“Great home base”

Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Chicago
“Great home base”
Reviewed 13 July 2009

This hotel exceeded our expectations. We had a two-room king suite. My favorite undocumented features were the overhead light and ceiling fan in the bedroom, the separate thermostats for the bedroom vs. the living room, the tall shower head, the light in the shower, and conveniently located electrical outlets that can be used for ironing (in the bedroom and also in the room's foyer ). These people didn't miss a trick!

The water pressure and temperature in the shower were good. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The wired and wireless Internet were both great. My husband played a game over the wired connection, and I was easily able to surf over the wireless connection. You can also send a print job from your room and enter a code when you reach the business center to start your print job (I didn't test this, but instructions were in the room).

One thing that surprised me was that the vanity was in a good-sized nook next to the closet and not inside the private area of the bathroom. Some light from the vanity area does spill into the bedroom. This isn't ideal if two people are keeping different hours. However, it's a good arrangement when two people are trying to get ready at the same time.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Packs-alot-9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
San Diego
Reviewed 23 June 2009

WOW! This is a great hotel. Several items are critical to me: comfortable beds & pillows, clean rooms, nice & knowledgeable staff. They exceeded in each of these areas, and more.

Location: On the edge of campus. About a mile or so from the cute, revitalized downtown of Champaign. Within walking distance of a yummy frozen custard shop, next door to a 24-hour Walgreens.
Rooms: Spacious. Includes full-sized fridge, microwave, stovetop, sink...wonderful. Climate control is easy to maneuver. Room temp always perfect. Windows could open a few inches to get fresh air.
Bathroom: Great shower! Neutrogena products.
Complimentary Breakfast: assorted hot and cold items. Definitely better than average. Nice-sized dining room with different-sized tables. Several TVs w/news or cartoons:-)

I wish I didn't have any negatives to report, but I do have 2 things:
1) Custodial services for public areas did not keep up with hallways. I always saw dishes, plates, glasses along guest floor hallways...the same dishes, etc for hours and hours. Trash cans outside and in the breakfast area did not get emptied often enough.
2) Parking was a challenge. This hotel is next door to the Hilton Garden Inn and Conference Center. That property hosted several wedding receptions during our stay, making parking very difficult in the evenings.

I will definitely return to this hotel again. I rarely find myself so comfortable at a hotel, and this one was fantastic. And, I can't close my review without complimenting the friendly staff: front desk, breakfast staff, housekeeping. All were wonderful.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Orland Park, Illinois
Reviewed 21 June 2009

Extremely awesome!!! I think that the designers of this hotel did an excellent job! All the materials used are so well put together - impressive! The bed, comforter and pillows are as nice as it gets - bar none! The kitchen in the suite was beautiful - full refrigerator, mini stove, microwave and real dishes, glasses and utensils. I wish my kitchen at home was just like this!!!

The lobby and breakfast areas are beautiful and large. The hot breakfast is very nice and there is plenty of room to enjoy your breakfast without being on top of your neighbor!

My kids said the pool has a bit much chlorine but they enjoyed it anyway. Everything is wonderfully clean and all the workers has smiles and were very pleasant!

Can you tell I enjoyed my stay? Staying at this Homewood Suites is one of the real treats in Champaign. Oh yeah, down the street and around the corner is an old fashioned ice cream custard place called Jarlings. If the weather is warm - treat yourself - my son had a banana split snowstorm and I had a turtle sundae - they were great!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ChicagoLawyerGuy
Odenton, Maryland
Reviewed 17 June 2009

Homewoods are our favorite and we finally got to one on Day 13 of a cross-country road trip. We're a family of 4 on a military move from Alaska to Florida. Our military rate was $109 before taxes, and it once again felt criminally low for what you get here. The hotel's location isn't very convenient to the Interstate if you're just passing through, but it's practically on the UofI campus and it's very close to downtown.

There are plenty of nearby eateries, but it's a Homewood, so you don't really need them! We stayed on a Monday night and it was chicken fajitas. They were delicious and the kids gobbled them up. There was desert, salad, rice, a taco bar, and of course free beer and wine. This location didn't ration the booze and was self service. Breakfast was also great with hot and cold selections, great coffee service, and all kinds of baked goods.

The pool and hot tub were spacious, clean, and nice and included a shower area. The kids were loud but no one could hear it outside the pool area. The fitness center was big enough for 5+ people to use simultaneously. The business center has 2 computers with printers. Our room, a one bedroom, was great. The king bed was comfortable with nice sheets and covers. The pillows were soft and numerous. The TVs were nice LG flat panels with good cable and no "hotel menu" stuff. You can rent new DVDs at the front desk or there are a bunch you can borrow from the business center. The bathroom (which is in the bedroom side of the suite) was standard Homewood (very nice) as was the kitchen. The door between the bedroom and living room was heavy and made both sides feel private.

This hotel in a college town was hosting some summer seminar classes as well as a fire fighter's training session. For how young and fun the clientele looked, it was an extremely quiet evening. The hallways are quiet and the rooms are quiet. I really wish we weren't in such a hurry through town. I give Homewood Champaign my highest recommendation! If you haven't ever stayed at a Homewood, start here!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 May 2009

We stayed at The Champaign-Urbana Homewood Suites during Graduation weekend. Despite the fact that the hotel was full, we had every kindness extended to us. The hotel was very clean. The morning breakfasts were very busy, but staff was continually replenishing the buffet and we never had trouble finding seating, even though we had a lot of family staying there. My son was commissioned into the Navy that same weekend, so we had a big group. Two of our rooms were adjoining, and this was perfect for gathering in between the scheduled ceremonies and events. We were so busy, but my mother-in-law liked to sit in the beautiful lobby and read during her downtime, my sister and nephew liked the pool, and many used the business center to stay connected to their email and fantasy sports teams! Both my sister and I left clothes in our rooms by mistake when we checked out, and the hotel staff was super-helpful in getting our belongings back to us. If I am ever in Champaign again, I will definitely stay here! Thank you Amanda, Melinda, Kiya, Rahsima, and everyone at the Homewood Suites in Champaign!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 29 April 2009

I really enjoyed my stay here. The rooms are fantastic. Breakfast AND dinner. The gym is great. Staff is very friendly.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 23 January 2009

My husband's colleague recommended the hotel, since I was tagging along with him for meetings that we knew would take 2 - 3 weeks. What a value! The price we're paying includes really good internet, breakfast and (Monday-Thursday) dinner WITH wine and beer. Granted, we've chosen to eat out some, but, if money were tight, you could really stretch your dollar here. Beyond that though, the service has been wonderful ... housekeeping even figured out what time I work out and made a point to clean our room in that half hour, so as to not inconvenience me. Really above and beyond!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
La Quinta Inn Champaign
La Quinta Inn Champaign
#7 of 25 in Champaign

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Champaign-Urbana? Share your experiences!