“Long waits, high price”

Ranked #15 of 667 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: No trip to Chicago is complete without a visit to the top of the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere and The Ledge at Skydeck Chicago! Treat yourself to a "one stop Chicago" experience on your journey to the 103rd floor. Enjoy 360-degree views spanning up to 50 miles and 4 states and our most spectacular view - 1,353 feet straight down! "Dare to Stand Out" on The Ledge - glass balconies extending 4.3 Feet outside the building provide a thrilling, once in a lifetime experience!
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Not worth the 90-minute wait or the money for the view on a Sunday afternoon. Lines to buy get through security, to buy tickets, to view the video and then for the elevators--up and down. Many rude visitors push ahead, especially for the SkyLedge. The views toward Lake Michigan are lovely, but not much to see from the windows facing west and south.

1  Thank LIWordsmith

Reviewed 27 August 2014

I love skyscrapers and since this was the first skyscrapers I've ever visited I was absolutely impressed. We didn't have to wait too long in a queue (10 minutes) and we enjoyed every bit of it. Glass skydeck is unbelievable - not for everyone. :) The best thing is you can be there as long as you want (we were there about 3 hours (!) to see both day and night. A must see in Chicago!

1  Thank RadimKlimek
Reviewed 26 August 2014

As we went up the world's fastest elevators to the 103rd floor of the Willis Tower I didn't realize what I was about to experience. As the elevator doors opened and I gazed out the windows, it looked like we were in the clouds, as it was a foggy day. As the fog drifted we got a great view of the city and Lake Michigan. Stepping out onto the glass was an experience that I will not soon forget. Great experience, and definitely worth the money!

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My daughter and I visited the Skydeck in Chicago at the end of August. We got there before it even opened and were one of the first ones up to the 103rd floor.
I think getting there early was a big plus. It wasn't that crowded and we were able to take a lot of photos.
I have to admit, it was a little hard taking that first step out on the glass ledge . . . but what wonderful photos we took of our experience!!
I was actually quite happily surprised at how organized and nice the other visitors were. There are 3 ledges that you can go out on . . . and a 4th one where a photographer will take your photo. Two groups of people were allowed out on each ledge at a time to take photos. Everyone in line was quite patient and let each group have their time on the ledge . . . even taking photos for the groups.
I am 56 years old and really wasn't sure I'd be able to go on the ledge. But I was quite proud of myself that I did it.
I would definitely go back again.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We only had a couple of days to spend in Chicago and unfortunately wasted 4+ hours waiting in long snaking lines in the dark with bad ventilation (we had the express ticket via Citypass) with, literally, hundreds and hundreds of people to take one of two elevators (each holds about 25 people) to go up to the top to see the view.

The "photo" people want to get your picture all the time so that they can later sell them to you for $25 (!!).

At the top of the building there is a souvenir vendor (of course). Then, after you go down in teh elevator, you are forced/obliged to pass through another 4 (yes 4!) further shops, a vending area, a small place with childrens coin-op rides and...finally and thankfully... you get to sneak out if you manage to find the exit.

Most people seemed to get lost in the maze.

This attraction was a big disappointment and a money trap and, in my opinion, really unsafe in case of fire or emergency as well.

1  Thank Nikki K