The Beadle Residences at Hyde Park
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 May 2010

We were visiting our son at the university and this was an excellent location for the Hyde Park area, along with quick access (by car) to downtown. Hyde Park is quiet, yet well-serviced for shops and restaurants. There is a supermarket and other shops very close by. The apartment was spacious, clean and modern. It was a pleasant and relaxing environment, with a whirlpool bath. Wayne, the Manager, who is resident in one of the apartments was very helpful and friendly, and he always responded to any request or query that we had. We checked out and were stranded at a hotel near the airport, due to the volcanic ash situation in Europe. We had no hesitation in calling Wayne and returning to the Beadle Residence. He was very helpful and did all he could to help us during this time.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2010

This is our second time to stay at the Beadle Residence. Our first stay was last August, 2009, when we moved our daughter into her apartment in Hyde Park. I love the location of the Beadle because it is only 1/2 a mile from where our daughter lives, but it is also a very peaceful and quiet neighbourhood. After spending most days in the city, it is so nice to come back to this refuge. (Can you tell that I am not a "city" person?) We have discovered a very nice market within walking distance and an excellent restaurant that we have visited twice. (Pizza Capri - try the deep dish pizza!)

Some words of advice: If you need to do much laundry, ask for a unit with a larger washer. This stay we were given a very small washer, and I preferred the larger appliance we had during our first stay. Also, beware that the beds are very firm. This is okay for us because my husband has a back problem. Overall, I am pleased with the rooms and especially like having kitchen and laundry facilities.

The staff that I have had dealings with are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2009

Those considering staying at this location should be aware that this is really not a hotel --just apartments that have been converted into short-term residences. The units do have a small kitchen and living area, but they are furnished with futons for couches and other uncomfortable furniture. Although the manager was extremely helpful when we arrived, she then disappeared for the rest of our stay, so we had no one to ask for help when our television didn't work. The soundproofing was dismal so we heard televisions in other spaces throughout the night--kind of ironic since we couldn't get ours to work. This is a good location for people visiting the university for a while or for those just wanting a comfortable and inexpensive place to stay in Hyde Park. But be aware that it really isn't the equivalent of a stay in a hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JAS940
Reviewed 13 September 2009

I was trying to find an affordable hotel for the Chicago Half marathon and stumbled upon this place. It is in a beautiful tree lined area of Hyde Park, just under 2mi from the race start at Jackson Park. The room was immaculate. It appeared to be furnished with IKEA furniture and comfortable. The hotel manager helped us get convenient hotel parking (off street) and even allowed us flexibility for our check out time when we were running late for the race. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2008

We returned some weeks ago from some days at the Beaddle Inn in Hyde Park, Chicago. Is an appartment hotel that has just started to work.
We were obliged to book here because of a Medical Meeting at Chicago and as usual all hotels were sold out. We were 4 collegues travelling from France and booked a 2 room suite.
One of us had some problems to find the hotel, from O'Hare Airport he took the metro to Chigaco downtown then some bus and he got lost in between. For the rest of us, we had no problems to get there, we decided to take a taxi because we were tired and shuttles dont go to Hyde Park (the taxi fare was around $70 US dollars). Other good option would have been to take a shuttle, bus or metro to Chicago Downtown and then take the Metra ($2,3 US single trip, $20 US 10 rides and around $ 5 US weekend fare) to 53rd Street HypePark station. The metra station is around 5 minutes away walking.
During our stay we came back to the hotel very late and did not have any problems in the neighboorhood, it was always very calm because of the University and there were security cars patrolling all the time (also at night).
They had just opened the hotel-appartment business, so we had some minor problems (one of my collegues was not able to receive a call from his wife in France but to call in town was ok. There was no "real" reception and we weer provided with a mobile phone number in case of any problem, fortunately the first day we arrived around 17:00 there was someone from the staff waiting to give us our keys).
The rooms and furniture were new, very nice decorated with a completely equiped american kitchen. Flat screen with cable TV. Hot water all the time. One of the inconveniences is that the Hotel is not very practical if you want to hang out late night near Michican Avenue and the Loop, Metra train leaves Millenium Station in Chicago in direction to Hyde Park every 45 minutes or more until 1:00 am. A trip by taxi from Chicago downtown to Hyde Park at 1:00 was around $30 US. For those wanting to relax after a long congress day is the perfect place (if you like to cook!). There is a fast food hamburger chain nearby and for breakfast a very good PancakeHouse in front of the Metra station.
There are other restaurants that we did not have the time to explore and a big book store.
For people going to Mc Cormick place (like us) check the Metra timetable because you can be waiting for almost 30 min or even more if you miss the train. It is a 10 minute trip and you get directly to Mc Cormicks.

I am sure with time they will be able to solve those minor issues, Wayne the manager is a serious and respectable guy. I had a problem checking out, my credit card was charged thrice by mistake but he reimbursed me immediately. Oh, surprise! Back home when I received my bank account statement there was a difference of more than $80 US between the 3 mistaken charges and reimbursements. I called my bank in France, they said it was a problem at the hotel, I contacted Wayne who was also surprised to hear this and even if we did not know what was the problem he accepted the responsability (it was their mistake) and reimbursed me the difference.
We definitely recommend this Hotel appartment.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Rodrigo_Ruiz