“I'm going to tell you a secret!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rosalie
Mermaid's Secret - Riverside Retreat
Reviewed 19 May 2014

If you like me have read trip advisor reviews in the past and wondered, "Should I go there?" then read on... This destination was without doubt the best of what the Caribbean has to offer. Beautiful days spent walking in the rain forest or hiking to a spectacular waterfall, snorkelling in the blue water or lounging in the river, all followed by nights under the stars listening to the amazing sounds of the wildlife. Nature is never far away on this volcanic landscape. Everyday a new adventure to be sought and a new experience to be had. All this made so easy by the guys at Mermaid Secret. Sam and Tim have created a perfect idyll in the middle of it all, non intrusive, it lets the island do it's thing while offering a beautiful place to rest, recuperate and plan the next day. The team will be your chef, tour guide, barman, host and above all by the end of your stay, friends. I simply can not do Dominica justice in writing, a visit is the only way you will find the true secret this place has to offer.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ElectricSweep
MermaidsSecret, Owner at Mermaid's Secret - Riverside Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thanks for this kind review. We are pleased you had a nice time here with us and we really appreciate your enthusiasm in helping us make 'the movie'. Certainly an unexpected adventure for you guys and I can see it catching on as a 'tour'!

(for confused readers check our mermaids secret youtube page for the movie 'Animals Assemble and the case of the Bounder')

There are newer reviews for Mermaid's Secret - Riverside Retreat

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The island of Dominica is raw,rugged and an adventure seekers dream! You could spend weeks exploring the island and not even touch the many gems on this island. However (hands down) the best lodging on the island is this jewel called Mermaids Secret! As many have said, the property is nestled dead smack in a rain forest, sits rest next to 3 rivers ( is that a copyright enfringement :) and is very clean/comfortable. You may find resorts with more glitz and hype but you WILL NEVER find one with more personable owners! Tim and Samantha are true Owner Operators and put sweat equity into their ownership. After one day on the property, I felt like I knew them for years. By the time I was ready to leave, it felt like I was leaving a loved family member. Which brings me to my only word of caution; " A trip to this island and property could throw your current life into turmoil! After leaving the first time, I had a hard time getting back into groove of my old life. In fact, after returning to the states, I spent a great deal of time researching how I could make the move to this island and become neighbors with this beautiful couple".

2  Thank Thomas D

Wow what can I say to this review Tom? Thanks so much for your kind words and we certainly felt we waved goodbye to good friends when you headed back home. Our many wonderful guests like you guys really do make our job easy though. We simply enjoy meeting and getting to know everyone while they are here and try to have a few laughs along the way.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Hearing about this place through friends, I knew it was going to be great. However it exceeded my expectations! It was absolutely beautiful. Surrounded by jungle next to a river and with it's own beautiful natural pool Mermaid's Secret offers exceptionally comfortable and well equipped cabins and a yurt. The Mermaid's bar is a lovely hangout with a large veranda looking out over the river. It offers comfy chairs and a hammock. Breakfast can be had from here, and on request a lucky dip evening meal is offered. All the food I had was delicious. Sam and Tim are exceptionally welcoming and friendly hosts. Tim can take you out to explore the island's sights and hidden treasures. His knowledge of the island is vast. I would recommend Mermaid's Secret and Dominica highly and I'm looking to revisit in the not too far a future hopefully.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Moppiepats

Thank you for this kind review. I'm pleased your friends had heard about us and you took up their recommendation and came to stay. Hopefully they will also get the chance to explore this wonderful Island one day

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last month for 5 nights, it was a return for me, but my girlfriends first visit.
I knew that Tim and Sam would have been working hard in the intervening years but the transformation from beautiful spot with potential to the present set up was hard to believe.
The cabins are little spots of luxury and the bar area is such a wonderful place to sip a cocktail while chatting with whoever is around at the time.
Sam's breakfasts and evening meals are perfect ways to start and finish the days of trekking, snorkelling, sightseeing, turtle watching or just loafing.
The favourite part of our day was rolling out of bed after a long deep sleep and wandering down to swim in Mermaids Pool. What a way to start any day!
Tim and Sam are the perfect hosts with a deep knowledge of the island. Tim is more than happy to take visitors on adventures both big and small.
The boiling lake is a hard day, but a worthwhile one.
We will definitely be back. Hopefully next time it won't take 5 years!

• Stayed: April 2014

Thanks for this review Rog. It was great to welcome you back and show you the changes we have made over the last 5 yrs. You were our first visitor back in the day. There is still more to do of course!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We spent 4 nights at Mermaid's secret and we definitely have to say it is one of the best, if it is not THE best place on the island that we've been to. The surroundings make you experience the real jungle that you normally only see in the movies, and the cottages are so well done, you feel confortable and cosy as soon as you step into them. And what to say about Sam, Tim, Alex and Tom, the owners and "team"? They're just great! They Welcome you so friendly and make you leave the place with a big smile on your face! If you want a great holiday, don't hesitate: it is the place to go in Dominica! :-)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hey Meryl, thanks for this kind review. We enjoyed you being here and it was a nice surprise you came back later on to camp once your boyfriend had gone back to Switzerland. I guess its safe to say you enjoyed it here too! I hope you still remember the actions to the pirate song:)

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Would first like to thank Trip Advisor for helping us make the decision to stay at the Mermaid's Secret Riverside retreat. From all the positive feedback we knew we were in for a treat. We stayed in the Orange Cottage which was so comfortable and clean. The cottage was built by Tim and his family. You could tell he built it with a lot of care and pride as every other place on his land. The retreat allowed us a lot of privacy but when we wanted to socialize Tim and his Family welcomed us to their little bar were we had a few beer and beat the girls in cards. We did a few hikes from the camp by ourselves the trails were challenging but do able. Tim took us on a hike to Victoria Falls, Glassy Bay, Sari Sari , Wavin Cirique and the Boiling Lakes he was a very careful and enjoyable guide to hike with. No matter how hard the day of hiking was we always made time to swim in the Mermaids pool. That pool is a real treasure, what a find. All I can say is if you want an Affordable, clean,quiet and private place to stay that allows you to be in the heart of the rain forest of Beautiful Dominica then stay here. Ann-Marie and I will be back, but this time with our kids who were so jealous

Room Tip: I loved our Orange building. Wifi works better at the bar room but you can get it at the left corn...
1  Thank Cal P

Thanks for this lovely review Kal. We had fun with you guys here so we are looking forward to meeting the rest of your family on your next trip. Glad we made your time with us so enjoyable.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We spent 9 nights on Dominica, both in the west and in the east of the island. In the east, we chose to stay in a yurt of Mermaid's Secret and we certainly didn't regret it! The owners, Tim and Sam Williams are the perfect hosts, full of British humour and very knowledgeable about the area. Mermaid's Secret has a number of cabins and a yurt (Mongolian tent), in a beautiful garden, surrounded by rainforest, plantations and rivers. The yurt was spacious enough for our family of four. We had our own private bathroom and kitchen facilities in a small building just a couple of metres away from the tent. This building also has a covered porch, so that you can still sit outside and read or listen to the sounds of the forest when there is a rain shower. A big plus for our daughters (9 and 11 years old) was Mermaid's Pool and river, just a few steps away. The swimming hole is surrounded by abundant vegetation and tree ferns. The pool is deep enough for real swimming, but of course there are also shallow parts. It was always the perfect refreshing reward after a long hike on this truly beautiful and unspoilt island. Our girls are rather careful, and reasonably good swimmers, we found Mermaid's Pool safe enough to let them play without supervision. The riverside bar is a good place to socialize, and enjoy a drink while you hear the music of the river and the sounds of the jungle in the background. Unfortunately, we didn't see any turtles, perhaps next time!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Bado2014

Thanks for your review Barts. We are glad you had a nice time here with your family. Its nearly time for our summer break so you might see me yet arrive in Ypre for the centenary of WW1. Thanks for the invite :)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosalie
Secret Bay
#1 of 2 in Castle Bruce
Calibishie Cove
Calibishie Cove
#1 of 3 in Calibishie

Been to Mermaid's Secret - Riverside Retreat? Share your experiences!