“Fantastic Experience and First Class Staff”
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #60 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 20 October 2009

After checking Trip Advisor and seeing the pictures of the Dana Hotel, we booked a room knowing it would be close to the Magnificent Mile and friends who were also visting Chicago. You could not have asked for a better experience! The rate was great and it included a wonderful breakfast. The location was ideal to everything we wanted to do. The spacious and hip room was on the 18th floor with a terrific view. The see-through shower into the bedroom and for all the world to see was a cool addition and a good talker with our friends who visited us. (We amde sure to take pictures but they can't be posted here.) The bed and plllows were extremely comfortable and simply the best we've ever had in a hotel. The room was also very quiet which provided for a great night's sleep.

We went up to the Vertigo Bar and Club on the top floor and that was fun. It's one of the hottest night spots in town. The entire hotel is very contemporary and very pleasing to the eye. Very well designed and it added to our whole experience in Chicago.

And that brings us to the staff. They couldn't have been more helpful. Jeff, Romeo and Lindsey offered us some of the best suggestions on places to eat and visit. Our first night, we wanted romance and Jeff made reservations for us at nearby "Devon." We arrived to a posh restaurant and were given a private room overlooking the rest of the restaurant and tables. The food and service was incredible and it didn't take a huge chuck out of my wallet.

All the other helpful suggestions from the Dana staff were right on. On our last night we wanted to hear some jazz.. Jeff recommended the Green Mill, an old nightclub that Al Capone used to frequent. To my surprise, one of my favorite jazz artists was performing that night. We went to see Patricia Barber and had the table right in front of her piano. Talk about an incredible last night in Chicago.

There are many hotels in Chicago to choose from and experience. But our time at the Dana was so much fun, when we go back to Chicago, we're staying there again. Highly recommended.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for dana hotel and spa

Reviewed 16 October 2009

We stayed at the Dana in Sept, on our way home to NZ after 5 weeks of travelling around Canada. It was the perfect place to unwind for 3 days. Very helpful staff, lots of good restaurants nearby and within walking distance of the magnificent mile.
We were on the 19th floor with a balcony with great views over the city. The room was a good size with a fantastic shower, and very clean. Even the ongoing noise from the police, fire engines and ambulances drifting up from the street was'nt too bad.
Also very impressed with Quartino, a Italian restaurant, one block away, recommended by the concierge. She also gave us some discount coupons to use there. Very good food.
The breakfast downstains was also very good.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2009

The hotel is centrally located. That's been said. And yes, there is some street noise, although I didn't get much hallway noise. But I haven't been to a hotel yet, in a big city, that didn't have some noise. That said; check-in was efficient and easy. The bags were taken to our room while we went into the bar to pay for a very overpriced drink. I mean, we ordered an Irish coffee and got charged $5.00 for the cup of coffee and then $6.00 for the shot...anyway...it is a hotel bar.

Up to the room, nicely appointed. The bathroom is large with a beautiful shower (we were in a double queen room - our shower had only one head, our friends were in a Comfort King room - they had like water coming from every direction) - nice comfy robes to wear too. The hair-dryer was feeble...but eventually did the job.

The biggest problem with the hotel is the inconsistency. The first night the maid turned down the beds and pulled the shades, but neglected to pull the blackout shades; an important feature when you are in an east facing room...and we didn't know to do it ourselves. The second night, they were pulled, but the maid threw the pillows on the chair next to them so there was a nice crack for that sun to peek through, right into my friends eyes.

A nice touch is that they give you coupons for a made to order breakfast in their downstairs restaurant - valued at $15.00. So in the morning we went downstairs for breakfast...it was busy...we waited...once we sat...we waited...and waited...can someone PLEASE bring us some coffee???? Oh, sure...we waited...and waited...can we say, the service was slow? Yes, yes we can. The food was mostly good; again a couple of missteps and inconstancies; I assume the kitchen makes their poached eggs in advance, using the method of putting the egg into an ice bath to hold it until service and then putting it into hot water to warm and finish cooking; it's an important step, that putting it back into hot water; when it's not done, the egg is a cold as ice. As was the eggs on my friend's Eggs Benedict. However, the poached eggs on my other friends plate were hot. The second morning was no better than the first on service...it was slow, and worse, it's like they are ignoring you. They don't even make eye contact. That morning I ordered the Biscuits and Gravy...let me say this...clearly...DON'T...it's not Biscuits and Gravy, it's a biscuit in some white stuff with some slices of sausage and mushrooms...that's just not right.

I do want to give a shout out to TJ and the guy with the Tats, (sorry can't remember your name) you guys were great!

LindySez: It's a nice place to stay, central to many sites, comfortable, and the food is good...just don't expect it any time soon.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2009

I was in Chicago to run the marathon and needed a place that offered a peaceful, relaxing room to help calm my marathon nerves and the Dana was perfect. I had a corner room with two walls of floor to ceiling windows and often times I would get lost just looking out into the city. Other times, I melted into the oh-so-comfy bed and let the stress flow away from me. The modern, urban decor of the hotel actally allowed me to forget I was in hotel and it was more like a home away from home. I'm not such a great writer so all the postiive things other reviewers have said....I'll just ditto those comments. The staff was great. My check-in took all of 90 seconds. My check-out less. The concierge was quick with restaurant suggestions that were perfect. The hotel was even kind enough to have coffee, bottled water, bananas, bagels, etc. for guest marathoners on race morning. What a nice, unexpected, very thoughtful treat. Suffice to say, I'll be back at the Dana anytime I return to Chicago - and that's as often as I can. Great city. Fantastic hotel. Couldn't have asked for better.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2009

My wife and I came into Chicago on a late Thursday evening for the Chicago marathon. The staff was very friendly and helpful in getting us settled. The location of the hotel in Chicago left us only several blocks off Michigan Ave. and the shopping district which we truly enjoyed. The front desk staff. waiters, and doormen were very cordial and helpful with any of our questions. The room was clean, and comfortable. It was nice to come in from a day out in Chicago to a turned down bed and a quiet room. This hotels location to the Navy Pier, the lake shore park, numerous restaurants, and shopping made our visit a great one.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Attended a small conference at the hotel and stayed there for three nights (extended for long weekend of sightseeing after the conference). My colleague and I were in total agreement that this was a stellar hotel experience -- on the flight home we tried as hard as we could to find something to criticize and couldn't come up with a single thing! The modern design of the building was wonderful (new construction) and the interior design very contemporary but classy -- just the style we both like. My room was a huge suite with great decor, a huge bathroom with gigantic walk-in double shower and two balconies. The make or break with any hotel room really is the bed and this one was fantastically comfortable with beautiful fine linens. You know, so many hotels have a trendy design aesthetic and decent beds, but what really made this experience supreme was the staff -- they were all young but on their game. Everyone from the clerks at check-in to the room service attendee, to the waiters in the restaurant, to the concierge, to the doormen, to the manicurist, they all just had that special something: a friendly quiet confidence in their manner that made you feel comfortable and taken care of. Bravo to them and the manager who knows how to hire for keepers. Bravo to all! I would stay here again without a moment of hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Pros:
Great location - very central.
Our corner room had 2 walls of floor to ceiling windows and an unpainted concrete ceiling. We really loved the modern decor and it felt very spacious, but maybe that was because of the corner location.
We were very happy with the amenities in the room - fantastically comfortable bed, wonderful (huge) shower, coffee maker, safe.
The inclusion of a Zeppelin mp3 player is impressive, even if we didn't use it.
Our deal included $15 breakfast vouchers. We enjoyed the breakfasts, but without those vouchers, we probably would have taken breakfast elsewhere, as it's a bit pricey.
The check-in machines located in the lobby enabled us to print out our boarding passes for the flight home. Awesome. Very impressed with these!

Cons:
The elevators. I know this sounds ridiculous, but they are the single worst thing about this hotel. The elevators shot past our floor on a regular basis, as we weren't fast enough on the trigger with our key cards. What's the point of every guest having to insert their card to select their floor when, if they were really intent on causing mayhem on a floor where they don't belong, they could just walk up or down the stair shaft to another floor anyway?! Hotel management seriously need to ditch the card system - it's infuriating. We met a disabled guest with a walking aid, riding up and down the elevator for ages, trying in vain to reach his floor.
Finding a way to enter the rooftop bar was rather a quest, as you cannot go there directly from the guest elevators. You have to go via security, even to be allowed in to the special elevator up to the bar. In any other hotel with a rooftop bar, I'd have been up there several times, maybe even in the daytime, checking out the view. Not a chance with this one. When we did finally make it up there, all the areas near the windows were sectioned off for private parties anyway. It felt like they're actively trying to discourage guests from drinking in the rooftop bar.
There was no information in the room re. the location of the spa.
All of this creates a general feeling of "We're too cool to tell you where anything is", which is a bit tiresome.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends