glad you enjoy staying with us and I hope there will be a long relationship between you and us. Thank you for talking us up here on Trip Advisor. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

room had a strong musty/moldy odor consistently. Air conditioner has mechanical issues where it runs for short bursts constantly - on/off ~ on-off all night. very unsettling and difficult to sleep.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

I apologize that there were issues with the smell in the room. I've been in this business a decade and I have ceased to be surprised by the sheer range of odd smells that crop up in hotels. This attitude does not interfere in my desire to destroy these odors when they appear and I am very sorry we didn't catch this one before you were subjected to it.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The plus sides to the hotel were they very close to the show and the room quality was very comfortable. The down sides there wasn't very good quality dinner places close to the hotel only fast food, and the overall pool area was very run down now pool deck needs a good power washing and the drop down ceiling tiles need to changed out with new ones due water stains on them.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I disagree that there aren't any good restaurants around us. Right behind the hotel is a place called 'The Ribeye' that has been serving excellent stakes and a marvelous salad bar for years. I do admit however, that beyond that we are almost entirely surrounded by fast food. On the other hand, Champaign has some truly excellent food, usually no more than 10-15 minutes away. If I missed a place like 'Black Dog' or 'Ferren's' just because I didn't want to drive a couple miles, I think I'd be kicking myself when I got back home. On the other hand, I realize that after a long hot day sometimes you don't want to go anywhere.