“One of my favs hands down!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #51 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“One of my favs hands down!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Loved this place because of it's uniqueness... It's distinceness is what sold me... Location was great... A few blocks from the magnificent mile and Chicago river..... Rooftop is ideal during the day if you want to Just relax with a glass of wine and a good book... Late hours, club in full effect..... Overall, great stay!!! Upgrade to an tranquil suite if possible, 2 balconies and a kick @&$ shower!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Leemarie_54, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear heidi1happy,

Thank you so much for choosing the dana and for taking the time to write this great review! We hope to see you again soon!

Liana Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

We took advantage of the incredible Christmas day rates and treated ourselves to a well deserved day and evening at the Dana! As always the Dana delivered!. All of the staff on hand, despite the holiday, were warm and friendly and took care of our every need. We treated ourselves to a couples massage to relax from the weeks of pre-Christmas stress!

We were able to enjoy the day after Christmas shopping on Michigan Avenue with the close proximity from the hotel. All in all it was a fabulous choice and Dana helped make our stay perfect.

Room Tip: Get a corner King, the all glass interiors and exteriors are stylish and romantic
Dear 784ScottB,

Thank you for choosing the dana hotel and spa! I am so happy to hear you guys were able to take time and relax before the holiday. We hope to see you again soon!
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

I wanted to love this hotel. The web site makes it sound chic and high class and I was looking forward to a day of feeling like a princess but walked away somewhat disappointed. Let me preface this by saying I expect good service. Frankly, I expect people go to above and beyond especially in the service industry and I just did not get that feel here. I had requested an upgrade through a program on their website and I am not entirely sure if I got one. If I did, it wasn't much of one. The room was so small. I would not recommend this if you are with anyone. I think I would have felt cramped even with my husband. The shower is glass enclosed and literally in arm's reach of the bed. Yes, there is a curtain providing some privacy but that can be easily moved from the other side. Here are some examples of the service not being great or at least consistent....
I went to the rest. for a quick bite to eat. I had left my book upstairs and asked the hostess if there was anything around to read. She didn't even bother responding. I asked my waiter for anything and even said "I will take anything, magazine, brochure, anything." He made the smallest attempt and said no. I was the only person in the place. I watched the waiter go by the concierge desk several times and finally got up by myself, went to the same desk, picked up two magazines and returned to the table.
The internet service was terrible. It took 44 minutes for me to send one small document. On this trip it wasn't that big of a deal, on others I would have been livid. Anyway, I called the front desk and was told, "No one else is complaining, it must be you." Hmmm.
Finally, this is a new thing I have learned from a stay at another hotel and try to tell anyone this information. Our key kept not working and they would send a maint man up with this device that looked like a coat hanger. He was very handily able to stick this under the door, grab the interior door handle and open the door. Since then I am always very careful to engage the door latches when I am in the room. Guess what? For some reason the dana hotel doesn't have this extra security measure. This may sound petty but it I feel that it is important.
I like the concept of a high end boutique hotel in the heart of my favorite city but this just didn't do it for me.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Lovefancyhotels
Leemarie_54, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Lovefancyhotels,

I apologize for the disappointing experience you had with the dana hotel and spa during your most recent stay. Our goal is always to provide exemplary service and quality accommodations, and we apologize for not living up to those standards this time.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We learn, grow and make changes based on our guests feedback. We would be happy to discuss your stay with you further please feel free to reach out to myself or our rooms division manager Yolanda Carmin at ycarmin@danahotelandspa.com

I hope you give us another opportunity the next time you are in Chicago.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

The rooms were nice, unfortunately I was informed that all the rooms have a view of the buildings across the street. It is indeed an up and happening place. The valets were attentive, although room service was a challenge, even with a tip on top of the included gratuity and delivery fee. The front desk attendees were very welcoming. Overall, it made me feel young, sexy and vibrant. Great for young couples.

Room Tip: I got a corner room, where I viewed all the buildings on the opposite corner. :-)
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank fivestarlady104
Dear fivestarlady104,

Thank you for your recent stay with us! I am glad you enjoyed your accommodations. The corner room is one of my favorite panoramic views of the city.
They are correct all of our rooms have a view of the building across the street with the exception of our cozy king and our tranquil suite they offer a view to the north or to the south of state street depending on what side of the building you are on.

I am sorry to hear you did not have a good experience with our rooms service. Please feel free to reach out to me or our Rooms Division Manager Yolanda Carmin at ycarmin@danahotelandspa.com. We would like to get more detail on your experience so we can share with our team and make the necessary improvements.

We hope to see you the next time your travels bring you to Chicago.

Batavia, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed at the Dana for a one night visit. Arrived at noon for a couples massage that was amazingly relaxing and a perfect start to the day. The Dana had our room ready early and the suite was very comfortable. Wine in the room was reasonably priced which was very surprising to me as business traveler and knowing how it could have been priced. The location was perfect to the Mag Mile. We worked out in the morning in the fitness center which was nice. Had time to enjoy a quick lunch in the hotel restaurant that was served with excellent service. Valet parking was pricey but very efficient. I would definitely stay here again and get another couples massage in the spa.

Room Tip: I prefer higher level to avoid ground noise, but not sure that was even an issue to avoid.
1 Thank Ken C
Dear Ken C,

I am happy to hear were able to enjoy all dana has to offer! Thank you for taking time to write this review. We hope to see you back at the dana soon! We will get the massage tables heated and ready for you both!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Dana over the New Years period, and whilst we didn't take advantage of the Spa/Bar/Club, the room/service/reception was great and we will definitely be back! Great location, had no trouble getting around as an out of towner, and staff/concierge was great at getting us in cabs and ensuring we were sent on the right path.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Duane J,

Thank you for spending New Year's with us and taking the time to write a review regarding your stay! We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed at the Dana in mid December and were extremely impressed with our stay. We've been to Chicago a number of times as a couple (I used to live there) and this is one of the best places we've stayed. Jose is a great doorman! I can't say enough good things about Lyndsey, the bellman. He immediately made us feel at ease in the hotel, showing us around our room and joking with us. He also remembered us by name each and every time we came downstairs. And when he found out i'd left my coat and some other items in the car, personally ran out to get them. The maid service was also phenomenal. I asked for extra products (because they smelled AWESOME) and they left me tons! The location is also convenient to most activities we had planned. The room itself was modern. My husband liked the exposed cement. I loved the entire wall of windows. I also can't say enough about the shower! It was AMAZING. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud and this was by far the most pillows i've ever seen on a hotel bed! The only two downsides had to do with cost. One of the reasons we decided on the Dana was the low valet parking cost. However, they do not advertise quite how much the tax and fees are on that (an extra 10 or 11 dollars per night). Second the lobby bar is outrageously priced. A double Captain and coke and a double Jack and Coke were $50. I'm used to city pricing but that was insane. We will definitely return to the Dana!

Room Tip: High floors for great views!
Dear Sarah T.

Thank you for the review and of your kind comments regarding our team and your accommodations. I am sorry our valet charges were not clear, city tax changes based on weekday and weekend. Thank you for letting us know so we can take a look at our website and write a clearer description. We hope to see you the next time you're in Chicago!