“Chicago Icon”

Ranked #14 of 657 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: No trip to Chicago is complete without a visit to the top of the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere and The Ledge at Skydeck Chicago! Treat yourself to a "one stop Chicago" experience on your journey to the 103rd floor. Enjoy 360-degree views spanning up to 50 miles and 4 states and our most spectacular view - 1,353 feet straight down! "Dare to Stand Out" on The Ledge - glass balconies extending 4.3 Feet outside the building provide a thrilling, once in a lifetime experience!
Reviewed 27 August 2014

It's one of those things that if you've been to (or lived in) Chicago you just have to do at least once. yes at $19 per adult and i think 10 fora child.... its on the pricy side but it's the same cost as the Hancocks 360 another Chicago must do. We recently spent the day downtown being tourists and decided to go for it. It was a bit overcast and started to storm which on the one hand kept the crowds away but on the other gave us a less than ideal view. The thunderstorm while we were up there was actually pretty cool but everyone wants to see the crystal clear view so be sure to try to visit on a clear day. You can read about and then watch a movie about the history of the "sears" tower and then get ready for the elevator ride up to the 103rd floor. for those a bit squeamish there is a video on the elevator to distract both up and down which was great for the kids. my little guy's ears popped so be sure to have some gum or candy. I'm sure they sell it but honestly who knows the price in the gift shops ;) Hint: There are actually 4 ledges. The first line is where they take pictures of you that they try to sell you later and no they wont allow you to use your own photos. Skip the first line and go to one of the other 3 and you can stand out there and take your own pictures....there was a bit of a wait but it's worth saving 30 bucks on a picture or not having one at all.

3  Thank newtoy
There are newer reviews for Skydeck Chicago - Willis Tower

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Not worth the 90-minute wait or the money for the view on a Sunday afternoon. Lines to buy get through security, to buy tickets, to view the video and then for the elevators--up and down. Many rude visitors push ahead, especially for the SkyLedge. The views toward Lake Michigan are lovely, but not much to see from the windows facing west and south.

1  Thank LIWordsmith
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I love skyscrapers and since this was the first skyscrapers I've ever visited I was absolutely impressed. We didn't have to wait too long in a queue (10 minutes) and we enjoyed every bit of it. Glass skydeck is unbelievable - not for everyone. :) The best thing is you can be there as long as you want (we were there about 3 hours (!) to see both day and night. A must see in Chicago!

1  Thank RadimKlimek
Reviewed 26 August 2014

As we went up the world's fastest elevators to the 103rd floor of the Willis Tower I didn't realize what I was about to experience. As the elevator doors opened and I gazed out the windows, it looked like we were in the clouds, as it was a foggy day. As the fog drifted we got a great view of the city and Lake Michigan. Stepping out onto the glass was an experience that I will not soon forget. Great experience, and definitely worth the money!

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My daughter and I visited the Skydeck in Chicago at the end of August. We got there before it even opened and were one of the first ones up to the 103rd floor.
I think getting there early was a big plus. It wasn't that crowded and we were able to take a lot of photos.
I have to admit, it was a little hard taking that first step out on the glass ledge . . . but what wonderful photos we took of our experience!!
I was actually quite happily surprised at how organized and nice the other visitors were. There are 3 ledges that you can go out on . . . and a 4th one where a photographer will take your photo. Two groups of people were allowed out on each ledge at a time to take photos. Everyone in line was quite patient and let each group have their time on the ledge . . . even taking photos for the groups.
I am 56 years old and really wasn't sure I'd be able to go on the ledge. But I was quite proud of myself that I did it.
I would definitely go back again.