“Be sure to step out onto the Skydeck Ledge”

Skydeck Chicago - Willis Tower
Ranked #5 of 683 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: No trip to Chicago is complete without a visit to the top of the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere and The Ledge at Skydeck Chicago! Treat yourself to a "one stop Chicago" experience on your journey to the 103rd floor. Enjoy 360-degree views spanning up to 50 miles and 4 states and our most spectacular view - 1,353 feet straight down! "Dare to Stand Out" on The Ledge - glass balconies extending 4.3 Feet outside the building provide a thrilling, once in a lifetime experience!
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Skydeck Ledge is something you've got to experience. There will be a couple of them with professional photographers, but there is also at least one ledge without photographers where you can take your own pictures. It doesn't look like much but that first step out onto the glass ledge is surprisingly freaky to experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (13,995)
All reviews
"gift shop"
in 257 reviews
"take pictures"
in 264 reviews
"great view of the city"
in 109 reviews
"lake michigan"
in 197 reviews
in 1,722 reviews
in 1,941 reviews

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This attraction is a must if you are in Chicago. The views were outstanding. Note: get there early as it gets rather packed, also go on a clear day so you can see the whole city.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I highly recommend arriving an hour before it opens. My husband, Mike and were the first ones in line outside the entrance door. From what I have read the average wait time is 2 hours throughout the day. While we waited before we were allowed in, it was well worth it. We had the ledge to ourselves and hopped in and out of the other two ledges. The fourth ledge was designated for the professional photographer. Being on the ledge all by ourselves was certainly the highlight of our trip to Chicago.

Once we were permitted inside the building, we walked through windy roped paths to the first elevator to take us to the second floor. We looked back at the ropes and were ecstatic we chose to arrive there early. When we reached the second floor, the designated windy path for the line continued. It looked like it went on for miles. We crawled underneath the ropes to save time. By the time, we reached the elevator to take us to the skydeck, we were the only two people in the elevator!!!! Our ears popped as the elevator took us to the 103rd floor!!

We walked off the elevator to a floor full of windows with incredible views of the city. The entire floor was empty other than us and a few employees at the tower. It was incredible. I felt like royalty for a few minutes since we were on the 103rd floor without any other tourist! There were a total of four glass cube ledges that extended 4.3 feet outward from the edge of the building. The floor was glass, the ceiling was glass, and the surrounding walls were glass. One ledge was designated for professional photographers to take pictures of tourists. The other three ledges were for tourists to have fun. It was a little nerve wrecking to take the first step out onto the ledge and look down 1,353 feet to the city below. After I stepped out onto the ledge and confirmed how sturdy it was, I was fine. It was such an incredible experience to stand out on the ledge and experience the city. The views were spectacular. From what we were told, the views are so expansive you can see up to four states. I cannot say with certainty how many states we saw while up there, but the views were extraordinary.

Mike and I had the opportunity to have the entire glass box ledge extending outward off the building to the city below to ourselves for quite awhile. It wasn't long before our new-found friends from Minneapolis that were behind us in line joined us in the other two glass cubes. We beat them up because Mike purchased our tickets in advance ($20 each per person), which allowed us to go straight to the skydeck instead of waiting to purchase our tickets there. The six of us had a blast before the stream of people started congesting the floor. While our experience on the ledge was still amazing as the crowds of people arrived, once the crowds arrived, nobody had a ledge to themselves anymore. They were shared. People would move out of the way for other people's pictures, but one group would be on the left side of the cube, another group would take their pictures on the right side of the cube, and sometimes, people even crowded in the middle. Being there early was truly worth it and made the experience all the more memorable.

The longer we were there, the constantly more crowded it became. When traveling, I always pick my top must-do attraction and determine the best time to visit it. I knew the average wait time to get to the skydeck was 2 hours so I knew it would be best to do that first before the line of tourists arrived. The early bird gets the worm. We did the same thing when we went to the Louvre in Paris, and had the same result, except instead of being first in line like we were at the Willis Tower, we were second in line. Being on the ledge all by ourselves was certainly the highlight of our trip.

2  Thank Lenore R
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Make this either your first or last stop as it gives a great overview of the city. My kids loved it- gave them perspective on the size of the city. Skydeck is a must. City Pass allows you to skip the line.