“Don't stay here”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Champaign
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Reviewed 23 July 2013

When we travel we usually stay at Fairfields but this is way below their usual standards. No refrigerator or microwave. But that wasn't the worst part. Our room was so dirty we had to go to the front desk and ask for a different room. They were accommodating which was nice. When I am staying in a town I have not stayed in before I usually check with Trip Advisor but I didn't this time and I should have. Lesson learned. The price was right at $85 for the senior discount so I suppose you get what you pay for but again-- the Fairfields we have stayed in before were only a little bit more money. The second room we got faces the other Marriott hotel and after reading the reviews I am glad we are not facing I-74. We won't stay here again when we are in Champaign.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephanie O
Rick H, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of our hotel and for being a loyal Marriott member. I am sorry to hear that our Fairfield Inn & Suites didn't meet the your expectations. Our housekeeping staff works hard to ensure each guest has a fresh, clean room. I apologize that this did not happen and I will be reviewing your comments with my staff so that it does not happen again. I sincerely hope that you'll reconsider our Fairfield Inn & Suites and give us another chance the next time you are in Champaign.

Assistant Manager

Reviewed 10 July 2013

When we walked we had some confusion about our room and they were sold out. The desk clerk eventually found our reservation. The room was ok, but the air conditioner didn't work that well. Good breakfast in the morning. We also asked for recommendations to order in as we had come on motorcycles and didn't want to walk so far to dinner. In the room there was a list of about 20 places that deliver, but the front desk clerk told us there was only two. When we asked for a recommendation on which places were better, she didn't have any idea. So we took a stab at it and ordered Chinese. It was good, but it would have been nice to have a recommendation.

Room Tip: There are restaurants less than a mile away within walking distance.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tammy A
Rick H, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our breakfast as we take pride in providing our guests the best complimentary, deluxe breakfast in Champaign. I'm sorry to hear about the confusion we had when trying to locate your reservation and apologize for the inconvenience it caused. I'm also very sorry that the front desk was not helpful in making recommendations for local restaurants. I understand how frustrating that would be if you aren't from the area. I have addressed both of these issues with my front desk staff in hopes that future guests do not go thru the same frustrations that you did. If you should find yourself back in Champaign I do hope that you will give the Fairfield Inn another chance to impress you.

Manager

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Neat, clean rooms, well maintained, great staff, great free breakfast. Walking distance to very good restaurants and a large shopping mall. Front desk staff was very helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This Fairfield is located right off the I-74 ... so if you want a quiet room, ask for one on the back side of the hotel, facing The Marriott.
Clean rooms and public areas, modern and nicely furnished rooms, free wifi, it's hard to write a review about a standard, unremarkable Fairfield Inn...
The hotel has a very nice indoor pool and fitness center, but no outside areas whatsoever - great for bad weather not for summer sunshine relaxation.
Breakfast fare includes sausage patties and scrambled eggs plus cereal, bagels, bread and all of the usual cold offerings.
Front desk staff were willing and able to make good dining suggestions

Room Tip: Make sure to request a room that DOES NOT face the I-74
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Rick H, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your recent stay at the Champaign Fairfield Inn & Suites. I'm glad to hear that our front desk staff was able to make excellent recommendations for you and that you enjoyed our pool, fitness room and breakfast. Our staff works relentlessly to provide our guests with the highest quality of standards. I hope that if you find yourself in the Champaign area in the future that you will think of us.

Manager

Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

Pretty easy to get to and not too expensive--that's what we wanted, and that's what we got. Staff was friendly and the rooms were pretty nice. Plus, they had free wi-fi and the breakfast was pretty good. All in all, we were happy with our stay here.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank fox4cefive
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I left some clothing (designer sweater, pants, belt, turtle neck) in the drawer. It was never returned. It is difficult to recommend a hotel that does not look after the items that you leave behind and make sure that they are returned to you.
This otherwise unremarkable stay at an unremarkable Fairfield was irretrievably stained by this at best throwing my items away and at worst theft of my items.

Stayed: March 2013
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Dear Guest,
I apologize we did not provide you with the experience you expected while staying with us. We take this matter very seriously; after reviewing the issue we have determined all Team members followed property Policy & Procedures.I do appreciate your time and having the opportunity to resolved the issue with you over the phone.

Tim Izard | General Manager

Reviewed 3 March 2013

Since we are Marriott reward guests we booked this hotel late in the day by cell phone. For us, Fairfield Inn has always been a dependable hotel with comfortable beds. The hotel was conveniently located off the freeway and easy enough to find.

It was a cold, windy day and when we got into our room there was a whistling noise coming from the window and the curtains were blowing. The window wouldn't shut tight so I headed back to the front desk to ask for another room. In the meantime, my husband had adjusted the window (reseated it in the track) himself and we decided to keep the room.

The room was nicely updated with fresh paint, carpet and new furniture. The TV had a great picture and of course Marriott did not disappoint; the King bed was extremely comfortable as always.

There were a few other issues that were not up to par for Marriott. The tub faucet dripped, the toilet bowl had black stains and the toilet seat was loose. The heater did not have a wall thermostat and was very difficult to keep adjusted. The fan never shut off so even when the heat was off, the fan continued to run blowing cold air directly toward the bed. I finally put a pillow over half of the heating unit to block the air.

Breakfast was the usual fare; hard boiled eggs, waffles, biscuits/gravy, etc. so no complaints. The desk clerk that took the reservation was friendly and efficient.

In hind site, I wish we had asked for another room but it had been a long day of driving and we made the best of it. There are many other hotels in the area and a Marriott Courtyard was right across the parking lot from the Fairfield. Out of curiosity, I looked online to see what the rate would have been at the Courtyard and it was only $10 more for a King room.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple