“Fabulous Resort”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rosalie
Idyllwild, California
“Fabulous Resort”
Reviewed 14 April 2011

My husband and I brought our adult daughter, and met other family members at the Rosalie Bay Resort. It was the first time we had been to Dominica and didn't know what to expect. What a fabulous resort. It is right on the beach of the Atlantic Ocean, quite secluded from the rest of the island by palm trees and underbrush. It is a bit out of the way, about an hour drive from the capital, Roseau. The rooms are spacious, well appointed, the staff is friendly and always looking for things to do for you. We stayed three nights, and one of the mornings we took our coffee cups out to the bench to watch the waves. Within 15 minutes, an employee brought us out a pot of coffee, milk and sugar to refill our cups. We accidently left my phone in our room when we left and the cleaning lady turned it in. They were very accommodating brought our phone to the airport before our departure. The food was delicious at the restaurant on the grounds. The pool was just right for the warm weather. All in all, it has been the nicest place we have stayed on our two month trip! Highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the river or the ocean
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Chicago
Reviewed 13 April 2011

My husband and Ifirst traveled to Dominica 17 years ago, and returned just recently with our two daughters. Rosalie Bay Resort is a wonderful addition to the beautiful, unspoiled island that we remember from years ago. We shared a spacious room that provided great views of the river. Although you will need a car and excellent driving skills if you plan to explore the island, Rosalie is fairly convenient to many scenic attractions and the cap. of Roseau. We loved everything about the resort - from the unique pool and comfortable rooms to the outstanding restaurant and friendly staff. The only thing we regret about our stay is not waking up in the middle of the night to see the turtles nesting on the beach. We hope to return in the future.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Malibu, California
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Great resort! My girlfriend and I stayed at Rosalie Bay for a week in March 2011 and loved it. Dominica itself is a lush rain forest paradise, incredibly green and beautiful.

For my girlfriend, the resort had all the luxuries desired including tropic drinks around the pool and great food. For me, the more outdoorsy and adventurous things to do such as scuba diving were accessible with the help of our driver/guide, a guy named Zahir who smiled and laughed and told jokes practically nonstop. He also took us to waterfalls and hot springs that were short hikes from the road.

Rosalie Bay is, as I understand it, the only resort of its caliber in Dominica. There are a few hotels in the capital of Roseau which his about an hour away by car, but the city of Roseau is, well, rather on the poor and gritty side. I don’t perceive any reason to stay in Roseau or any of the hotels there, although I didn’t actually go into any of the hotels.

Everybody on the staff was extremely nice, gracious, and helpful. We got the massage that comes with the Romance Package and it was wonderful. We stayed in one of the river side suites. The room was spacious and nicely furnished, and the sound of the river outside at night was relaxing and soothing.

The food was fantastic, provided by chef Sean who is from Belize and a very nice guy. One night Sean made lobster dinners for us that were delicious, the lobsters having just been brought in by a local fisherman.

The resort had a very well equipped workout room. There aren’t any flat places to go for a run, but I was able to find some dirt roads through the banana groves and the rain forest that made for a beautiful combination run/hike. I understand there’s a hiking trail that crosses the island, which must be an incredible hike.

The resort is in the middle of nowhere. You won’t be able to walk or take a taxi to any nearby bars, clubs, restaurants, or shops. There are none. But the property is large and spacious, and has a great restaurant. I’m not sure there are even any bars, restaurants, or shops in the city of Roseau that you’d really want to go to, anyway. The other city of any size is Portsmouth, which we did not visit.

The beach next to the resort has large rocks in the surf, which is rough being on the Atlantic side of the island, so you can’t swim at the beach which is a bit of a shame. Nor can you walk easily to any beach that you can swim in. We did, however, spend an afternoon at a secluded black sand beach with coconut trees growing in the sand that Zahir drove us to, and where you can go into the surf. You have to walk from the road about 20 minutes down a hillside path to get there, but once there, we were the only people on the beach the whole afternoon. Dang, black sand gets hot if you’re not wearing flip-flops!

With the Wi-Fi at the resort, I was able to get work done as needed.

All in all, it was great stay at a great resort. If you’re looking for a relaxing stay in a luxury resort in a beautiful tropical Caribbean beach setting, with maybe some scuba diving and some hiking mixed in, I would highly recommend Rosalie Bay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Joel_IP37
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 March 2011

My husband and I won a trip to Rosalie Bay in Dominica through a charity auction. We had no idea what to except from either the resort or the island, but were just hoping for some serenity and relaxation.

What we experienced was far better than we ever could have expected. Starting with the super accommodating and humble resort owners and staff, to the gorgeous rooms, to the fantastic food. We felt so welcomed by everyone and had such a great time in Dominica.

This is such a hidden treasure of an island, and Rosalien Bay is absolutely the place to stay in Dominica. You will not find nicer people or better food anywhere else.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amyantonio
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 March 2011

I traveled solo for a long weekend of hiking and exploration and had one of the best trips ever. Everyone was so friendly and accommodating that I almost felt like I was staying with family or friends, yet I was at a beautiful resort with all the comfort and solitude I wanted. The black sand beach and crashing surf made for a spectacular setting, while the excursions to the Boiling Lake and various waterfalls made for an utterly unique adventure. I would recommend the Rosalie Bay Resort and the island of Dominica, with its welcoming people, to anyone. The food at the resort also was wonderful and incorporated many local elements into its cuisine. There is so much to do and see that I can't wait to plan a return trip.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 February 2011

The stay was amazing. From the serene and beautiful area to the accomodations. I could not have asked for anything more. It was truly a piece of heaven on Dominica. We were able to view the ocean from our 4 poster bed. The room was spacious and clean.To add to this, the staff was so accomodating and gracious. Anything that you asked for, they provided . It is far from everything, but worth the trek. The food is great and to be able to enjoy the ocean and river was a plus. I would strongly recommend it and can only dream of returning again with the Birthday Man !!! Thank you for a great time Claudette and staff, you made this birhtday weekend a special one.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
california
Reviewed 19 December 2010

My son came to visit me in Dominica and we needed a place for all of us-the boys included -Jacob 11 and Charlie .

The place is amazing. Far beyond what I expected and totally unique to Dominica.

What great food, on the beach and amazing service- took a while to build but well worth the wait-
Dominica needed a place like this.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosalie
Secret Bay
#1 of 3 in Calibishie
Calibishie Lodges
Calibishie Lodges
#3 of 3 in Calibishie

Been to Rosalie Bay Resort? Share your experiences!