“Great Hotel”
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #60 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 6 February 2011

I stayed here with a few friends, the hotel is excellant. The rooms are superb with some great views. The hotel staff are helpful and friendly. The roof top bar was good in Jan and will be even better in the summer.

One to recommend

• Stayed: January 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (3,932)

Reviewed 5 February 2011

The rooms are amazing, I could live in the shower. The staff is very friendly. I had dinner in aja, I recommend the seabass!

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 24 January 2011

The Dana is very trendy. Great rooftop bar (Vertigo). Beds in room were very large and comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 January 2011

We have stayed at the Dana Hotel every Christmas holiday for the past 4 years and occasionally throughout the year. We are treated like one of the family from the doorman outside who always recognizes us to the staff in the lobby. We always get an upgrade to a corner room which is the way to go always as the views are spectacular, rooms fully stocked with nice amenities( ipod/iphone docks, stocked wine cooler, excellent toiletries) and the beds are so comfortable. This hotel used to be relatively affordable by Chicago standards until a write up in a travel magazine as one of the top new boutique hotels in the world and then the prices shot up, but around Christmas and during the winter season it is easy to get a rate of $89-100 per night. This is a modern hotel and if you are shy about possibly being seen in your room by the apartment right across the street then maybe this is not the place for you as the windows do afford views into your room all the way into the bathroom via the oversized shower. The only complaint i would have about this place is the restaurant in which breakfast is served in the morning is very expensive for what you get, but there are plenty of places around the area to get a cheap standard breakfast without paying couture prices. If you can wait until 10am you can always go right across the street to Bijans which is a great place for eats anytime and they serve until late at night. My last visit i did go up to the rooftop club, Sky Bar, and although it was during the day it seemed very musky and nothing special honestly although it is a reputed "hot spot" on the weekends. Overall i would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2011

I stayed at the Dana Hotel and Spa two days ago, I was in for a weekend wedding. Right off the bat my excellent experience began. It started with the the general "look" of the hotel. Everything is clean cut, relaxed environment. I had stayed in a Comfy room, I LOVED IT! Very comfy indeed. The room was beautifully designed and very modern. These employees are exceptional when it comes to guest service. They have a personal touch, that reaches myself as a guest and everyone else who walks through your lobby. My check-in experience was phenomenal, I believe the agent that worked with me was a woman named Jill. This woman went above and beyond the call of duty to make my check in experience wonderful. She was very understanding and caring when it came to my multitude of questions. She made sure everything from my bags to the the soap bars in the bathroom were ready to go for me and taken care of.. Now I have stayed at many hotels before, usually 4 star and up. I have never had the service I did with Jill. I will definitely be staying here more often, when I get the chance! Definitely keep her around! My hats off to all of you at the Dana Hotel and Spa! Keep up the great work!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 January 2011

This was our first time at the Dana and we loved it. We are telling all of our friends, family and colleagues about it. The front desk staff, Joe and Eve, made a great first impression and were most helpful throughout our stay. The room/view was awesome. We'll be back soon.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2011

My boyfriend and I and another couple stayed here over the New Year's holiday. Although the room rates were significantly higher during this time, both parties were upgraded to corner rooms, two sides of wall-to-wall windows looking out at the Chicago skyline. In addition, we enjoyed the hard wood floors, comfortable king-size bed, and rain shower. With the well-designed rooms and great location, during the off season the Dana hotel would provide excellent value. If the waitstaff improves this venue may become my hotel of choice for Chicago.

The only downside to the hotel is the mediocre waitstaff who seemed unenthusiastic about waking up early in the morning. When our table of six asked our server for more cream for our coffee we were informed that there was already one pot on the table. The staff seemed more interested in catching up with each other then waiting on patrons. Notable exceptions to this include Miroslav, the Bulgarian buss boy, who went out of his way to anticipate the needs of his tables. The concierge, manager, and check-in staff were all friendly and helpful.

The location also can't be beat. We were able to walk everywhere in the city--premier shopping sites are only five blocks away and the Art Museum is a 20 minute walk.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple