“quite unusual - especially the glass enclosed shower”
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #61 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I loved looking out at all the lights through the long glass windows in my corner room. the rooftop bar with the open pit fireplace was da bomb. I also liked the location and the hot trendy bar on the first floor. I would definitely go back and stay there and also because it is one block from MBurger which serves the best most juiciest burgers, fries and floats.

Room Tip: corner rooms give an excellent view
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Hi Candice F, thank you for a great review. We are happy you enjoyed our location and amenities! Please come see us again soon :)

There are newer reviews for dana hotel and spa

Reviewed 20 November 2012

The staff went the extra mile to accommodate all requests. The laundry service was very effective and the location is excellent, with a spectacular view both from my room and the terrace. However, these advantages could not unfortunately rescue the serious disadvantages. The hotel is badly in need of renovation. The bathroom was old and then I tried to use the plug of the bath tub the rusty old thing literally fell apart. A spectacular room with a view is a good idea but pulling down six double curtains with rusty manual tools every night was less good (an electrical system for pulling down all the twelve curtains would help a lot). The heating/air conditioning system was one of the most noisy I experienced, giving the choice from keeping it and suffer the noise or shutting it off and suffer the cold. The breakfast menu is poor and renouncing the usual breakfast buffet as this hotel does is only good if service is quick - which in my case was not, it took 40 minutes to have granola with yogurth and a fruit smoothie, priced - together with coffee and juice - an exaggerated $35. The great location and the very friendly staff deserve investments by the owners to renovate the hotel and improving how it operates.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LordLister

Dear LordLister, we appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and let us know about your experience. My sincerest apologies for the various deficiencies you experienced during your stay. We continually improve our product and your suggestions are helpful. If you would like to try us again, please call the hotel directly and speak to a manager in Reservations so they can make sure your next stay is perfection!

Reviewed 19 November 2012

The Dana Hotel is just an amazing place to stay and I am always happy to come back here. The bellmen, TJ and Christopher are always friendly, welcoming and remember me each time. I had a corner king suite and everything from the comfortable beds to the awesome showers made my business trip that much more enjoyable. The room service staff were always prompt and so friendly...even at 6AM!!! I only had breakfast in the restaurant one morning but the wait staff were so GREAT! The food was excellent and the service even better!! I decided to treat myself to a spa treatment and Geraldine was fantastic! She sat me down and really listened to what I wanted in my facial---the result was unbelievably awesome! I looked refreshed and relaxed. I absolutely love the Dana Hotel and always recommend it to clients and friends!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2012

Dear anirishgirlinboston, we really appreciate the great review. Thank you especially for mentioning staff members that really made your stay special. They really appreciate the recognition. We couldn't be happier after hearing about your experience and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 November 2012

I recently stayed at the Dana while in Chicago on business. This is my 2nd time staying in 2 years. I thought the first time the great service was by fluke; not so. I love that this is not a big hotel so it doesn't have that busy lobby with guests zooming in and out. The gym is a good size to have a decent work-out if for some reason you cant go for a run outside. The rooms are just lovely and it's nice to have a proper balcony where I could sit and enjoy a cup of tea and the end of the day. The conscierge manager, Tim Anderson, gave me some great recommendations on where to eat and was wonderful in assisting to forward a parcel to Florida that did not arrive before I checked out. The location of the hotel is close to some great restaurants, all within walking distance. And Magnificent Mile is only about 2 blocks away. I could also walk across the river to Millenium Park to take some pics of Cloud Gate sculpture.

I tried the spa previously and enjoyed it very much. Beautiful and quiet.

The beds deserve a special mention. These are possible the best beds ever! It's like sleeping in a cloud. The mattress is just the right touch and the cover is like a cloud; so are the pillows. Great comfort to someone who is from a different climate and in Chicago during the colder months.

All in all, a great stay. I would stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2012

Dear 88V_A_F88, thank you for your awesome review. I am so glad you appreciated our Serta Enrapture Eurotop Mattresses. We get a lot of great compliments on them. Also, thank you for the special mention about Tim Anderson, I will make sure he sees this!

Reviewed 18 November 2012

There's not much more you could ask for in a hotel; the staff was very friendly and helpful, the room and bathroom was both comfortable and clean and the location is perfect.

Location: Only a few blocks from the shopping hub on Michigan Ave with tons of great restaurants and bars on the way.

Dining: No complaints on my food or service whether it was calling for room service, having breakfast in the restaurant or grabbing a drink or cup of coffee at the bar. The staff is very friendly and attentive and my food was all very good.

Room and Bathroom: Beds were very comfortable, bathroom and bedroom were both very clean. Not a lot of clothing storage space though- The closet has about 6 hangers and there is no drawer space so we had to live out of our suitcases (which for me, really wasnt an issue)

Spa: Great ambience and my massage was great. The steamroom at the end was the cherry on top.

Vertigo: The rooftop bar is spectacular; from the outdoor fire pit, views of the city, and the decor inside, everything was great about it. Again, friendly staff and great drinks, too!.

I can't think of a real complaint after my 4 day stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear NewJerseySloot, thank you for spending four days with us. We really appreciate your thoughtful and positive review. We can't wait to wow you again :)

Reviewed 18 November 2012

My husband and I stayed two nights in November at Dana Hotel and Spa. We had a corner king room with a small balcony on the 21st floor. The room overall was great. It was a smaller hotel room but all the amenities of a large hotel room. I would not recommend this room though for couples who are still getting to know each other due to the glass shower that looks into the bed area, no lock on the bathroom door either. The bed was very comfortable. It really is a great location and easy walking distance to most of what you would want in downtown Chicago. Though we did not have much interaction with the hotel employee's, they all seemed very nice and asked how we were enjoying our stay or if we needed help finding anything. We will stay here again on our next trip to Chicago.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear JenaBena2012, So happy you enjoyed your stay and our convenient location! Thank you for taking the time to recognize us on Trip Advisor. See you when you visit Chicago again.

Reviewed 16 November 2012

Great hotel, great time. All the staff was professional and pleasant, including the spa. All of unique differences from other hotels including the glass shower wall in the room, made it fun. The hotel is located near excellent resturants, bars and shopping.

2  Thank Don H

Dear Don H, we are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. It was nice to read that you enjoyed our location and unique style. Please return soon!