“Modern and new”
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #60 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

My two night stay was excellent. I had no problems with noise from the top floor club mentioned by others. My room was three levels below it and was not large but was big enough for two. The price was well below what all the nearby older hotels were charging. Definitely on my list as the first place to check for my next visit to Chicago.

• Stayed: May 2014
Liana C, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Hi mark s,
Thank you for choosing the dana hotel and spa! We appreciate you taking the time to write such a delightful review! We hope you come back and see us again soon

Liana

There are newer reviews for dana hotel and spa

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed at the DANA from a Monday through a Thursday for business. I had a cozy king room with a balcony and despite the very busy hotel my room was completely quiet and private. I love the view from the bed and enjoyed the luxury bedding. The staff was helpful. The breakfast in the restaurant downstairs was perfect and the doormen were awesome at remembering me (and that I needed a taxi early in the morning)

Getting there by train was super easy.
One thing to note; as the week grew the roof-top night club scene intensified. It's easy to avoid but the vibe is certainly there. I did not use the spa- maybe next time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Janell V,
Thank you for such a wonderful review! We’re so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We agree with you regarding the view from the cozy king room. The spa is definitely a must the next time you are in town! We hope to see you again soon.

Best regards
lclark@danahotelandspa.com

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The Dana was everything we expected and more. Great location...right in the center of everything. The staff was friendly and helpful...directions, recommendations etc. The view was spectacular. We loved everything about our stay.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear cardz_fanz
Thank you for choosing the dana hotel and spa! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope you visit Chicago again soon, we’d love to welcome you back!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had a Great stay at the Dana. It is situation directly in the middle of everything you need to visit, eat, and see while in Chicago. You can walk to basically anywhere in the city, no problem. The room was very nice with full windows giving a nice view of the city. I can see if you have kids the shower window would be awkward but me and my fiance' enjoyed it!!! The rain shower was great and provided enough pressure. The bed slept really well for a hotel bed with nice pillows. The air conditioner acted up one night but eventually fixed itself. The mini bar refridgerator did not cool very well even when set on lowest setting. We tried the downstairs bar and restaurant for breakfast and was satisfied with the service and the food, as well as the portions given. We checked out the SkyBar one afternoon and was impressed with the bar and the great views. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Would definitely stay here again if I ever go back to Chicago!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay away from the floors near SkyBar if you go to bed early
1  Thank Scott D

Hi Scott D,
Thank you for taking the time to write a great review for us! We’re glad to hear you loved our great location as much as we do! Thank you for mentioning the wine coolers, After 6 years we are in the process of replacing all of them. We will take a look f them to make sure what we have in our rooms and suites is cooling properly. We do hope you do come back to Chicago and visit us again!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We recently stayed in the "Comfy King" room for 2 nights. I would not return. We sleep in a king-size bed at home and this was definitely not a king. The room itself was tiny and dark, with only one narrow window. The room had a "balcony" but it is so small only one person could stand out there at a time (there's no room for even one chair). Although the room appeared clean, the plaster in the bathroom was cracked and peeling and the room's ceilings are unfinished cement - seriously - I could actually see numbers written on the ceiling from the construction crew. The air conditioner cycled on and off every 7-8 minutes with a loud click so sleeping soundly was out of the question. Many people mention the elevators, which were in fact very slow and crowded. Also, a note about location - it's great for people-watching and nightlife but the party never ends. Despite being on the 20th floor, we heard noise from the street loud and clear: police sirens wailing, drunken yelling, car horns blaring all night long. All in all, this hotel is overpriced and uncomfortable. We were happy to check out.

Dear NorthbrookMom,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time with us. In regards to the room condition, we are currently addressing these issues and doing a refresh in all of the rooms, I do apologize you were in one that had not yet been taken care of. The unfinished ceilings are actually on purpose to give the room more of a loft feel. You are definitely correct in saying many people have mentioned the crowded elevators and we have taken that into account. We are currently working on a solution to keep Vertigo guests and hotel guests separate so your elevators are quieter. I understand your frustration with your stay, we would love to have you back to experience the changes we have been making. Please give our in house reservations department a call so they can personalize your next stay just the way you want it.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Staying at the Dana made the rest of my Chicago visit that much smoother. It was so easy to get around the city with your home base so perfectly situated. It was a quick walk to all the major downtown attractions and very close to the Red Line. There is a Divvy bike station right outside also. Be sure to check out the old church down the street, the inside is pretty cool.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Liana C, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Charles G,
We are flattered to hear we had such an impact on your overall experience with Chicago! One of the things I love about our location is it allows you to explore all Chicago has to offer. I am so happy to see you were able to take advantage of that.
Thank you for choosing the dana hotel and spa, we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here twice last summer and plan to go back! My husband and I live in Europe but Im from West Michigan so we like to fly into Chicago, spend a couple of days, and then head up toward Grand Rapids.

The room was great value for money, very trendy and cool. I liked how they did the breakfast vouchers, hotel breakfasts can get a bit boring but you feel obligated to eat there because it's already paid for but if you have a coupon and pay a little bit on top of that then you get the breakfast you actually want but at a good deal.

The staff was friendly and courteous every time we interacted with them. The location was perfect.

The only thing I thought was less than stellar was the concierge. We asked if he could recommend any decent Korean restaurants and he suggested that we go for Thai instead because it was basically the same thing. Um, not at all, not even close.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi CloverGjerstsen,
Thank you for continuing to choose the dana hotel and spa and taking the time to write this review for us. I am glad you like the breakfast at Freestyle Food + Drink. If you haven't' tired the Spanish scramble please do so on your next stay! It's one of my personal favorites!
I am sorry we were not very helpful with a Korean restaurant selection. Let us know the next time your coming into town we would be happy to direct you to a few of favorite Korean restaurants, most are within a taxi ride of the dana.